Register now to get rid of these ads!

My 57 Pontiac Safari: "From RUST to GLORY"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, May 5, 2008.

1. Pat yourself on the back! Looks beautiful.

2. DRD57

DRD57

Oh yeah! Those are the pictures I've been waiting for. Well done!

3. ratt7

ratt7

Looks really good !!

4. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

That's fantasitic! Beautiful job, you deserve every compliment you get on it Makes me want one!

Brian

5. Thumper

Thumper

Oh Hell Yeah !!! Now thats what I'm talking about !! Awesome workmanship...Kickass....Double D Tits !! :D:D

6. hotrodjohnny77

hotrodjohnny77

7. belair

belair

What a beautiful car. Don't care for the 55-56 so much, but you have done yourself proud with that 57. Really nice. Congratulations.

8. Kerry67

Kerry67

To me, wagons are the coolest cars out there and the 57 Pontiac is at the top of my list, so to say I am jealous is an understatement. Awesome. Hell, I liked it even before you started working on it !!!

9. FNG

FNG
    from New Jersey
    1. HAMB Relays

Man super nice work, very very nice car you've inspired me on my project. I have to ask you two things you mentioned missing side trim I saw what appeared to be a complete set of side trim on the car when it was on the trailer, why not polish up the original stainless? From what I've been told a lot of guys are chroming the stainless and it looks killer nice. Also why didn't you put the glass back in the car before you painted it? I would be scared shitless of scratching that beautiful paint job. Did you have any problems getting your side glass out like I did? Every freaking screw and clip was rusted in place.

10. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

By 'missing stainless' I meant to say I hadn't put all the orig. side trim back on after the paint job at that point- Its almost all back on there now. I polished it by hand with semichrome and steel wool. The car was missing the chrome rocker molding trim, so I bought a repro set, and I've got one side on (see last pics) so far.

The complete upper liftgate was removed when the car was painted. The glass stayed in the liftgate. Because the gate is potmetal its warped and pitted. I need to get it straightened and chromed, and then the top edge (which forms the rain gutter above the back window) will need to be painted the roof color again.

11. Jay71

Jay71

Great wagon! I was stoked to see it in Santa Maria. Looks real good!

12. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

man that thing is gorgeous!!! very well done!!!

13. FNG

FNG
    from New Jersey
    1. HAMB Relays

Yeah I know all about that pot-metal my Nomad has exactly the same stuff as your Safari. Did you have alignment problems with the rain gutter on the liftgate? Mine was way out and every guy I spoke to told me to 86 the torsion bars and replace them with lift pistons. I thought I had a lot of rust to fix on my roof but man you had your hands full and did a magnificent job

14. Slick, not that I dig Pontiac or anything!

15. jeffrob

jeffrob

this car is insane, perfect everything