Register now to get rid of these ads!

Source for 1940 Mercury Dash Plastic????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jonnycola, Oct 6, 2009.

1. jonnycola

jonnycola

I cant find the dash plastic for my 40 mercury anywhere. I've seen restored cars with it... it's got to be somewhere.

2. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

3. jonnycola

jonnycola

Yeah, tried there... nothing for 40 mercurys

4. studematt

studematt

I seen a guy remake his out of wood on a lathe. Turned out pretty good.

5. CaseyK

CaseyK

I'd be willing to make some silicon molds of mine this winter, and then cast them out of casting resin. All you'd have to do is paint them. Or if you wanted to get really tricky we could cast them in clear resin and tint the clear any color we wanted - so they look like those big ring pops! Let me know.

6. jonnycola

jonnycola

Damn... It might come to that.

Bttt

7. Any chance that steel, chrome plated replacements were made for Mercs back in the day?

I remember my dad getting some of these for his 47 Ford.

8. vert1940

vert1940

i realize its not what you want,but i made mine out of aluminum.i have seen them new,on that selling site that will not be mentioned

9. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

You might look to cast them in "white metal", which won't warp and eventually crack like plastic resin. Early 40's Packard guys have the same problems with missing/broken plastic dash parts. Repos have been run in small lots by Packard restorers.

10. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Dennis Carpenter made a run of the Mercury plastics some years ago. Probably that will be the last time it happens. Before that it was common for Merc owners to have the plastic duplicated in wood or steel or aluminum and painted.

11. CaseyK

CaseyK

You could cast them, you're right. Just cast your parts in wax and have them dipped in ceramic like lost wax and then melt the wax out and cast in white metal - then you could polish them maybe? The problem is you get 1 part per wax.

I'm pretty sure you can get some pretty good acrylic casting resin that is also UV stabalized to prevent yellowing and hardening over time. The old custumizers used lucite (matranga merc) it's the same as lexan really, just you can pour it and/or buy it in sheets. I'll probably do it either way to get something different on my car - mixing chemicals is fun!

12. Plowboy

Plowboy

I thought I just saw them in the new MAC's catalog. Could be wrong though. Kind of like the 46 ford without the wings, right?

13. jonnycola

jonnycola

14. 40mercFlathead

40mercFlathead

I've got a set of dash plastic and many other parts for a 40 Merc

15. redo32

redo32

I was going to say there is a set on Ford Barn, but 40 Merc was the guy.

16. 1sic50h

1sic50h
    from San Diego

They sell it on eBay it's pricey though $500 bucks just search 1940 mercury dash

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

17. 40mercFlathead

40mercFlathead

I've got replica plastic set that looks and fits great.

18. vadstena bil

vadstena bil
    from sweden

19. TTTT8

TTTT8

20. 40mercFlathead

40mercFlathead

New dash plastic is in production.. Bought the tooling to make it. If you want a set let me know

21. robH

robH

There is a guy that was making & selling this plastic in socal RG11, Baldy View RG88, and the Model T club. He did many, many sets that I know of, but not sure if he is still doing it. Could try contacting those clubs (through EFV8 club), or maybe pm me if you are desperate. Hand made, and, expensive. As I recall, I believe there are at least two different 40 Merc dash's, but I'm pretty sure that does not make a difference in the plastic. JMO

posted with TRS-80

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
  22. 40mercFlathead

40mercFlathead

Yes there was a guy in SoCal making dash plastic for about 12 years. He did over 40 sets of dash plastic including brow piece for merc owners.

He has sold me all his tooling, patterns and materials and I'm continuing his work with some improvements to keep the parts available.

It's gonna be made to order since there aren't many cars left out there that need a set.

[email protected] Shawn ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1386461601.170908.jpg

23. robH

robH

Yes... Clarence pretty much made them to order, too. He started off making a set for his own car. Someone saw it, so he made another. And, you know the rest. He was always of the opinion that there can't be too many folks out there that would want them. I'm glad to see that you will be carrying on. Folks that need the parts should be grateful.
    JMO

posted with TRS-80

24. 40mercFlathead

40mercFlathead

Clarence Levy, that was him. We became good friends over the last few years as he retired from the same fire department I work for and we were interested in the same things.

He has moved on but I will carry on making the plastic.

25. fryguy

fryguy

What will be the price range of the plastic Shawn?

Fryguy

26. 40mercFlathead

40mercFlathead

Price lower on here, $600 per 6 piece set. Includes "brow" above guages ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1386781996.845531.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1386782009.395815.jpg