Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Cutting up a model a...

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by DrSweeneyRod, Dec 6, 2013.

1. DrSweeneyRod

DrSweeneyRod
    from England

How would i go about cutting up a model a coupe body ? And here's why...

At the moment i have a 38 ford panel truck that i will be shipping back to England next year, but my model a itch is getting really strong, but can only afforded to ship one vehicle...so my plan, have seen build threads were people have built model a body's out of parts, so if i could buy a body, section it to fit in the panel truck, and only have to pay for one lot of shipping.

Can any help with how to go about this and if it's possible, or know of any build thread links or pictures ?

Also were is the vin located on a model a coupe please, Frame or body ?

Thanks anyone who replies.

2. squirrel

squirrel

A model A body unbolts, the quarter panels come off the center, the cowl is a separate piece, etc. It can be a lot of work to take one apart, but they do come apart.

vin is stamped on the frame

3. Stormtron

Stormtron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The VIN will be on the frame (left side near front).

4. squirrel

squirrel

5. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Go here: http://www.fordgarage.com/
    scroll down to body section, Model A, then on to the 1930 coupe body rebuild...LOTS of information, of course there will be rivets and spotwelds to drill but very doable. The bodies were originally built in several sections to be shipped to plants flat where final rivets, spots, and bolts made 5 or so slabs into a body...
    I bet body and frame can both be stuffed into the panel.

6. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Pack that panel with any old car parts, tools etc. you will be needing when you go home. I once shipped a huge amount of parts to Holland using a complete rolling Model A chassis as a "trailer" with extra frames and crates secured to it.

7. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

You didn't say if you are considering a roadster or a coupe. I presume it's not a sedan.
    Keep the panels whole, dismantle at factory joints where possible. Many years ago I re-fitted the back of a coupe that had been cut right through the rear quarters, this was done to fit it in a container with another car when it was shipped to the UK. They made such a mess of the cuts I had to add an inch strip between the two parts. I metal finished it but it was not easy.

David

8. DrSweeneyRod

DrSweeneyRod
    from England

It's a coupe body i will be after, the panel truck will be like a small container and i want to collect as many parts as i can to put in side. The coupe will be a long time project, but wanted to buy sooner rather then later as i have seen price of parts just going up and up. I never cared much for model a's, but over the last 3 years it's just been growing and playing on my mind.

9. bt34

bt34

I completely unbolted my 30 A coupe body..Spray all the bolts
    with a good penetrating oil morning and night for a week or so..
    Extra tooling required were just the Robertson square headed screwdriver bits.

Attached Files:

10. A small tip on separating the body panel bolts is to tighten them until they shear,rather than trying to undo them.Most will break after only a quarter twist.
    I brought my first coupe body in peices and some clown had used a chisel to (try) and split the rear qtrs only to punch holes in the panels,(f-wit).
    Just a thought.
    And yes,the cowl will fit in the rear of a panel in one peice as will all the rest once unbolted,the only part you may need to break down further would be the subframe and rear pillars to fit.

11. DrSweeneyRod

DrSweeneyRod
    from England

Great info and enough for me to look in to...cheers everyone.

12. tinmann

tinmann

You must have imported a Canadian body. U.S. bodies don't have Robertson hardware as it is a Canadian invention (and a damn good one at that).

13. bt34

bt34

My one I purchased in NZ way back in 1972...;)

Attached Files: