Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Lowering my 56

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by richie56, Dec 6, 2013.

1. richie56

richie56
    from ny

Maybe someone can help here, lowering a 56f100, tires on now are too thick, is there a minimum distance I need between fender and tire to work.

Wondering if 1" is enough, so not to rub on turns and bumps, already tried with a template and all that, seems to work but close, I can get narrower tire to get me another 1/2", but this will decrease the tire height which I'd like to keep to be close to the rear tires height.

Thanks Richie.

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

3. richie56

richie56
    from ny

This photo shows the truck as it sits now, need narrower rims and tires to get inside the fenders, without changing the entire front suspension, 1 1/4" between fender and tire is the most I can get, with a 7" rim and tire., already checked all backspacing issues.

[​IMG]

Need to know if anyone has a lowered car or truck with this clearance and if it works, Thanks.

4. willymakeit

willymakeit

What suspension? What is the wheel offset?
    I'm running 255/70's on the rear of mine. Will check the front in the a.m.

5. richie56

richie56
    from ny

The suspension hasn't been lowered yet, chassis is from 86 C10, going with 2 to 3 drop spindles, new springs and shocks up front, my main issue is the minimum clearance between tire and fender that I would need to work correctly without rubbing when turning.

The smallest 18" rim is 18x7 with 4.25 backspace, with tire this leaves me about 1 to 1 1/4" space between tire and inside of fender when dropped.

They will make any backspace I like in the same rim, just have to order two piece, but this will cost double, another $250 a rim, ouch.

So be it if that is what's needed.

The rear isn't an issue.

Thanks.

6. willymakeit

willymakeit

This is one you will have to figure out. I would want at least 1'' on either side of the tire for clearance.
    You will need the section width ect. for the tires you want to run. Google or research hoe to measure backspacing on wheels/ tires.

7. richie56

richie56
    from ny

Thank You, guess I'll have to see when it's done if it will work, know all about backspacing and section width, just wondered if anyone here had a dropped car or truck with that clearance.

8. 1955IHC

1955IHC

Fatman Fabrication makes narrower control arms specifically for the suspension you are using.

Sent via Illinois Bell Telephone Company's Car Radiotelephone

9. crunchyg

crunchyg
    from Michigan

Don't just go with a bare minimum or you can easily get in trouble. I mean how high is it right now?