Register now to get rid of these ads!

some of the work from my shop

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cornfieldcustoms, Nov 15, 2011.

1. You give welding lessons? :D

2. oldcarguygazok

oldcarguygazok
    from AUSTRALIA.

Nice work mate,good to see someone who knows what he's doin!

3. cornfieldcustoms

cornfieldcustoms

i forgot to post a pic, but here is a chassis research te440 i built last week for a customer in MO. Tig welded chassis to original dimensions

[​IMG]

4. cornfieldcustoms

cornfieldcustoms

rails fixed back up, and body mount blocks drilled, tapped, and welded in

[​IMG]

got all the rust damage repaired, inside of the rails cleaned up, but back in the jig, front and rear cross members bolted in temporarily and boxing plates going in. hope to have this finished up in the next couple days

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. nhmikel

nhmikel
    from NH

Is that just regular primer or weld thru your using?

6. cornfieldcustoms

cornfieldcustoms

7. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Definitely!

8. cornfieldcustoms

cornfieldcustoms

the 34 frame getting closer to being finished. got everything all boxed up

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the brackets and sleeves installed for the front 4 link per customers request

[​IMG]

and the front cross member repaired with new 1/4 in plate

[​IMG]

9. AHotRod

AHotRod

I've really enjoyed following along with you on this thread for a long time.

Is the yellow-cabbed-truck going to be a Drag truck?

10. cornfieldcustoms

cornfieldcustoms

thanks man, the yellow truck is going to be a "street" truck says the owner. i dont think it will do well on the street with those tires a spool and the long wheel base. i wish i had creative control on it, but he is stuck in what he wants and it will turn out to be a R** rod after all the major fab work is done and it leaves my shop

11. AHotRod

AHotRod

Understood,... Give the customer what they want (with-in safety reasoning) and collect the cash.
    Well done!

12. cornfieldcustoms

cornfieldcustoms

the 34 frame all finished up, the owner is going to put the k member in himself. so i tacked some angle iron to the bottom of the chassis to hold its shape. until he can get it out in

[​IMG]

13. Looks great, love that pic.

14. napalmv8

napalmv8

15. cornfieldcustoms

cornfieldcustoms

got a couple new things at the shop last week. been busy getting them all set up and now time to show some pics

new Baileigh high throat bead roller

[​IMG]

and a new Baileigh 4 x 4 cnc plasma table

[​IMG]

lots of cool new things going to be coming out of the shop in the future

16. I wanna say I hate you!!! can't though, congrats on the tools. I have some stuff I'm gonna need cut out. Found a local place with a cnc I was gonna hit up, but if you'd be down to cut some stuff, perhaps I could give you the biz. I'm very fluent in vector art, which I'm sure you'd have to bring into cad. let me know.

17. Great work on the '34 frame. Just been through the same thing with my own.

18. cornfieldcustoms

cornfieldcustoms

cool man just let me know, i can work from sketches or paper templates and put it in autocad then into g code

19. Mike, I was at your shop this week, but you were gone (again), but I'm just about ready to have you do some louvers. Just wanted to say Merry Christmas and all the best for the holidays. The new equiptment is awesome. Bob.

20. cornfieldcustoms

cornfieldcustoms

you must have just missed me, i was there all week, but had a bunch of ruuning to do through out the week as well. i was just thinking that i had not seen you in a while.

21. cornfieldcustoms

cornfieldcustoms

ok been plugging away on the chassis for a customer on another forumn. he provided me with prints of all the dimensions he needed and an idea of what he was after. after a little tweaking and some hard work this is where i am at since starting on it sunday.

chassis table all cleaned off and ready to get building

[​IMG]

skip ahead a little got the front rails tapered from 4 inch in the rear to 2 inches in the front. front x member tacked in, rails under the cab cut and tacked in place and front suspension half hung.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

then put in piece of tube i bent up to go under the engine, per request. and the piece of 2 x 4 tube to support the radiator in the front also per request

[​IMG]

in the rear for the kick up i like to use flat plate for the bottom to make it look like a bent rail. i also like to plate the splice on the inside ( internal shear load gusset). so i cut and bent these pieces of 3/16 plate to put on the inside.

[​IMG]

here is how i bent them, in my home made press brake tool for my 50 ton press

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

here are the holes to plug weld the internal plates in the kick up

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

after getting the rear kick up tacked up, and the vertical sections cut, i then notched the rails on the vertical mill to accept the rear section of the frame. i like to do it this way so it gives me more welding area for a stronger area

[​IMG]

the front mount brackets for the rear leaf springs would not work right so i designed some up in auto cad and cut them out on the plasma table . used the original bracket for a template then matched the anlge and distance need to attach to the frame correctly

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5 mins. later we had brackets ready to go in

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. cornfieldcustoms

cornfieldcustoms

and here is how it looked when i left tonight

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. nice man, must be killer to just whip out some custom cut pieces. you got time to head out to the pittsburgh autorama?

24. Newbedonnie

Newbedonnie
    from SC

The work's great...the name of your shop even greater!!!

25. cornfieldcustoms

cornfieldcustoms

thanks, yea it is nice to make the parts i need instead of ordering and waiting on them to come in the mail

no i wont have the spare time to come to pittsburgh

26. cjrolke

cjrolke

awesome work

hell you are just up the street from me
    (2 miles)

27. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Very nice and a true craftsman.

Your work is first class.

Jimbo

28. lawman

lawman

Very Very nice !!! Please keep posting.

29. cornfieldcustoms

cornfieldcustoms

got a little more done on the chassis today in between running around doing shop stuff.

welded up the back side rear frame cross tube. then designed a nice clean cap to weld on to help strengthen and clean up the back. it drives me nuts when the tubes are just left open.

[​IMG]

caps tacked on

[​IMG]

then made a shear load gusset ( fish plate) to put on the rails where i cut and bent them out

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

30. willymakeit

willymakeit

Simply Amazing. Keep posting and I will try to learn some more.