Register now to get rid of these ads!

"other" steering boxes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 46international, Sep 13, 2012.

1. The Model "A" headlight switch "knob" is in the middle of the steering wheel and turns the horn rod that goes all the way thru the steering box to operate the actual headlight switch which is mounted on the end of the "A" steering box.

2. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I'm a big fan of alternative steering boxes! I scour the local wrecking yards to see what might be used for projects. I found a Corvair van box for my Austin sedan project that worked great.
    When I started building my '63 Falcon gasser, I wanted a steering box that would sit above the frame, but drop below the frame to line up with the straight axle, and cross steer. I found an old late 70's Courier/Mazda truck box that is very tall, and sits outside the frame, so leaves the engine bay clear inside the rails. The box also offsets over the top of the frame, so lines up well with the column, and less angle on U joints. Only $30 too, so very economical. Had to pull the pitman arm and grind the spline out, so I could install it 180 degrees out to work, but it fit perfect when done!
    [​IMG]

3. I just shipped a 50 Chevy truck box/column for under $20.00 thru the post office,...coarse it depends on how far you are shipping

4. 33WIRE

33WIRE

i used a reversed 67 camaro manual box 525 style in my model a. y
    ou can reverse them just like the corvair; takes a bit of engineering but steers great and probably wont need rebuilding like an old worn out f100 box

5. willymakeit

willymakeit

Is this for cowl steer or cross steer? Im looking for options. Any links? I will do a search also.

6. For push/pull, I like the (ahem) Suzuki Samurai box. I turn the whole thing in a lathe and then run it through a round tube sleeve in the frame rail.

7. '64-'69 Dodge A100 van has a side steer version of the GM Saginaw manual box. I had one I gave to a friend building a '21 Studebaker roadster. Worked great.

8. silversink

silversink

my model A is getting a ross box out of an 48 kb1 International

9. My son is doing a 47 International, and we want to convert to a cross steer box. We have even contemplated going to a Unisteer rack setup. Thanks for putting out some other options. Even though it is a 400 small block, there isn't a lot of room between the frame rails.
    Bob

Attached Files: