Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Flathead v8 8ba engine no oil circulation

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ford1948f1, Dec 8, 2013.

1. Ford1948f1

Ford1948f1
    from Corona

Hi, I had just rebuild my Flathead and it has no circulation of oil. I put an oil pressure gauge and it stays at 0 when cranking the engine. It has a new oil pump. and all new bearings. what could cause this. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.

2. Capitan Insano

Capitan Insano

make sure the plug behind the cam is in also the galley plugs in the crank. That is it.

3. Did you prime the oil pump? If not, pour a small amount of oil directly in where the oil pressure sending unit installs.
    Mechanical gauge or electric? If electrical, use mechanical.

wandi harry likes this.
  4. aonemarine

aonemarine
    from Delaware

Make sure the fuel pump push rod is installed..

5. Ford1948f1

Ford1948f1
    from Corona

the Galley plugs are on because the machine shop cleaned out my crank and i remember torquing the plug behind the cam. i did use the stock pickup for a new pump.

6. Ford1948f1

Ford1948f1
    from Corona

The pressure gauge is a mechanical gauge. i just bought it and it has a clear tube and no oil runs threw it.

7. Ford1948f1

Ford1948f1
    from Corona

Push rod is installed, its pumping fuel.

8. prpmmp

prpmmp

Mine would not show oil pressure after rebuild by just cranking with starter!! As soon as it started it showed 50 psi! Pete

9. Ford1948f1

Ford1948f1
    from Corona

I don,t want to start the engine up if i don't have any oil ruining, is there another way to make sure oil is pumping.

10. prpmmp

prpmmp

With assembly lube on the bearings you have protection for a short time to see if oil pressure comes up. Pete

11. George Miller

George Miller
    from NC usa

Yes take the gauge line off and see if oil comes out.

Chappy444 likes this.
  12. Ford1948f1

Ford1948f1
    from Corona

Thanks for all your help. I put oil down where the gauge goes and it started to pump. it reads about 30. thanks to all

kadillackid and harpo1313 like this.
  13. prpmmp

prpmmp

It's great when things work out!! Pete

14. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

What are you using for an oil filter ? The original "cannister" has an orfice, (.040) at the inlet port. To use "spin on" type filter, you need to have that size orfice in the line going TO the oil filter.

I almost had to learn about that the hard , (aka$$) way.

4TTRUK

15. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

OOps....I missed the "priming" post....

4TTRUK

16. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

EZ priming: get 2 1/4" pipe hose fittings, figure out a good connection into a can at one end and into either oil pressure sender hole at other end, and dump in the last 2 quarts of oil here immediately before startup. It may take a while for all of it to trickle down. Do remember to remove the rig and screw plug or sender into that hole before startup!
    When this is done I see the gauge flicker immediately on first touch of the starter and full pressure is instant when engine fires, so I confident that this does a good job of priming the pump and filling the passages on this very simple and direct system.

David Gersic likes this.
  17. Materguru

Materguru

WELL, I had same problem on a first time ever rebuild. i couldn't get pressure to get above 0. i was so worried i would have to tear in to this beautiful jewel. i read where someone put oil in the sending unit side and "primed" it sorta kinda I guess and viola... i had almost 50lbs. of good ole American oil pressure.. i get teared up just thinking about the event. I mean i was really worried i would have to tear into my baby i just birthed. so try that before you start tearing into it.

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  18. andersbodtker

andersbodtker
    from Denmark

If you have an external filter disconnect the return line at the filter and oil will hopefully flow

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

19. rusty valley

rusty valley

i do like bruce lancaster except i have an old horn trumpet with a 1/4" nipple brazed on the end so it screws into the oil boss and is a funnel too. last thing before start up, dump the last quart of oil in the horn and when its drained you will have pressure immediately.

20. 33Doll

33Doll

My Pops built a pressure pot out of an old external oil filter to prime the Cam bearings, on my motor, he says there is no way to get oil to the bearings with out forcing it in there at about 30 psi air pressure
    He says plug the original bottom hole, and tap a new one off center, so it will work. He says the important thing is to get oil to the discharge side of the oil pump, and then it’s good to go to crank without any spark to prime it. That’s the shortest time to get oil to the system, so it’s not cranking Dry.

Heres some pics:
    IMG_7979.JPG IMG_7978.JPG IMG_7976.JPG

kadillackid likes this.
  21. 33Doll

33Doll

I just realized, that I keep answering questions to old posts!
    Oh well hopefully it’ll help the next guy!

Its just that these forums are so confusing! I’m so used to Facebook where everything is on a timeline as you scroll, where as these forums are all over the place, so please forgive me for my ignorance! I’m just trying to help people answer questions when I recognize something I know an answer to. Everything is so cool on here! Its like Social media for Hot Rodders! I do miss the old days with my dad and all his friends and brothers would get together and work on stuff, now everything is online which is cool in an a way, but not as fun.
    Thanks Rick

Budget36 likes this.
  22. rusty valley

rusty valley

mr 33 doll, thats a good photo of an original unmolested model 40 roof in your avatar, could we see the whole pic for educational purpose please?

23. 33Doll

33Doll

I just started a build thread on the 33, started taking the top apart
    I don’t know how to share the threads are topics or whatever on here but it’s under projects

24. 33Doll

33Doll

Hey There. I started a build thread under Traditional-projects started on the top but heres a few pictures

Adjustments.JPG IMG_7938.JPG Adjustments.JPG IMG_7930.JPG

25. 33Doll

33Doll

My Pops Redid the top once, in the 70’s-80’s so its not 100% original
    But 98% or so

rusty valley likes this.
  26. rusty valley

rusty valley

33Doll likes this.
  27. 33Doll

33Doll