Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Gene (Moonlighter) Cromer's A/G Willys Resurrection

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Quain Stott, Aug 31, 2012.

1. racinman

racinman
    Member Emeritus

Great Video... & Hope Gene has a Speedy recovery...

2. dirt42

dirt42

Great interview Quain your doing a great job representing the gasser race cars. Gene wishing you a speedy recovery from your recent surgery.

3. OldColt

OldColt

A milestone for this thread today. One year since Gene's first post. It's simply amazing what all has transpired since that time.

Wake up Hollywood, the "Moonlighter Story" is similar to "Sea Bisquit", but much more interesting. It could be a Box Office hit in my opinion.

I can just see it now ... The movie opens in Sepia Tone with Gene giving his girlfriend Ruth a ride on his new motorcycle circa 1950, then boy Quain hanging on the fence watching his hero win races. The movie ends with Gene's induction into the East Coast Hall of Fame and victory at Greer Dragway after all the amazing events in between.

--- Steve ---

4. Frank Taylor

Frank Taylor
    from Iva, SC

I like the way you think.
    I saw Gene on Wednesday and he is doing fine. Ruth has him on a tight leash while he's recuperating.

5. dirt42

dirt42

Thanks for the update Frank. Glad to hear Gene is recuperating under the watchful eye of Ruth, this way there will be no setbacks.

6. loudbang

loudbang

Hell ya I would go watch it.

7. catdad49

catdad49

Thank Frank for the update, do you think he'll be ready for next season? I'd put my money on Gene!

8. Gene will be ready. HRP

9. tbenvie

tbenvie

"good friend of mine Robert McCorkle he and his brother Randy used to run a amx in super stock in the 70s "

Robert is a great guy-talked to him numerous times about his AMX days. Here is a link of his and Randy's AMX:

http://www.superstockamx.com/page28.php

10. I spent a hour or so with Gene last Friday and he is doing well,,and as Frank said Ruth has him on a short leash.:D HRP

11. Gene Cromer

Gene Cromer
    Member Emeritus

Here's a pic of the willys the way it was in the early 60s and I wrote a little story of how it all started. I'm working on another story about the restored version. Thank's to all on the hamb for the support. [​IMG]

12. AHotRod

AHotRod

Thanks Gene!
    Do you remember yours MPH and E.T.'s from that day?

Glenn

13. OldColt

OldColt

Here's wishing the Cromer family and all the fine folks who helped rebuild the Moonlighter A Merry Christmas & Happy New Year.:)

--- Steve ---

14. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Hope you're getting well, Gene. Merry Christmas to you and all your family.

15. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Hmmm, if Santa was delivering presents in the Moonlighter instead of his sleigh no doubt he'd have time for a few hot toddy's with the elves at the end of the run. :D Merry Christmas to Gene, Ruth and everyone who helped bring the Moonlighter back to life!

16. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Gene.To you and yours,Merry Christmas and a safe,happy,healthy and prosperous New Year.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

17. Gene Cromer

Gene Cromer
    Member Emeritus

Here it is over 40 years later and the story of how it happened [​IMG]

18. Gene Cromer

Gene Cromer
    Member Emeritus

A special thanks from the Cromer family[​IMG][​IMG]

19. Right back at you Gene,,you and your family have been a inspiration to many of us.:) HRP

20. Merry Christmas to you and your family as well, Gene!

You are a class act, and it has been an honor to follow along with you on your dream!!

21. AHotRod

AHotRod

Merry Christmas and may God Bless EVERYONE!
    Let's bow our heads and pray.

22. 37willysgasser

37willysgasser

Amen brothers, Merry Christmas to you and yours!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

23. Inland empire hot rods

Inland empire hot rods
    from so cal

Thanks for the inspiration! Merry Christmas!

24. Merry Christmas Gene and Ruth. Best Wish's to the rest of your family. I'm a strong believer Good things happen to Good People. And your a testament to that.Thanks for time shared and time to come. Looking forward to seeing you run in the spring... Ed & Sue

25. elgringo71

elgringo71

Thanks Gene and Merry Christmas to you too, and thanks to everyone who helped bring the Moonlighter back to life. It was great to see the look on Gene and Ruth's face after Gene ran the car at Greer.

26. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Another video from the Greer race by Classic and Customs should be out next week, it has the in car video of Gene on his 2nd pass. It should be good they have spent a lot of time on it. I'll post it as soon as I get it in my hands.

27. Quain,have you found a sponsorship for your car pro mod car next year? HRP

28. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

No hot rod I'm afraid my pro mod career is over as a driver, the economy for the last 5 years has put my sponsor (Lee Boy)in a bad way. I'm looking for something small to help keep the Gasser deal going but big money is gone for a while. We should all be grateful to Lee Boy that they stayed long enough for Gene's car to be finished or I would never been able to take that much time off to do it.

29. I hope something opens up for you in 2014,there just has to be some good karma coming your way. HRP

30. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

This X2 Quain