Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anybody price batteries lately

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by junkyardjeff, Dec 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Wally world batteries are kissing the hundred mark so if I saw correctly the price was 56 dollars at Rural king then that is where I am going as I doubt anyone else is cheaper. If I have to give around a hundred the battery will have to wait until after christmas and the iffy battery will go back in.

2. indyjps

indyjps

I started buying my batteries at walmart,if one goes bad there's usually a walmart close by to swap it out. If you grab it off the shelf and take it up front, they usually don't punch the date code on it.

3. Chuck R

Chuck R

Between my wife and I, we spend $150 a week on gas. When you put it that way I have to agree, a $100 for a battery every 3 to 5 years isn't so bad. Oh well, need to find something else to bitch about.
    Have you guys seen the price of Vans lately?????? :)

4. jvo

jvo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Geez, if we're old and bitching, we ought remember how much batteries cost 30 or more years ago. Up here ( in Canada) everything costs more, and I can remember paying 50 or 60 bucks for batteries 3 decades ago or so. Last one I bought here last year cost me less than a hundred bucks.

A friend and I were just talking about this a few weeks ago. Wondering when batteries would go up in price like everything else has. I think batteries are still a hell of a bargain compared to most everything else on a car.

5. My stock one went 11 years in my daily Ranger. Battery heater in the winter helped I am sure

6. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

My friends '03 Ranger is still on the original battery.

7. flamingokid

flamingokid

I got almost 10 years on my Frontier.

8. Saubrenner

Saubrenner

I work for the company that owns "the last lead smelter in the U.S." It's true that the smelter at Herculaneum, Mo. is closing but that isn't where most lead for batteries comes from anyway. I work at the largest secondary smelter in the world and we recycle batteries to make lead for more batteries. On an average day, we take in and recycle 40-50 loads at 800-1000 batteries per load. We also ship 600-900 tons of lead per day, mostly to battery manufacturers. We also supply most of the bullet manufacturers. There are still 12 other secondary smelters in the U.S. The going price for lead is based off of the London Metals Exchange and is running right around $1 per pound.

9. my47buicksuper

my47buicksuper
    from sunny fl.

I had to think long and hard about buying a batt here in fl I called around to atleast 15 diff stores and the cheapest price for my "get good mpg around town car" was $125 hell if prices keep going up I'm going to have to give up mpg and just drive my old cars around,
    Hell I payed $80 for a special order 6v for my Buick not to long ago .
    I even think my lawn mower batt was $40-$50

I think I'm just going to start push starting cars agen like I did before when I couldn't afford batts

10. slowmotion

slowmotion

Just bought a Napa Legend yesterday, $102. 51R series which is a pretty small battery.

11. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Lithium batteries have made good inroads into the motorcycle world. I have one, it weighs almost nothing compared to lead acid, and can sit idle for long periods without charging. Still pricey though for now.

http://shoraipower.com/

12. yblock292

yblock292

Best deal i found recently, needed a 6 volt for my stock model a, parts store wanted $95, farm supply place, Atwoods, $49 same warranty

13. They're still working the bugs out of these, I know of at least one that caught fire and they're sensitive to charging rates. They are very small and lightweight though....

14. hoodprop

hoodprop

Very expensive these days. When I work at the junkyard we would sell the good ones out of cars for 20.00 with a 5.00 core or you could get a reman with a 6 month warranty for 45 with a 18.00 dollar cor. I am running a reman in my hotrod and it has done jsut fine.

15. jcs64

jcs64

exactly why Ive been hand cranking my '29 A for the last two yrs :)

The batt is also on its way out on my '72 FLH m/c. The battery is over $100 and will last for 2-3 yrs. I figure I can add the kickstart for under $100 and that should last till im about 60yrs old and can no longer kick:)
    Adding the kick start will be done this winter!

jeff

16. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Did some calling around today and the lowest price I could find for a group 51 battery was 62 dollars,if Rural king cant beat that price that is the one I will get. That place had a rebuilt battery for 29 dollars but not sure about one of those,I always though batteries were priced by the size but it seems to be the same price for the line of batteries.

17. I have a Shorai in my Harley XR1200. List price on it is $229.00!!! It is very light, and I have had good luck with it so far. But a few of my friends that live in very cold climates that have them say it has to be "awakened" when it is butt cold out. By that they mean you have to hit the starter one or two times before it will turn over that V-Twin lump. not only does this have to be hard on battery life, but it kills the starter life as well. They do not make them big enough for cars yet.
    Braille does make bigger ones - and they run from $179-299.00
    it will be interesting to see if they are the wave of the future

18. I have been buying Deka batteries for some of my Harley's for quite a while now. They are made by East Penn manufacturing who took over the factory contract for Harley from Yuasa. The last one I bought for my wife's FatBoy lasted 11 years, where the old Harley battery's were lucky to last 3 years

19. wow, can't believe they are still around. I use to by my 8v batteries there back in the late 50's. I think they were about $20.

just paid $230. for an Optima.

20. B Ramsey

B Ramsey

I've always thought about making a battery sized generator. Open hood, pull rope, start generator, turn key to start car. You could even have the pull rope come out of the fender well or something. My grandpa had a dozer that had a small engine to start the big one.

21. havi

havi

$150 for a Polaris 700 ATV battery! (DEKA)

I got mine for $125 thanks to my discount.

22. McGurk

McGurk
    from Mid West

Well it's encouraging to know that someone is paying attention. The EPA closed down the last lead smelting company in the US. It had nothing to do with pollution and everything to do with restricting lead projectiles know as bullets by most. If they cannot take our weapons then they will shut off the supply of ammunition. Fire arms dealers are now rationing the number of rounds that an individual can purchase. I had to go to three different dealers to end up with 4000 rounds of FMJ for my AK-47. The 4000 rounds of ammunition was imported from Russia.

http://www.thenewamerican.com/usnew...melting-plant-to-impact-ammunition-production

Herculaneum, Missouri: 145 jobs lost due to over regulation by the EPA. Coming soon to a factory near you.

How many of you know that the US Senate recently voted on handing our nation's sovereignty over to the United Nations? An organization that hates America. Fortunately it failed with a 46 to 54 vote count. They will try again and we might not be so lucky next time. They are pushing for one world government.

Take a break away from your hot rods and help to save your country.

OK! Spank Me.

hipster likes this.
  23. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

The 6 year old Wal Mart battery in my 99 pickup just died, so I'm going back there for a replacement. Like others said, Walmarts are everywhere if you have a problem. I think I payed about $80 for this one 6 years ago, I bet it will be way over $100 this time.....:(

24. McGurk

McGurk
    from Mid West

Stay clear of Interstate batteries. I loaded three of my trucks up with the best battery that Interstate had to offer and after the second pickup load that I took back for warranty I made them cash my warranty out and then went to Ford and purchased their premium Autolite batteries. That was seven years ago and I have had no problem with them. Now the SOBs will all be dead in the morning.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.