Register now to get rid of these ads!

Evapo-rust???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by isky1843, Dec 5, 2013.

1. isky1843

isky1843

What is everyones experience with Evapo-rust? I searched the forums and found it mentioned a few times but wanted to know if this stuff is worth a crap. I have the opportunity to get a 55 gal drum of it for next to nothing but don't want to get it if it doesn't work and then end up having to find a way to get rid of it.

2. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Works very well in my opinion, use it offten de-rusting machine shop tooling.

3. Works well- loses it's strength after so many uses, but I've had good success with it.

One neat thing you can do is soak a towel with it and lay the towel on sheetmetal to cover a large area.

4. Works good!

5. Hellfish

Hellfish

I've used it a few times. In my experience, it works just as well as plain vinegar, only slightly faster, and a lot more expensive

6. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

I've used quite a few gallons of it. I think it works pretty well. It will evaporate if left uncovered, so you need to keep it in a sealed container. If you're getting your hands on 55 gallons worth, I bet you could sell that for $15 a gallon on craigslist and make some money.

7. They named it right, It evaporates very fast. Worked pretty well though....

8. BeatnikPirate

BeatnikPirate
    from Media, Pa.

I used it to clean the rust out of my Model A gas tank. It seemed to work pretty good.

9. isky1843

isky1843

I guess I will go ahead and pick it up then. It was a mis-shipment to one of our customers and the supplier won't take it back so I have to write it off now. I may just post a clasified ad on here for it because that is more than a lifetime supply for me. At $8.00 a gallon my cost I can't pass it up. If anyone is interested, PM me or look for an ad in the classifieds.

10. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Yep it's $25 a gallon at HF.

11. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I soaked some rusty steel cowl lamps in it overnight and when I pulled them out they looked like the day they were made. The bare steel was shiny and the painted surfaces still had paint that looked great. However, I had to coat them with WD 40 real fast as they started to rerust almost immediately.

Don

12. This is a 24hr soak in some very used 3 yr old vinegar from the dollar store.
    I did spend about 2 mins with a steel tooth brush under the sink.
    I pulled it this morning and its flashed a tiny bit in this pic mins ago.

Attached Files:

13. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

In my experience it does what it says it will, unusual in these times.

14. putz

putz
    from wisc.

in Wisconsin the price is $23.00

15. 53 COE

53 COE
    from PNW

Just used it on my Dart station wagon roof......over night soak. (Paper towels under plastic sheet). Followed with KBS coatings "galvanized steel" primer.

It does work, better and safer that Ospho.

$400 worth - you could de-rust a whole project.

;)

Attached Files:

16. Andy

Andy

It appears not to attack steel in any way. Viniger will eat iron and steel. I even soak original column drops in it. It removes all corrosion but does evaporate if not covered.