Register now to get rid of these ads!

new guy with new car

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by 5.2jeepyj, Dec 4, 2013.

1. 5.2jeepyj

5.2jeepyj

Well after lurking around browsing the forum last couple weeks thought I'd introduce myself. And my 47 desoto I just acquired from my brother. Its a 4door sedan in relatively excellent shape. No engine or trany. Which isnt a problem since I just so happen to have a 2000 Chevy 5.3 in the garage looking for a new home. Picking up a 4l80 this week for it. Also planing on swapping an explore 8.8 rear with disk and limited slip, explorer front disk, cavalier r& p. Aerostat front coils and relocate shocks. Redo interior with a bit of custom work and modern seating and kicking around blacking it out gloss black paint and getting all the bright stuff black chromed.:D

As soon as I can figure out how to post pics I'll get some on here

2. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

welcome aboard , the hamb is a great place for info and tech tips,,love the desoto cars..best wishes on your project

3. 5.2jeepyj

5.2jeepyj

Yea I'm kinda stoked ive built a lot of jeeps and a 69 firebird years ago. Have had the itch to build a 40's car for awhile.

4. 5.2jeepyj

5.2jeepyj

Well here's pics

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

5. bk53

bk53
    from Rowlett Tx

Wow, interesting car. They can clean up nice. Advertised em as rust proof. How'd that hold up?

6. 5.2jeepyj

5.2jeepyj

Amazingly real well its got some surface rust hear and there floors so far seem solid trunk will need some new sheet metal. Over all nice and solid

7. looks like a nice project, enjoy.

8. Model T1

Model T1

Welcome. Like the car. Hate your late model plans.

9. 5.2jeepyj

5.2jeepyj

Lol well thing is I HATE carburetors swapped late model 5.2's into both mine and the wife's jeeps fuel injected. All the way

10. 5.2jeepyj

5.2jeepyj

OK here's an update. I've started collecting parts. Here's the 2000 5.3 I had that needs a home, I picked up a 4l80e with 94k other day I found on cl. Also picked up a set of new Moog variable rate aerostar springs on eBay for $35.00. Let the fun begin:)

Attached Files:

11. 5.2jeepyj

5.2jeepyj

Ok got a little done after getting it home. Cleaned it out and have a couple small spots in floor pan I'll need to patch and new floor in trunk other wise real solid so far. I pulled the dash and striped it than welded up the center and guage opening for new guages. Also set new engine in place and welded mounts. I removed lower portion of the firewall where it angles into the end compartment so I could place eng as far back as possible to allow enough room for radiator and electric fan. Started stripping front drum brakes off for disk and spring swap to get my front ride height set before doing the rear. I was given a complete jag IRS setup so I'm gonna use that in the rear. That's about it so far.

Attached Files:

12. mikeallcars

mikeallcars

13. 55 Ford Gasser

55 Ford Gasser

Welcome from Virginia.

14. 5.2jeepyj

5.2jeepyj

Thanks I'm enjoying some really gd info and interesting builds here. Im going in a direction it seems that a lot here don't approve of, but in my opinion there really is no rules in building an old car. Everyone has there likes and dislikes. Its my car and I have a vision of how I want it hopefully. A few will like what I'm doing.

15. start a new thread about your build with all your pics and progress. not sure it should be part of your intro.

and welcome for Russ near Renton WA

16. 5.2jeepyj

5.2jeepyj

ok everyone that's looked wich category would you think this falls into for a build thread?