Register now to get rid of these ads!

battery under seat???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bryceaugustine, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

I also have an Odyssey battery located under the rear seat in my 32 Tudor. It's GREAT.
    Jump-start, you say? Just hook up to the starter solenoid. Easy-Peasy.
    Only weighs 11 lbs

2. Jamoke

Jamoke

I did and it blew up But that was 35 years ago

3. Jokester

Jokester

I had one under the seat in my 32 Chev sedan for years. I hinged the seat for easy access. Unhook the hasp and tip it over. I suppose you could hinge the seat sideways since it's a truck.

As far as jumping/charging goes, I built in one of those remote charger plugs like they use on forklifts. Build some jumper cables to plug into it and you're ready to go.

.bjb

4. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Got a stock Harley battery that spins my V8-60 over just peachy. I'd like to mount it on it's side but I'm not sure if that's good for it. Anyone know? It has no vent and I can't hear any fluid sloshing around when I shake it. Is it a gel cell or AGM?

[​IMG]

5. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

I too had a vw with the battery under the seat. Add a fat chick and a rainy night and a walk home. I would find another place too.

6. I have the battery under my seat over 35 years, battery disconnect and SB175 battery connector mounted on the seat riser, never had an issue

7. I may be biased based upon my experience. The owner I purchased my 36 pickup from put the battery under the seat and DID NOT secure it. Before I got the chance to properly secure the battery after buying the truck, it shorted out on the seat springs and the cab went up in flames. Even with proper isolation and securing it, I will never put a battery under the seat again but that is my experience.

8. Can and has been done.... If it's worked for the masses=great.
    A lil info from work- I have to deal with a couple of olds auroras that have the battery under the back seat that have a vent tube.Also,I believe the prius ( i know-way off topic) use a "vented battery" with a tube.
    We also use odyssey bats in all PD applications. Unless your useing a small one,don't just jerk it up=you'll drop your nuts! A full size bat like a group 65/75 /78 goes like 70lbs. Expensive=yes., like in the $2hun range.
    I prefer a vented battery while inside the cab of anything.
    Results may vary.....
    If anything- MAKE SURE that the POSSITIVE post/terminal is securelly covered!

9. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have seen it in a few cars around here. My preference is to keep it out of the pass compartment if possible-on fat fenders I put it behind the splash shield under the pass fender a little hard to change but easy to chg. Have put a few in the trunk but they were in vented cases.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
  10. sunbeam

sunbeam

Boat battery boxes work for under the seat or trunk

11. shop teacher

shop teacher

I have a 51 Willys wagon . I mounted the battery under the body , after the kick up for the seats. It is not real handy, but out of the engine bay. I also ran the positive cable to a battery cut-off switch mounted between the drivers legs on the seat riser. good Luck, Bill

12. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Under the front seat of the 35 with relays etc etc. All I run is a radio, nothing flash

Attached Files:

13. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

I would think an Optima or other gel sell would be fine. I think the outgassing from a conventional battery would rot the material under the seat and rust the springs.