Register now to get rid of these ads!

'41 Project Troubles - Title Issue

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Voh, Jun 3, 2011.

1. thaugen

thaugen

In most states the DMV is an administrative agency and the state police or highway patrol is the law enforcement agency with the records of stolen vehicles/parts. If the officer knows the tag should be there and it isn't, you prolly would need to show the serial number somewhere else on the body and on the frame, IF the car was stamped there back in '41. That's why people are sending you to a private company/dealer because they aren't as stringent when they inspect the car.

2. v8 garage

v8 garage

3. 36tbird

36tbird

Voh, where you at in San Antone? Do you know where the Texas DMV office is, just outside 410 on Callaghan? DO NOT GO THERE! Take you paperwork to just inside 410 on Callaghan where there is a little strip mall. Tucked back in a corner there is a commercial tag office that the dealers use. See those ladies in there and they should get it done for you.

4. bigdav160

bigdav160

From the FT. Bend County webpage:

5. redsdad

redsdad

Those who don't have a 41 Chevy probably would not understand.

6. Voh

Voh

thanks all for the information. I will keep you all posted as I move forward on it.

7. Voh

Voh

So I talked to the SAPD today about verifying the VIN and got some very bad news. He indicated that no chevys were/are to be VIN'd by any numbers other than the engine number. He said basically that the title I have in my hand for that car is useless. He said that it would have to be titled as a 2011 replica car. Now I guess I really dont have an issue with that other then what rules might be needed to make it a 2011 replica. Guess that blows my chances of antique plates and registration.

I understand the rules i guess. What I dont understand is how there are 100's or maybe 1000's of rides on here, many I know get pulled out of all sorts of nooks/cranies. How are they all titled? Are they all "new replicas"?

8. Voh

Voh

anyone? this has me sick all of a sudden.

If i have the title, it it right or wrong to create the tag?

Did other states register the cars differently? Would MI had used the serial number in lieu of the engine number?

9. banditomerc

banditomerc

so did you ever figure out the dilemma with registering your '41 chevy?

10. Rogue63

Rogue63
    from New York

Where is the id number on a 41 chevy coupe

11. Am I confused or are you making this harder that need be? With all due respect. When I tow home a new project I simply take the title to MVA and get it titled in my name.

12. '41 Chev

'41 Chev

IMHO, you should stop talking to people about your paperwork/title. Also stop worring about the tag which disappeared with the rusty floors. It is gone forever.

Go the the office 36bird mentioned give them your paperwork (pretending you have never discussed the matter with anyone) and ask for a tag and title.

Yes, it may or may not work. But, atleast you will have tried.

If they turn you down, as was mentioned above, go directly to the top dog in the state capital and ask them to help you know how to register your car. They know far more than some local clerk and will help you.

Good luck

13. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Don't know about Chevy but even in 1940 the Fords had the VIN number stamped into the chassis in 2 places.

14. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

Same here, why would they need to look at the VIN on the car? Just switch the title over and get some tags.

15. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

hey hey , theres a company in new braunfels will get a clear texas title for 150.00 , email me at maanca#mail.com and ill get you the info...mac

16. Rogue63

Rogue63
    from New York

the id is a plate with the numbers ,it is located in front of pass side seat under rug it will have model ,month it was produced ,plant and how many, mounted to floor.