Register now to get rid of these ads!

ZF 5 speed to replace NP435?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1950kale, Dec 8, 2013.

1. 1950kale

1950kale

hi everyone, i have a 65 ford f250 with a 352 FE np435 4 speed granny low, & i am looking for a 5 speed for it, does anybody know if it is easy/affordably do-able to put a Ford ZF 5 speed close ratio behind this engine? thanks, any help is appreciated

2. SBCWelder

SBCWelder

A ZF 5 was never made with an FE style bell. You would need an adapter plate if one exists, or a different transmission. Consider the NV4500 if you want to keep a heavy duty truck trans in it.

3. 1950kale

1950kale

i was considering that transmission because I'm looking to put a cummins 12 valve or 7.3IDI swap when the 352 starts to wear out, is there an adapter plat i can use that dosen't require me to have to get a longer input shaft? or would it bolt right up? and then how much would i have to shorten the driveshaft? & would it be hard to find a crossmember? haha lots of questions, but thanks for the response.

4. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

The only 5 speed that will bolt behind an FE is a Tremec TKO with a Quicktime or Lakewood bellhousing. No matter what you do, plan on having to fab a new transmission crossmember, shorten the driveshaft, and possibly install a longer speedo cable.

You could get an adaptor from Bendstens that will let you put any Windsor style transmission behind an FE, and I think some ZF's came with the Windsor bellhousing pattern. Bendstens may also make a FE to Lima (429/460) adaptor, in which case you can definitely use a ZF 5 Speed. If my memory is correct, ZF's came with 3 bellhousing patterns, Windsor, Lima, and 7.3 PowerStroke.

Good Luck

5. 73RR

73RR

If you intend to install a Cummins then you will have to have an SAE-3 bolt pattern somewhere in the mix. Bendstens has adapters but it will up to you to sort out the mess of parts so that you can have the FE now and the Cummins later. You might find an adapter for the SAE-3 to get to the Ford trans...start looking, and also, check with truck type wrecking yards.

6. SBCWelder

SBCWelder

If you're going Cummins down the road, use the NV4500, or just leave the NP435 alone until you're ready to swap. Advance Adapters makes everything you need to make an NV4500 work behind your Ford engine, and when you're all done, use Dodge truck parts and put the trans right behind the new Cummins with all factory parts. No SAE housings are needed, although they are available.
    I had one behind a 7.3 IDI for a while, but that's a bit OT for these parts.

7. trbomax

trbomax

A NP540,or 542 will bolt in. There are several different ratio sets includeing an OD.

8. 1950kale

1950kale

ok so would a NP540/542 literally bolt right in? or would i need to move or modify the crossmember? and i think i am going to go with the 7.3IDI route and probably a zf5 speed, did the zf come with the 7.3 idi engine? or was it just the power stroke? thanks guys i really appreciate it

9. trbomax

trbomax

If you are going with a 7.3 you want the zf.

10. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

What ever way you go you may have to consider swapping a gear box to suit the 352 Engine or the Cummins as both are very different engines and will require different gearing to work.

These may help you >

http://www.destroked.com/

http://www.fordcummins.com/

Really you are on the wrong forum for a traditional build using a Cummins.

Having said that I have a 6BT in my 48. I went down the path of a C6 with a full manual shift kit and overdrive as I looked at a Tremec but the torque of the Cummins 6BT would kill a Tremec gearbox.

11. Starting in 1988 Ford used the ZF-5 with the 7.3 IDI diesel engines, but would also fit the 6.9 IDI engines. The ZF-5 has bellhousing cast in with the IDI bolt pattern. The IDI pattern is close, but not the same as the 460 gas engine pattern.

You also will need a 2wd trans, as the 4x4 version does not have the same output shaft or tailhousing. I have an 88 Ford F-250 4x4 with the 7.3 and ZF-5 trans. Works good and you definitely need a turbo for the IDI. ZF-5 uses ATF as lube, not gear oil like your NP435.

12. 1950kale

1950kale

ok thanks guys, & i kinda know I'm on the wrong forum for this build but i couldn't get on to the ford truck enthusiast forum for some reason so i just went here for a try, both thanks ill defiantly consider everything. but i think ill go with the ZF 5 speed & a 7.3idi w/ a turbo

13. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

With a 7.3 idi w/turbo make sure it has the regular flywheel instead of the piece of crap dual mass flywheel (if it has a dual mass replace it with a regular flywheel).

14. aaggie

aaggie

Maybe it's just me but why would you want a close ratio trans behind a Ford FE? You need an engine that revs to take advantage of close gear sets and the FEs are all about torque.

15. 1950kale

1950kale

i was under the impression that a low reving torquie engine would be best with close ratios, because you wouldn't have to wind it way up before the shift, and a wide ratio is better for a high revving engine, i thought that that was why they put the close ratios behind the diesels so each shift isn't too dramatic an RPM change, when I'm go all out with my 352FE i'll wind it up to about 5500RPM and after the shift i still feel like I'm loosing a lot of power cause it drops it too low, but i guess my ideal tranny would be a 8 speed with close ratios cause i hate to see it go past 3000rpm it seems like i can actually feel my wallet getting lighter haha