Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Anyone remember this old gem?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by doorgod64, Dec 5, 2013.

1. Great find! Makes me wonder why it was parked. Was there any thing that needed repair that may have led to it being parked in '47?

2. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

If it were mine, I'd take it totally apart and CLR/SOS pad every square inch of metal...then put her back together. You'd be surprised at how much original paint is under that surface rust. Rust is not patina...

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I would build it very similar to the sedan HRP has.

Right now it's a survivor that will continue to deteriorate no matter how much you try to "care" for it.

4. Good for you. Nice shiny cars and chopped and cut up cars are everywhere at every car get together but yours will be pretty unique looking. I would do the same, in fact, I did. I bought a 28 roadster pickup that was so original that I had to just leave it as is.

5. Attached Files:

6. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

im not sure how any one is surprised that people on the hamb would hot rod this, i mean it is a hot rod forum right?

im not sure i understand that whole "rat rustoration" thing going on lately but to each his own it aint my car.

7. JasonCarGuy

JasonCarGuy

It's only original once. Love it!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. TERPU

TERPU

Just enjoy it whatever you choose to do with it. If it was mine (if I may be allowed to daydream a little) I'd put a dropped axle in it, rubber rake, 2x2's on the '32 motor to wake it up and drive the wheels off of it. Save all the original pieces, wash it really good, color sand and buff what you can just to keep it preserved. Great score for you.

all the best,

Tim

9. I can just smell that interior from CT! :cool: Great car! Enjoy the crap out of it;)

10. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hat's off for all the work you did to get 'er up and running again.

Nice to see a completely original Deuce once in a while.

11. doorgod64

doorgod64
    from California

Getting cold in Cali, may have to put an electric blanket on the old gal for the winter….

12. doorgod64

doorgod64
    from California

13. doorgod64

doorgod64
    from California

14. Hotrodhog

Hotrodhog

Guys...they are still out there....I picked up this all original running 1937 chevy with the owners manual and original sales receipt still in the glove box from a farmer in ND. Had been in the family since new. It has 58,000 mi on it. I drove it about 250 mi back home. Ran like a swiss watch and got 20 mpg
    It has a few dings & dents from over the years but that's the way it will stay...As it has been said, they are only original once!! :D

Attached Files:

• 1937.jpg
      1937.jpg
      File size:
      486.4 KB
      Views:
  15. [​IMG]

Repeal the 18th Amendment. Damn skippy. :D

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  16. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I have to say I would iron out the dents and make her look nice. Most people don't fix their cars when they become damaged because they can't afford to do so or they just don't care.

Which one would you be ?

17. doorgod64

doorgod64
    from California

The Story of this cars original owner (I left his full name out), as was explained to me…

In 1917, at the age of 25, Jonas ****** walked into the local Ford dealership in Columbus, Ohio and purchased his first brand new car, a 1917 Ford Model T. He drove the car for 15 years. After that fifteen years he decided it was time for a new one. He parked the running Model T in his barn, storing it on wood blocks.

In 1932, at the age of 40, Jonas went to the same Ford dealership in Columbus, Ohio and purchased a new Ford Model B Tudor Sedan. He requested two dealer installed options; an under dash passenger side heater and a spare tire cover (which I have). He drove the car for 15 years (a total of 51,750 miles) and decided it was time for a new one. Once again, he parked it in the barn on wood blocks, next to the Model T.

In 1949, at the age of 55, Jonas once again went to the same Ford dealership in Columbus, Ohio and purchased his third new Ford. He drove the 1949 Ford well into the late 60’s.

Jonas ******* passed away in 1975. His estate was left to his nephew. All three cars were left on blocks side by side in Jonas barn until sometime around 1980 when the 1949 Ford was sold. The 1917 Model T and 1932 Ford Tudor Sedan were relocated to Jonas nephew’s barn in Indiana. There they sat until 2010 when the Model T was sold to a local resident whom has since restored it. The 1932 Sedan was sold a year later in 2011 to a local resident who placed it in his barn until I acquired it in late 2012.

Attached Files:

18. Beau

Beau

This aint the Ford Barn!

Hot Rod that thing!

19. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

got any pics of it washed? :rolleyes:

20. I have to agree with Larry's first post on this. You don't have to restore it or rod it, but cleaning it up nicely would go a long ways. Dirt, dust and surface rust don't do that poor survivor justice.

21. Saw it at the November Twilight Cruise, very cool. I'd love to find a '38-'40 Graham "Shark Nose" with the factory Supercharged flat six in original condition like that, and just drive it. I did find one, an original owner, unrestored "combination coupe", but $40,000..,OUCH!

PS. A '34 Studebaker in this shape would be cool too.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  22. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

This is great.

23. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

OP ya done good...But you painted the engine so I would take care of the body too and the up grade to hyd brakes would be on my list...I have found that driving a stock old vehicle around opens up a whole new world; you see much more at 30mph than at 60mph....Bottom and only line is enjoy it, Jonas is probably watching!!!!

24. scotti32

scotti32

That is very cool.

25. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

Not trying to bust your nuts here, but you did say you restored all the mechanicals so you could drive it, so it's no longer in as-found condition...why not at least give it a bath and get some of the surface rust off her to let her original beauty shine thru? Removing years of dirt and grime and surface rust is not restoring...it's maintenance...maintaining her original condition.

If you really wanted to leave it alone as an original as-found survivor, you shouldn't have touched her mechanicals at all and just trailered her around as-is....which sounds kinda dumb to me....your car...your call.

26. Larry Pearsall

Larry Pearsall

I agree as to body cleanup.. As stated before rust is not patena ,