Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Progress on the Treit and Davenport liner

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ChevyAsylum, Apr 11, 2010.

1. ChevyAsylum

ChevyAsylum
    Member Emeritus

Target 550 update 221:

This is a different sort of update from the Target 550 team. It's about Marlo Treit (head dude at Target 550) and Gil Ruiz (long time LSR racer) and what happened at El Mirage in November. It's a "human interest" story....a very powerful one. Hope you enjoy it.

http://www.target550.com/gallery/221_two_men/index.html

[​IMG]

2. loudbang

loudbang

One hell of a good story.

3. Thanks for sharing that with us. It just goes to show you that old farts have feelings too.

4. Chevyasylum, i read with much intrest the update on project 550. I sold marlo a '56 ford big window pickup about 16 or 17 years ago. I lived in central kansas at the time. This is when i first learned of the plans for project 550. I never had the pleasure of meeting marlo in person but have talked to him several times on the phone. He did invite me to bonneville several times but never made it during speedweek. I was out there a week late once in about '98. Thanks for posting the very interesting updates.

5. ChevyAsylum

ChevyAsylum
    Member Emeritus

I'm glad y'all enjoyed that story. Freud deserves most of the credit. He shot the photos, wrote the text.

It was one hall of a story. Gil's health is declining (whose isn't?) and Marlo ain't gettin any younger (who isn't?) so it's prolly a good thing that this happened this year. There are several of Freud's photos that still give me goose bumps just lookin at 'em.

Let's hope we make it thru the winter and can get to the salt next year!

6. ChevyAsylum

ChevyAsylum
    Member Emeritus

7. Merry Christmas Ray and crew!

8. ChevyAsylum

ChevyAsylum
    Member Emeritus

9. ChevyAsylum

ChevyAsylum
    Member Emeritus

10. ChevyAsylum

ChevyAsylum
    Member Emeritus

Guess what? Another Target 550 post!
    http://www.target550.com/gallery/225_blue_skin/index.html

I think you'll like what ya see there, although there aren't a ton of photos, they show something I've been waiting to see: Color! There's a possibility that it might not stay that way (it may look a little different at the Grand National Roadster Show later this month) but for now, it looks good in blue. Glenn Freudenberger (aka Freud) sent me this photo as a "teaser."

[​IMG]

Hope ya enjoy it.

11. ChevyAsylum

ChevyAsylum
    Member Emeritus

Well, the liner didn't stay blue very long. In rapid sequence, the blue came off, the metallic black went on, followed by the application of metallic silver graphics and then an over-the-top photo shoot by Swanson Studios of Portland.

My head's been spinning since I got an email from Marlo that said, in essence, "how soon can ya get here?" Lessee...Northern Utah to western Oregon, 2 days, plus a day to get my shit together. Then 2 days while the blue was unwrapped (that was pretty much done by the time I got there) and the black wrap went on. This was followed by a blur of being at the photo shoot watching guys take up massive amounts of digital storage with still and video imagery during the day and workin on other projects in my "off time." Somewhere I have a piece of paper that sez I'm retired, but I don't bleeve it. n.b.: This is self-inflicted. I just do what I see that I can do to help and hopefully not hinder the T-550 team.

So. Somehow we got to Pomona for the Grand National Roadster Show and I got a group of photos on the server showing the first part of the application of the black vinyl wrap:

http://www.target550.com/gallery/226_rewrap_01/index.html

[​IMG]

The dude in the photo above isn't invoking spells of witchcraft (I don't think, anyway) but ya gotta read the post to see what he's doing.

We move the liner into the display hall tomorrow and there may be a photo op with Danny Thompson's Challenger liner. I'll just start pointin cameras and see what shows up on the chip.

Hope to see some of ya there.

Ohh...here are a coupla shots from the high-zoot photo layout deal:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My photos, but their setup...which made a big difference.

12. ChevyAsylum

ChevyAsylum
    Member Emeritus

Attached Files:

13. loudbang

loudbang

What are the awesome photos going to be used for or by the sponsors maybe.

14. Very nice Ray!

15. ChevyAsylum

ChevyAsylum
    Member Emeritus

All I can tell you (since I don't really know any more) is that "they're trying to help." I wish I knew more, but I'm still on the road (Ely, Nv tonite) and haven't been in touch to see if more info is available.

16. ChevyAsylum

ChevyAsylum
    Member Emeritus

17. I am sad to report that Ray aka ChevyAsylum has passed away. RIP my friend.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

18. Freud gave me a tour, at this years GNRS. Only 6 dzus fasteners, total. And they're all in the office. Amazing work

19. PKap

PKap
    from Alberta

Wow, that's sad. I really enjoyed this thread. He was great at what he was doing, and seemed to have been enjoying his "retirement". Wish he could have watched that black liner running down the salt.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

20. Sad news for sure!
    I've enjoyed every post he shared on this awesome Liner!
    RIP Ray..............

21. Bummer, I enjoyed his updates on the Target 550.

Lost way too many this last two weeks.

22. yeah Steve, been a bad week here but the bench racing up in the clouds must be EPIC. RIP to all we have lost recently.

23. Very sad news indeed.
    I always looked forward to his updates on this thread.
    RIP

24. derFREUD

derFREUD

I will continue to post on Target 550.com but it will be a while before I accomplish that. Ray did all of it for me and I do not have the passwords. There are several people that are Hambers and I will feed info to them. This is just one example of how much I relied upon him and how much I will miss him. On Landracing.com there is a large post dedicated to remembering him. It is listed as Ray the Rat and is in the Health, Welfare and Passing section. Please check it out. There is another section listed as Bad Day. It too is dedicated to him . Both sites have many fotos.

Ray.....RIP.

[email protected]

FREUD

25. derFREUD

derFREUD

26. The37Kid

The37Kid

Very sad to read this news of Ray passing. Thoughts and prayers going out to his family and friends. Bob

27. derFREUD

derFREUD

28. Very sorry to hear this. I always looked forward to his posts keeping us updated. His spirit will be along for the ride when she finally hits the salt.