Register now to get rid of these ads!

How much lye per gallon for paint stripping?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PushnFords, Nov 30, 2013.

1. PushnFords

PushnFords

I'm setting up a plastic 55 gallon barrel to use as a dunk tank for stripping paint off of parts. I've found several threads about people doing this but no recommendation on how much lye to use. If I had a local source for lye I'd just keep adding until it worked...but looks like I'll have to order it online & I'd like to just pay shipping once. There are also several threads about mixing in corn meal to make a paste but I'd like to just have it as a liquid dunk tank instead.

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

no lie - safety first!!

3. PushnFords

PushnFords

I'll keep vinegar nearby to neutralize any spills. It will be better than my powder coat stripping chemical. That stuff is really nasty.

4. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

I suggest using spray can paint stripper instead. More efficient and far less mess. john

5. PushnFords

PushnFords

Really not seeing how paint stripper overspray is less mess than a contained liquid but anyway...do you know the mixing ratio to use with lye?

6. The37Kid

The37Kid

I think the meth labs are the reason you can't buy Lye anymore, it does work great removing grease and paint. I've always used a 5 gallon steel can, not sure if this has an effect that plastic doesn't. Wear eye protection, I had another can to soak the stuff in clean water before hosing things off. Bob

7. PushnFords

PushnFords

Yea I heard that about meth & lye. I'm not 100% sure I can't get it where I live...I called & they said no...but I suspect they didn't know what it was either. I can order it on Amazon or eBay though...used in soap making as well. How much did you use in the 5 gallon can? I was figuring on a plastic container...worried the metal might rust over time?

8. The37Kid

The37Kid

I never saw rust in the steel can, somehow the lye kept things clean. I used to buy Red Devil brand, it was sold as drain cleaner. sort of trial and error, may have started with a 1/4 can to the 5 gallons of water. It really worked great, a dirty spindle soaking for a day would come out looking like a fresh forging after you hosed it off. Bob

9. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

Buy one can of spray can paint remover and try it. There is virtually no overspray.
    Why reinvent the wheel?

10. PushnFords

PushnFords

I've used a lot of brush on stripper & some spray can stripper before...quit using it over 10 years ago because I don't like dealing with the stuff and switched to blasting. I'm looking for a quicker solution to stripping paint before I refinish the parts or powder coat...less time & money I have in it the less I can charge my customers. I'm setting up three dip tanks...one with lye, one with oxalic acid for rust removal, and one with a specialized powder coating remover.

Anyway...I bought 10lbs of lye & currently have about a pound per 5 gallons mixed up. I'll throw some parts in before I leave tonight and see how they look Monday.

11. Hotrodbuilderny

Hotrodbuilderny

12. Weird A

Weird A

Most big chemical companies have sodium hydroxide and potassium hydroxide in 50# bags or 50 gallons. This is more than you might need. The price is cheaper by volume. If you have any kitchen exhaust cleaners around,they might sell you a couple pounds. USE CAUTION this is nasty stuff!!!! Always add chemical to water! If you add to much chemical, you can actually make it almost BOIL!! Very hot. Not good with aluminum and combination makes hydrogen gas mix ,very bad for breathing.

Not recommended for the average person. I've worked many years with this and have the scars for reminders!

Bill

13. PushnFords

PushnFords

I got it off Amazon...I don't think the link works since I'm logged in but the item heading is: "Food Grade Sodium Hydroxide Lye Micro Beads, 2 Lbs. (Buy 5 get 5 off)". I bought 5 at $2.94 and with $5 off it was close to $34 shipped.

Yea a friend of mine has a lye tank that he combined with electrolysis. Told me to be careful because he had one hydrogen bubble catch fire...deafened him for two days and splashed his brother's angle with lye. I told him he is nuts! lol I'll be careful with it and I have a gallon of vinegar nearby to neutralize any spills if needed.

14. I don't know much about using lye to remove paint, but it is a great way to dispose of a dead body. It'll even eat the teeth, just sayin' be very careful!

15. Weird A

Weird A

This you know how?:D:confused:

Bill

16. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks for the tip.:rolleyes:

17. Bill have you heard that a friend will help you move, but a really good friend will help you move a body? I don't have any really good friends. LOL
    Actually I learned this from a violating friend that had some deer carcasses to dispose of. He would put the bones and hide in a barrel, cover with water and dump in some lye. (unfortunately I don't remember how much lye he used) A few days later there was some disgusting stuff in the barrel, but it wasn't a deer anymore.

18. Weird A

Weird A

Ya I used technical grade. (Strongest) if you left aluminum parts in too long, Gone. On skin it just keeps eating away till nuterilized. Always had plastic bottle of Apple cider Vineger handy. Smells little better. CSI had a couple murders in barrels of lye!

Bill

19. gwarren007

gwarren007