Register now to get rid of these ads!

64 falcon 9" width suggestions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rocketsled59, Dec 8, 2013.

1. rocketsled59

rocketsled59

My 64 futura had a 57 1/4 8" in it when I got it. I have a 9" from a 68 ish mustang. 59 and change wide. I'm cutting it down to accommodate the 28spline axles from the 8". Springs in stock location. However the car sets higher than stock as it an f/x style car. What width rear wheels can I fit in this thing? I'm sure I'll have to stretch rear wheel opening some. I'm wondering if I can get a 15x8 standard offset with a 29" x 8" cheater. Or is 15x7 with a 7" cheater a better fit? Looking for some insight from some one who has done this already. Thanks gentlemen....

2. Veach

Veach

On my 60 Wagon I'm running P215/70R15s on the front and P245/60R15s on the rear and 15X8 Wheels but I had to do a little work on the rear to make them fit but not much

3. rocketsled59

rocketsled59

4. R.Grundy

R.Grundy
    from Sarnia Ont

Ive found a 15x7 with a 4.5 back space fits real nice with the stock width 8 inch

5. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

At stock ride height a 26"x8.5" M/T et drag slick just fits in the stock wheel well (with a little work to the outer fender well lip) with the stock width 8" rear end (it's a pretty tight fit on the inside also).

If you want more room, and still have the stock 8" in at the moment you can measure how much clearance you have between the leaf spring, (or u bolt) to the backing plate. You should be able to gain a inch, or two more room per side by narrowing the housing an inch, or two per side, but you may need slightly narrower axles depending on what differential you are running (spool, locker, etc).

6. 65COMET

65COMET

Put your wheel/tire combo under the car with the car at your ride height and measure between the flange area.That will let you know EXACTLY what width you need! I have a 65 Falcon wagon using a Mavrick 8"[narrower than a Falcon 8"] and I have 14X7s with a 225X70X14 tire and still had to roll the lip! ROY.

7. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

You can also cut the inner wheel wells out, and move them inwards some, then weld in a strip of sheet metal to tie the inner, and outer wheel wells back together (mini tubbing) to gain some extra clearance.

8. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

I managed to get a 10 wide in the stock width wheel opening. I did stretch the wheel opening front to rear though, relocate the springs inboard, roll the lip and had to massage the inner wheel house a little. I think the rear I had made was 56 1/4 wide. As mentioned above if you already have the wheels and tires it helps a lot.

9. rocketsled59

rocketsled59

I don't have the wheels and tires that I ultimately plan to run. I do have some old cheaters on steel wheels that would give me a baseline measurement but they aren't the size I'm hoping to be able to use. I guess it's just gonna be trial and error. Russco, got a any pics of the one you did?

10. rocketsled59

rocketsled59

Roy do you know the width of that maverick axle? My 9" will be 57 1/4.( I am cutting down my 9" housing to same width as 8" and using the 8" axles to get this thing going however , later , I would like to respline the 9" shafts as they are not tapered) If that will accommodate an 8" wheel with a 4" offset and 29" x 8" slick inside the stock wheelhouse , that would be perfect

11. rocketsled59

rocketsled59

Roy do you know the width of that maverick axle? My 9" will be 57 1/4.( I am cutting down my 9" housing to same width as 8" and using the 8" axles to get this thing going however , later , I would like to respline the 9" shafts as they are not tapered) If that will accommodate an 8" wheel with a 4" offset and 29" x 8" slick inside the stock wheelhouse , that would be perfect

12. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL