Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need some advise on engine paint Thanks everyone!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wldtrout, Dec 6, 2013.

1. wldtrout

wldtrout
    from montana

I have this beautiful red flathead. the owner wants it painted green. What is the best way to repaint this engine. This is a brand new rebuild. I don't really want to take it apart. I don't want to paint over the red because if it chips it will show red through the green. any ideas will be much appreciated.
    Thanks in advance

Attached Files:

• 009.JPG
      009.JPG
      File size:
      362.2 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  2. Cerberus

Cerberus

There are mobile media blasters in my area. Maybe there is one in your neck of the woods.

3. Heavy Duty Easy Off Oven cleaner,spray on and hose off,protect the aluminum. HRP

4. wldtrout

wldtrout
    from montana

Thanks guys. I was thinking about soda blasting. Does anyone know what soda does to polished aluminum?
    thanks again

5. FOURTYDLX

FOURTYDLX

Like Hotrod Primer says, protect the aluminum.

6. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

i would take off what can be removed easily, have someone who can take there time and mask off the engine, heads etc. talk with a paint supplier to find out what would help bond the new paint to whats on there, adhesion promoter whatever, scuff it up real good and spray. you dont want to be spraying any soda or abrasives on a fresh engine that can get inside. it has to be prepped to make it adhere.

7. chubbie

chubbie

this is your answer, works great. I use the cheaper stuff, generic if you can get it. the easy off is foam and it blows away when you are outside(you want to be out side) the cheaper stuff is a "slime" stays on better

8. So what do you know about the red paint ?
    It's type, prep, primer underneath - once that's known its going to give you an idea of its durability. Once you have that knowledge you can make an intelligent decision on what will take it off, or if it even needs to come off.

9. wldtrout

wldtrout
    from montana

This is my problem. I do not know any history on the paint. that is my biggest concern. I would hate to have something so simple sounding turn out to be the nightmare it could be.

10. jkeesey

jkeesey

Use the easy off as described, scuff it, and I suggest using the Ford Green brush on paint. I have covered many other paints with it and it has never peeled or chipped off. its also easier to apply than spray, not as much masking.

11. indyjps

indyjps

Try some different solvents on the paint to see what cuts into it, then you know what will remove it. I'd go aircraft stripper, then douse it with whatever cuts it for a final scrub.
    Whatever you use, see if its going to break down gaskets.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
  12. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

Spray can paint remover. Follow directions. Works well.

13. Try a little spot with each of these and see what happens.
    Carb cleaner
    Gasoline
    Lacquer thinner
    Oven cleaner.
    If these break the paint down and wrinkles it off - probably should all come off and it will be easy.

Try some dot 3 brake fluid
    If it stays with that its damn tuff stuff and you can just scuff it and paint it or use a liquid de-glosser and paint it the green you want.

Stripping an assembled engine isn't going to be fun, easy, or safe for some of the gaskets. Any blasting is going to cause you trouble on an assembled engine.
    Repainting it will require a lot of cleaning to remove the stripper from all the millions of divots, nooks and crannies.

14. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

The big thing you have to watch out for with strippers, is that they can creep into your cracks and crevices, only to reappear and ruin your life when you least expect it.
    Oh...and this applies to paint jobs, as well!

15. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

True. But you have that concern no matter what material you strip with.
    THOROUGH cleaning after stripping is the key.
    john

16. That's some funny stuff right there !!!!

17. SmoKerch

SmoKerch

Build another engine exactly like that one, but painted green.

Keep the red one.

18. wldtrout

wldtrout
    from montana

I was thinking the same thing! You guys are great!

19. wldtrout

wldtrout
    from montana

I just wanted to update everyone that helped out. Oven cleaner and scotch brite. Engine is officially green and looks great. Thanks again for all the advise.

Attached Files:

• 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      221 KB
      Views: