Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1935 Olds 3w coupe build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by praisethelowered, Jan 3, 2011.

1. pontman

pontman

Nice work on the intake.

2. praisethelowered

praisethelowered

After lightly searching for a few weeks among the stacks of car parts I found my passenger side starter flywheel housing. Collecting parts over 7 years can he hazardous, I wasn't even sure if I bought one or just meant to buy one. . . but there it is. I hope it works with this flywheel.

3. praisethelowered

praisethelowered

motor mount time-

Man these olds motors don't give you much to work with in the way of bolt holes in the block. I made a "hurst style" . . . but hurst never made them like this. . . mount for the front and I still need something near the bellhousing on each side and the trans tailshaft. The sidemounts on chevy's look really good to me now.

Anyway- I made a flat plate and aligned it with 8 timing cover bolts, then followed an arc up and over to make a pocket for a black mini alternator. I also curved it forward to meet 1/2" plates for the biscuits that extend from my a-arm mounts. . . then I made curved flanges top and bottom to make it all like an I beam nice and strong- cut metal shaped, beat into a curve, weld, grind, weld, grind, paint and 2 weeks later here it is.

Attached Files:

4. You, my friend, are an artist.

5. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

Beautiful work!

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

6. WOW.Impressive work you´ve done there .

7. telekenfun

telekenfun

Your motor mounts are just exquisite. I am impressed that you incorporated function into your brackets to make room for the low mount alternator in your design. Also by shifting the mounts forward to the control arm makes for a nice concentration of details for the eye. As your frame develops I can see it becoming a virtual "setting" for the Jewel, that 324 Olds motor. Your rear upper control arms show your concern for form and function as well. I think you are as much a sculptor as an architect. Maybe the Antonio Gaudi of frame fabricators! Best Regards and good luck with all your endeavors. KB aka telekenfun.

8. sigfurniture

sigfurniture

they look like antique cast iron or something, beautiful!, a real inspiration, whats the paint finish, also very slick

9. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

this car is gonna be insane

10. 5DeuceSled

5DeuceSled

The attention to detail is amazing. As is your finishing work, the matte finish of that paint just finishes it off perfectly. Very nice work, ive subscribed to this one.

11. praisethelowered

praisethelowered

thanks for the encouragement all- I am really having fun with the geometry and form of the fabricating stuff . .probably too much fun.

12. That is beautiful work...Love it

13. bcarlson

bcarlson

14. jamcoupe

jamcoupe

That frame work is great!

15. dentisaurus

dentisaurus
    from Boston

Damn, seriously impressive.

16. praisethelowered

praisethelowered

Of course I will run a hood so nobody will ever see the motor . . . but it sure looks good in there. Olds in an Olds.

Attached Files:

17. Doesn't get much better than that!

18. praisethelowered

praisethelowered

Putting the motor in there really makes me realize this is a whole new thing for me. I have built and driven a lot of 60's cars, a few 50's but never even ridden in a hot rod or 30's car with a V-8 in it. All of the sudden I am looking at this thing and realizing it isn't just a sculpture that sits in my driveway but that it will drive and will likely actually be fairly "fast" with that big motor!

19. You have that "air brake" above the windshield to help slow you down.

20. praisethelowered

praisethelowered

ha. . . I know, I know . . . I am not sure about that detail . . . but I love the old "bombs" that cruise my neighborhood and it looks better sitting in my driveway with no chop that way.

21. This is a gorgeous build. I especially like the Olds in an Olds. You talk & perform like you are an engineer. Are you? There are people, some on here like that kid that built that aluminum Willy's, who can just visualize things. I knew an old welder way back that, like you, was an artist. He built a motorhome from scratch. He had no plans, no nothing. He said he had it all between his ears. I envy people like you, like him & those with the gift to do that. I look forward to the rest of your journey.

22. praisethelowered

praisethelowered

I am an architect, but wish I was a car builder. You know how it goes.

23. bobadame

bobadame

I just found this thread and I've got to say that the work you've done is as good as any work I've ever seen. Please share some details about those front motor mounts. Are they cnc carved billet? I know that's a delicate subject in some circles but you've designed and executed those mounts to the degree of fine art. Thank you for showing your work. Many years ago I walked away from a '36 Olds that I could have bought for $60. It was around 1965. I've regretted it ever since.

24. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

Beautiful car, and great work on the frame etc.

I hope you ditch the visor, it takes away from the cool roofline on these cars.

It also might look cool if you extended the running boards to meet the fenders? It might flow just a bit better...??

Just a few opinions :)

Looking forward to updates.

25. You ARE a car builder, friend, that is obvious....

26. praisethelowered

praisethelowered

o.k.- another little side project.

I am for the most part restoring the body - not much customizing so the small things like bumpers and taillights are all I have. I already made bumper over-riders with taillights but I needed to mount the license plate, add a light, and I wanted to get a third brake light also. I love stem mounted 30's taillights but hate that they mount on the fenders and interrupt that line that flows to the ground . . so I thought I would use one for the license mount and light and put it in the center. Sounds good but after years of looking casually I finally figured out that all of them have tilted mounting bases for left and right fenders so they cant mount to the center. . . and they are all pot metal so no welding.

So-
    I carved my own out of a chunk of steel

Attached Files:

27. praisethelowered

praisethelowered

O.k. really it is two chunks of steel welded back to back with a 1/4" gap (provided by the studs) to route the wires through. Then I drew the shape on all sides . . . and a few hours and a few beers later with a 4" grinder and it became the right shape with a smooth hourglass from all angles.

I also made a plate backer with split tubes to stiffen it.

Attached Files:

28. ThirdGen

ThirdGen
    from Wales, ME

Digging the direction of this build. Nice work on the bumperettes/tailights, and also digging what you did with the third brake light/license plate holder. Anxious to see the next steps on this one.

- Josh

29. OLLIN

OLLIN

Or fade away fenders :rolleyes:

Good job on the bumper guards man..

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

30. praisethelowered

praisethelowered

Thanks for the encouraging words hambers. . . we all know these builds have their ups and downs and it is nice to get the encouragement.