Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Started spec'ing out parts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mr T body, Oct 11, 2012.

1. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Do you have any plans to install a slight kickup in the rear of your frame to ensure your diff travel does not hit the underside of the frame.

I never did it to my model A hot rod and wish I did...

2. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

No plan to kick it up. I'll have 3" of compression on each side and over 2" to the brake block. The Bilstein's are more reactive than other coilovers and have less un-dampened initial travel, so less travel is required.

3. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Another day closer. Now to drill mounting holes and weld nuts inside the rails and plates.
    [​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  4. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

One side done. Not real pleased with the radius of the bends, but my options for bending 1.75"tube are limited. Tying it into the rail at the rear running board brace for some extra support, too.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. It's very refreshing to see someone with a picture of what they want in their mind and the stones to make it happen. Yes son, you do choose the wheels first then cut the rear axle to fit!!!!!!! Good on you!

6. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

The wife was hanging out with her girlfriends, so I had a few hours to kill in the garage. This is what happens when I get bored and dig out the bender, a little tube and the flaring tool.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Little trivia.... back in the late 70's/ early 80's I owned a company called Specialized Stainless that made custom stainless hardline for race cars, show cars, boats, and production work for Redline/Weber. Feels good getting back to custom bending and fab. Last night? Let's tuck that proportioning valve in real nice and tight......
    [​IMG]

8. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Absolutely amazing day. Locked myself in with ELP, Oingo Boingo, and Mott the Hoople on the surround and a ton of beer. Was in the zone for hours and got a TON done! If I had used my brain on my last order and gotten the residual pressure valves, I'd be having Sweet make the lines for the calipers to finish it up.
    [​IMG]
    In my quest to make this look like the factory built it, I wanted to make the brake lines look OEM too. I have no idea if anyone makes the tabs for holding the lines down on a 9" housing, but decided to spend some quality time making my own. Took longer than it's probably worth, but still brought a smile to my face when done. :D
    [​IMG]

9. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

More drilling and bending. Woulda looked like crap if I HADN'T gone thru the crossmember.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Bump Stop

Bump Stop
    BANNED
    from USA

Copycat!

[​IMG]

11. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Great minds think alike!

12. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

It's finally here.... time to tear it back down and start welding. I've been welding nuts to the inside of the plates and frame rails where I'm mounting components and done as much as I can with the engine and trans mocked up. With any luck it'll be a roller by New Years!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Merry Xmas and (hopefully) a Happy New Year. I have 2 weeks off and am getting some projects done. I'm hoping to have the '31 frame rolling by 2014.
    After tearing it down once again, I needed to straighten out the right frame rail before I start welding the plates on. Cracked running board braces caused the rail to eventually roll over. To get it back vertical, I made up a lever out of 2x4's to apply a little leverage. Kinda ghetto, but works great.
    [​IMG]
    Next up.... a TON of holes to weld up as well as welding square nuts on the inside of the frame rails for things like body mounting bolts, running board braces (so they're actually useable), skirt mounts, hood latches, etc.
    [​IMG]
    Finally flipped the frame and got the boxing plates for the x-member fitted and tacked.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 26, 2017
  14. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Been almost a year since the last post and a lot of things have changed in life. First, nothing of consequence has happened on the '31 until this week. My father's issues had brought our lives to a halt for the last 2 years, and his passing meant we had to find out what "normal" was again. "Normal" is getting back on the '31 and getting it on the road. Part of that was the decision to shut down the online store for Vintage Rod Components and get back to building. It's been great, but my focus in life has changed and I'd rather shut it down and sell off the inventory than do something my heart's not in anymore.
    OK, so much for that crap. This probably isn't "traditional", but what else is new. I'll be running an Odyssey PC925 AGM battery, but there aren't any battery boxes that are model A friendly, so after quite a bit of searching I found something I can make my own. Started off with a Nexgen Offroad battery box.
    First thing is flatten the dimples so I can mount it vertical and flush on the frame rail. Next, was fitting a "pull off" hinge (rather than unbolting the halves) to make battery service easier. Since it's under floor, I'll make an access panel to get to the battery, but I didn't want to have to crawl under just to change a battery. This car will be raked and the front slammed, so a little thought now saves me BIG headaches later.
    If this isn't HAMB appropriate for some reason, let me know

Attached Files:

15. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Spent a little quality time with the welder and got the bracket done and the the boxing plate finished. tray5.jpg

16. hipster

hipster

Looks good imho, glad you're back at it!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

17. Imwalkin

Imwalkin
    from Tucson, Az

Good to see you back at it. I would love to see you do a tech article on line forming. You are very good at it.

18. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

FINALLY got to welding! Got the front plates trimmed and tacked in place with the rear 2 to be done this weekend. Shop's a friggin' mess after all the grinding...... did I mention I hate grinding? frm1.jpg

19. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Got the ladder x-member and boxing plates tacked in, braces are next. frame.jpg

20. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Got the motor mounts tacked in, so with 2 weeks off I'm hoping to have it rolling by New Years! frame4.jpg

21. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

rails.jpg About 4 hours into welding on the boxing plates and it's coming along well.I'm shooting for it rolling in January.

22. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Finished boxing the frame..... what a learning experience. Couldn't be happier with the results as it came out level and straight as an arrow. My ghetto frame rack did the trick. I'm re-fitting everything getting it ready to drop the engine and trans in. Make the trans x-member, set the pinion angle and tack the coilover brackets in place! This thing could look like a car again.
    frm1.jpg frm2.jpg frm3.jpg frm4.jpg

Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
  23. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Few hours and a couple beers...... frm6.jpg

24. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

xmemb.jpg
    Haven't posted much as it's been progressing REAL quick. The major obstacle to this point was (oddly enough) getting the trans cross-member done. Now I have the final driveline angle so I can set the pinion angle, and proceed to tack the shock and ladder brackets in place. Already making plans on where and how to paint the frame.

25. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Busted ass the past week and got it on all 4's for the first time.
    frm9.jpg frm10.jpg frm11.jpg

26. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Been over a year since the last post, and haven't updated since it isn't "traditional". Figured since I've hit a milestone I'd update it, see if there's any interest on me continuing or if it's just too street roddy.
    All the suspension has been powdercoated metallic black and the frame sprayed metallic black urethane. Looks black in the shade but glows when the sun hits it.
    [​IMG]

OFT, bct and kidcampbell71 like this.
  27. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Little teaser. The cross-member/ladder pivot members IMG_1290.jpg

28. Very nice work.