Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Fuller Brizio Volks T topic continued

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bugnbox, Dec 4, 2013.

1. bugnbox

bugnbox
    from So Cal

There is a great thread on the Fuller Brizio Volks T from a bit ago that is locked, and I wanted to revive it to share some fun news.

Guess what I just found! Flatheadgary's old VolksT! Just stumbled into it and while searching for info saw these build pics on the HAMB thread...mind blower!
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1386173616.494298.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1386173653.545197.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1386173678.311934.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1386173699.778560.jpg
    I have spoken to Gary about it and he is making plans to come down and see it up close. Last time he saw it was over 32 years ago! I'm not going to post any pics until he comes, don't want to spoil the surprise. The pics above were taken when it was built in the late 70's.

I can't wait to see the look on his face...how about you?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

AHotRod likes this.
  2. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

I know it might be OT, but I really like Volks Buckets,, had the fun of watching and paceing Fullers Bucket at Speed Week a couple of years ago while heading out to the start line.

3. A Boner

A Boner

Right.....Kent Fuller.....off topic?????

4. bugnbox

bugnbox
    from So Cal

Off topic? Should I have posted this in a different forum? Phone app is a bit confusing for mr fat thumbs here... Sorry

5. I love these too - would really like to see someone start making these again!

Steve

6. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I'll allow the sidebar so long as it doesn't go into contemporary VW builds...

7. bugnbox

bugnbox
    from So Cal

Thanks Ryan...I just want to share the discovery and hopefully the reunion with everybody

8. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Looks good without the top and windshield.

9. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Dragmaster built a Volksrod frame with the double tube frame design. Tom Medley built a V-Rod that I think was based on Kent Fuller's frame. I had a prototype of a Tom Daniels design that appeared in R&C back in the early sixties that was based on the "what would you have if you combined a T roadster and a Meyer's Manx" design theme. Jim Kellison actually made a one off for me.

10. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

I'm guessing the exhaust is re-directed up to those side pipes?

Too cool.

11. akbo47

akbo47
    from norcal

Speedway Motors used to sell kits. volksrod are cool. Wow man some dude stole your engine, oh far out its in the rear :-D. I wonder how many are out there gathering dust in garages.

12. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

I have the plans for these on my other computer if they can recover whats on it . I have a couple spare glass T bodies and a few Corvair drive lines I have been kicking around the idea of one of these using the left over Corvair parts I have. A Corvair powered T would let me combine both of my car hobbies I belong to Baystate Corvair club. I've liked the look of these since they were first put out. First I have to finish up my 23 t with Mercruiser/Chevy 153 4 cylinder.

13. looking forward to seeing more about this , kinda liked them since Tom Medley built his

this one i liked too

[​IMG]

14. bugnbox

bugnbox
    from So Cal

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=124343

This is a link to the original thread that I found the old photos on. It was a shocker to stumble on to the original pics of the car I had just hauled home. The original builder posted them and we have had some great conversations back and forth .

When I told him that I had the car here in my garage you should have heard his reaction... It was priceless!

I think if all the cars I have built over the years and they just go on to new homes and I so rarely hear anything about them...just gone. You put a lot of time and effort into something like a car, especially one built from scratch...I think about the possibility of seeing one of my past "metal mistresses" again all the time. It would be like going back in time !

I hope he enjoys the time warp as much as I imagine I will enjoy watching him with it!

15. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

The sound. I would LOVE them, if it wasn't for that VW sound.

16. bugnbox

bugnbox
    from So Cal

A proper set of pipes give it a decent exhaust note

17. I remember following the build in R and C. Still have most of the articles. Would be killer with Suburu flat 4.

18. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I love these things, too! I never have built one though, which is sort of odd as deep into VWs as I was at one time, and having the background of a hot rodder to start with. As far as the sound? I still in the darkest corners of my mind can hear the typical night here at the house about twenty years ago when every body would fire up and we'd roll out. We are talking 10-20 high compression, cammed up, dual carb street bugs with open stingers.... Loud - and evil!

I ran across a scan of the original Rod and Custom chassis drawings that I grabbed from somewhere.

Attached Files:

A Boner likes this.
  19. Yes one could use a Subaru flat 4 with a extractor exhaust system and the right muffler they can sound like a V8 in full noise when angry. Here in Pukekohe NZ we have a business that builds group A Rally cars and ,man, when you hear one of those screaming up the street one thinks it is a V8. I do like the idea for a young son or daughter to drive as a first car to have a hot rod but with good fuel economy.

20. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:eek:Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Myyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

21. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

AllllllllllllllRiiiiiight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D .

Perfect timing. More VolksRods info/discussion. I'm *in* .

Hey Ryan; thanks for allowing this thread. I'm going to ask iffen you'd be so kind to watch over it, & hack out any vwhackjobs that will get in, since we can't police/fix it ourselves. Seems their owners just won't accept what a *real* VolksRod is. The last couple of threads got clipped, thru no fault of the V-Rod-lovers. Would appreciate the extra help in keeping this thread alive. TIA.

Marcus...

22. bugnbox

bugnbox
    from So Cal

So... Tomorrow is the big day and HAMB member Flatheadgary gets to see his machine for the first time in 35 years ! I am going to take some pix and video to share... Should be fun!

23. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Built this for a customer back in 85
    [​IMG]

24. ^^^^^Is that a turtle deck!?! Will a turtledeck fit over the cooling shroud!?!
    Ohhh-Nooooo! I may be in trouble!!!!

25. DrJ

DrJ

Isn't that one mid-engine, like a 914?

26. Hey! I got an idea! I owned a 71 type III once that had all flat shrouding so the back seat of the station wagon would fold flat.
    Wouldn't that fit under a turtledeck?

OK, I'll step back out of the circle and be quiet now.

27. rick finch

rick finch

28. rick finch

rick finch

Kent & family...

[​IMG]

29. C.R.Glow Neon

C.R.Glow Neon
    from stockton

^^^ Porsche powered^^^ and you can run a air-cooled VW with out the tin, just run a bigger oil cooler

30. hemi

hemi

Brizio's first cross-country trip was in his Volksrod to Gatlinburg in 1969... I've always thought they were neat.

Cool find, and awesome to reconnect it with Gary.