Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Mickey Thompson Cross Ram

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by vetteracer, Dec 6, 2013.

1. G'day all, Does anybody have an idea how many crossram intakes that Mickey Thompson made for both small and big block Chevy. I have heard a lot of speculation but the people on the Hamb are more informed than any other sites so figured this would be the place to check.

Thanks,
    ms

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

and this is important because?

3. Being curious about the rarity of parts....might be important if you're looking to build around them...or just curious for no reason ....i'ld come here and ask....there's so much info to be found on the Hamb..from many members who like sharing their knowledge...and starting a post with...g`day..i'ld assume the op is from down under..where parts are obscure....

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. Says he's from North Dakota lol

And it's important because he wants to know.
    I looked because I wanted to know too.

5. Wedgehead426

Wedgehead426

Sounds like a legitimate question to me. I cant imagine that they made that many of them back in the day. It was pretty much a race piece, and I don't ever remember seeing one outside of a magazine ad. There is one on ebay right now for a SBC and the asking price is $650.00. I toyed with the idea of bidding on it, just to have it, but I have other places my automotive funds need to go right now. I do know that a repo Max Wedge Cross Ram from A&A is fetching north of $1500.00 right now. And that's where my cash needs to go since I am building a Mopar. So that makes $650.00 for a original M/T piece a bargain in my book, even if it is for a SBC. If you are thinking of buying one or selling one, the Intake is only half the battle. You will still need the linkage and that stuff seems to be even harder to find. I suppose you could fab it though.
    Anyway while I have no idea how many where made, I think its safe to say, there aren't many out there. And there probably weren't that many to begin with.

6. When I used to do the swap meets and wheel and deal speed parts pretty much for a living in the late 80s through mid 90s, I would best guess I bought and sold about 25 MT crossrams. Now, compare that to well over 100 Edelbrock X c8s, that would say they are probably much rarer than the Edelbrocks, but they arent as rare as hens teeth.

7. Lytles Garage

Lytles Garage

I got 1, start counting. Chris

8. aaggie

aaggie

Even the Engineers at GM couldn't get the cross ram configuration to work so unless you just want the WOW factor on a show car I would pass. A good high rise dual plane with four barrel will generate better power and driveability.

9. G'day which I guess is misleading to some, I grew up within view of the Canadian border and picked it up there.

I have a 1959 Corvette that has been a drag car all its life. The car is titled but has never been licensed. I also have Mickey Thompson cross rams for small block as well as big block. I was wondering about the scarcity and if they may have used them on such a car?

I am not putting the car back on the track full time but am planning on hanging the first license plates on the car. I am assuming to get by I will have to add the things it never had like front turn signals, wipers and system. I think I will keep the heater and radio delete though.

Anyway, before I committed to an engine and intake system I was just wondering how rare the two intakes were.

ms

10. I find any history on Mickey Thompson very interesting,oh and im from down under. JW

11. fordsbyjay

fordsbyjay
    from Lafayette

In high school (mid 80's) my bf had a 68 c10, 454, 13:1 with a cross ram on propane. It ran very well because of the propane and we drove that truck everywhere.

12. GregCon

GregCon
    from Houston

Jay, just to clarify, the abbreviation 'bf' is internet talk for 'boyfriend'......

13. See this is what happens ....

Attached Files:

14. Lytles Garage

Lytles Garage

The M/T cross ram is the only one that has a balance tube between the two sides, which makes it streetable, with 650 CFM double pumpers it will run very well and look WAY cooler than a single four. check out Larry Fators 46 sedan delivery's setup!! Chris

15. GOSFAST

GOSFAST

Not certain how many were produced but they are sort of rare today.

I still have a "mint" BB setup (not being used anymore) that was on a 454" in a '66 Chevelle.

Was totally streetable while I used it with no regrets. Used a pair of 650 Holley double-pumpers. Throttle response was really amazing.

The ride had gotten many trophies mainly due to the induction setup.

The only single drawback is the fact it will not accept any "tall" valve covers due to the top rails.

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. Here's a couple shots as it was mounted. We modified the linkage slightly to avoid any "slipping" condition guaranteeing both carbs opened simultaneously. It's visible in the linkage.

Attached Files:

16. Hotrodbuilderny

Hotrodbuilderny

I ran one on me Chevy 2 back in the early 70's it was a 350 with a Lunati cam and not muh more,I was around 18 and it ran like all hell.Now would I hold the same opinion today? I doubt it, but it sure felt like it to an 18 year old.

17. Mickey Thompson crossram:

<TABLE class="li rsittlref shic" sizset="68" sizcache="1" listingId="230882167458" r="1" itemprop="offers" itemscope itemtype="http://schema.org/Offer"><TBODY class=lyr sizset="68" sizcache="1" itemprop="itemOffered" itemscope itemtype="http://schema.org/Product"><TR sizset="68" sizcache="1" _sp="p2045573.m1686.l5" itemprop="offers" itemscope itemtype="http://schema.org/Offer"><TD class="pic p140 lt img" rowSpan=2 sizset="68" sizcache="1" iid="230882167458">[​IMG]

</TD><TD class="dtl dtlsp" sizset="69" sizcache="1">M/T Mickey Thompson Power Ram Edelbrock XC8 Cross Ram dual carburetor linkage

Item: 230882167458
    Store: Dale Wilch
    Seller User Id: dale_wilch

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] FAST 'N FREE - Get it on or before Sat, Dec. 14

</TD><TD class=col3></TD><TD class=prc sizset="71" sizcache="1">$119.95
    Buy It Now

Free shipping
    [​IMG] 45 Watchers
    [​IMG]Watch
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class="li rsittlref " sizset="73" sizcache="1" listingId="170698073515" r="2" itemprop="offers" itemscope itemtype="http://schema.org/Offer"><TBODY class=lyr sizset="73" sizcache="1" itemprop="itemOffered" itemscope itemtype="http://schema.org/Product"><TR sizset="73" sizcache="1" _sp="p2045573.m1686.l1" itemprop="offers" itemscope itemtype="http://schema.org/Offer"><TD class="pic p140 lt img" rowSpan=2 sizset="73" sizcache="1" iid="170698073515">[​IMG]

</TD><TD class="dtl dtlsp" sizset="74" sizcache="1">60s CHEVY SBC MICKEY THOMPSON CROSS RAM INTAKE MANIFOLD NOS M/T 2X4 302 327 350

Item: 170698073515
    Store: Achilles-10
    Seller User Id: achilles-10

[​IMG]

</TD><TD class=col3></TD><TD class=prc sizset="76" sizcache="1">$1,499.00
    Buy It Now

+$59.99 shipping
    [​IMG] 71 Watchers
    [​IMG]Watch
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class="li rsittlref " sizset="78" sizcache="1" listingId="400230761993" r="3" itemprop="offers" itemscope itemtype="http://schema.org/Offer"><TBODY class=lyr sizset="78" sizcache="1" itemprop="itemOffered" itemscope itemtype="http://schema.org/Product"><TR sizset="78" sizcache="1" _sp="p2045573.m1686.l1" itemprop="offers" itemscope itemtype="http://schema.org/Offer"><TD class="pic p140 lt img" rowSpan=2 sizset="78" sizcache="1" iid="400230761993">[​IMG]

</TD><TD class="dtl dtlsp" sizset="79" sizcache="1">FORD NOS MICKEY THOMPSON CROSS RAM INTAKE 390 427 428

Item: 400230761993

[​IMG]

</TD><TD class=col3></TD><TD class=prc sizset="81" sizcache="1">$2,500.00
    Buy It Now

+$79.00 shipping
    [​IMG] 75 Watchers
    [​IMG]Watch
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class="li rsittlref " sizset="83" sizcache="1" listingId="400235672440" r="4" itemprop="offers" itemscope itemtype="http://schema.org/Offer"><TBODY class=lyr sizset="83" sizcache="1" itemprop="itemOffered" itemscope itemtype="http://schema.org/Product"><TR sizset="83" sizcache="1" _sp="p2045573.m1686.l1" itemprop="offers" itemscope itemtype="http://schema.org/Offer"><TD class="pic p140 lt img" rowSpan=2 sizset="83" sizcache="1" iid="400235672440">[​IMG]

</TD><TD class="dtl dtlsp" sizset="84" sizcache="1">1955 - 1964 PONTIAC NOS MICKEY THOMPSON CROSS RAM INTAKE NEW 389 421 SUPER DUTY

Item: 400235672440

[​IMG]

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

18. King Karl

King Karl
    from N.C.

Gary, your Mickey Thompson cross ram has Edelbrock inscribed on it.
    Damn that Vic!

19. I had a big block one last year, quite rare, we sold it off as it wasn't something we needed, we buy and sell some stuff here and there and think we have a good handle on what stuff is worth, we didn't get near as much as we originally thought, slow economy, etc. It went to a good home, guy was building a Gasser-esque looking car

20. The M/T crossrams cast by Edelbrock were SUPER rare :D

21. GOSFAST

GOSFAST

Hi Karl, absolutely right. Wrong pictures.

The M/T I had was a SB, the BB is the Edelbrock!

(Add) I have an Offenhauser SB (302") here now for some dyno work!

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. Good catch!

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  22. gtowagon

gtowagon

I have owned 5 pontiac M/T cross rams over the years and all of them were unused I know right now of 3 for sale that nobody wants the problem with them is that they don't fit 65 up engines I have a friend that converted one to the late model setup for his 455 and while it looked awesome it didn't make anywhere near the power as a large single Holley

23. wheelguy

wheelguy

I've had 4 M/T cross rams over the years (last one I sold was fully polished SBC that I let go for $350 about 6 years ago,shoulda kept it)
    I've still got a RIDGE RUNNER TUNNEL RAM I've had 25 years but thats another story for another time.
    Most Thompson crossrams had the open plenum under the carbs but one of mine had the 4-HOLE cast under the carbs.
    Mickey had a lot of great ideas & designs in his equipment. I allways liked the CURVED runners instead of SQUARED off corners, better flow.>I think.?
    He had quite a bit of MAGNESIUM parts also>Intakes, 3rd members, ETC.
    RIP MICKEY !!!!!!!

24. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I wonder how much testing he [MT] did with each make of engine? As far as I know [not much] what looks good doesn't mean its going to work good...I had a Shelby Ram Box with dual 4v top, I thought it would be a real problem child and never used it...

Attached Files:

25. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I don't know how rare they are, but I know they look bad ass. Isn't that what counts?

26. hotstuff1

hotstuff1

Had M/t staggered high rise cross ram on a 355 sbc , one carb was turned backward the throttle linkage was in the center and pulled inward . Ran like a raped ape .

27. carbking

carbking

M/T did a wee bit of testing with the Pontiac engines ;)

[​IMG]

Jon.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  28. I had years ago, 77??, a cross ram on a 427 aluminum bbc...if I remember right it was cast ...CX-96 EXPERIMENTAL.....it was a full blown drag 62 chevy II....had a set of custom for it smokey yunick (sp ch??) fenderwell headers..modified 69 chevy van straight axel hung on mono leaf....was built by dick weinle at old D&J motors...the motor was a partnership venture with him and dickie talon...was supposed to end up in the old Granny Goose corvette D&J had...dickie and dick had a fall out, dickie bought out weinle and dropped it into his mother in laws cherry 62 chevyIIthen had it set up...within thecourse of the winter, dickie's wife divorced him, and she got the chevy II ..I bought it...ya ready??? for $250....dickie had broken into the horse barn it was locked in and stripped the 4 speed rock crusher and pulled the olds center section...they busted him as he was loading the parts into his truck...I found the intake in the trunk...never mounted...talked to weinle's son, and he said it was supposed to have a set of reworked 750 dumb pumpers on it...so I thru a pair on it...son of a bitch iced like crazy when ya stabbed the go pedal....

then like a dumb ass, I traded it once I had replaced everything it needed for a chopper hd one nite at a bar cause my 3 year girl friend wanted to ride...and I was a bit tiried of working on it after 2 years trying to get it all back together...I did get to drive it around town a few times...no mufflers, but we lived in the country,,,yanked the nose thru the first 3 gears, with old school Kelly N50-15s on the rear...car was sweet, fully bodied, chrome bumpers and door panels....perfect 62 chevy II gloss black.....good times....

29. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Okay. So, how many did MT make?

30. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

I can not tell you how many, but I have one for my HP409 that has not run yet! Gary