Register now to get rid of these ads!

History What did you first learn to drive?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bbscamp, Dec 1, 2013.

1. Odonnis

Odonnis

I learned how to drive in my Dad's 3 speed 49 Ford F-47 which I now own. My Mom let my brother and I drive it around the yard so we could help her with the garden. Took my drivers licence in a AMC Rambler. My first car was a two door Chev Impala, drove the poor thing into the ground.

2. nickk

nickk

My grandpa, now 91 learned as a very young child how to drive in one of his dads T models they used on the farm to earn a living. That was before the A model even came out. But his first car of his own was a hopped up 38 ford coupe deluxe

3. TinShed

TinShed

1948 F1 with a flat head and 3 on the tree. I was 12 and my parents let me by a project truck. Wish I still had it.

4. 1927Tudor

1927Tudor

Mom's 65 Mustang (Later mine) in '76...

5. bustedwrench

bustedwrench

Learned to drive in a '76 Plymouth Volare station wagon. Mom's grocery getter. My first car was a '65 Mustang coupe, 170 c.i. six banger and 3-speed.

6. I learned to drive in my 66! This was and IS my first truck. Issue is I don't have a licence....cause I am only 14...BUT I DIDN'T STEAL IT SO NO WORRIES!!!:D

7. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Started driving my Mom's 63 Ford Station Wagon when I was 11, she could not back it out
    of the garage so I would do it for her, then turn the car around and pull it up to the front
    walkway. This led to me taking over putting it in the garage for her after she took off a side view mirror. Took my drivers test in the same car, examiner could not believe how
    easily I could parallel park. Learned to drive standard on a 66 mustang that my boss wanted brought into the shop.

8. smittystoys

smittystoys

Took my driving test in my grandmothers 67 396 caprice..

9. Learned to drive in my Dad's pasture in a 51 Ford Coupe. V8, 3 0n the tree. Not sure when that was. I pretty much taught myself. I got my driver's permit in 65. On the way home, my Dad stopped the car, got out and let me drive home. First time I had been on a real road. Took driver training in a 65 Ford Failane 4 door, 3 speed, V8 - no air. I took my driver's test in our 62 Chevy Bel Air 4 door. My first car was a 57 Ford Retractable Hardtop I bought from my brother for $150 in 1966.

10. Got a 38 Ford fordor when I was 15 and taught myself to drive it.

11. Stretchmobile

Stretchmobile
    from So Cal

learned on a 68 VW bug with autostick, my Dad's. I had fun driving it and was going to buy a bug for my first car. Then I saw the cover of Dune Buggy & Hot VW's magazine with a red Cal look Ghia. I didn't know that car existed. I bought a '70 Ghia for my first car in 1977. Dead battery and it had to be push started, what do you expect for a $1200 dollar car. Problem was I never drove a clutch before. My Mom and the seller pushed me and I got it fired. I had to drive 2 miles to Kmart to get a battery and I knew I couldn't stall it. Had to take off uphill several times. I learned to drive stick the hard way but I made it and it was a lot more relaxed going home knowing I could start it back up if it stalled. First of about 15 VW's.

12. RidgeRunner

RidgeRunner
    from Western MA

'47 Farmall "A" in the mid-late '50's. Yard art now, seized with 4 flats, keeping it just because. Graduated to a '39 Diamond T picking up hay in the field, had to hang from the wheel on the very edge of the seat to work the clutch.

Practiced on the road with my Dad's '52 Ford and the driving school's new Comet, took the test in the Comet. 15 and 1/2 knowing everything I originally took the school just to get the insurance break, soon found out the more I learned the less I know. Life lesson learned turned out to be far more valuable than the ins savings. Couple weeks later bought my first car, '54 Ford 2 dr Customline 6 std., one of the best all around bangs for the buck rigs I ever owned.

Ed

13. 911 steve

911 steve
    from nebraska

Learned on mom's 64 Chevelle 4dr with a 6-cyl automatic. I was lucky when I still in high school she traded for a 68 Camaro, 327, automatic. When I got out of high school in 1970 and started working I bought a 66 Chevelle SS396, 4-spd. In 1972 I bought a 40 Ford 2dr sedan, 283, 4-spd and sold it a few years later. Now I have another 40 Ford sedan I am building to be just like it. I saw my 90 year old great-uncle at a car show last summer with a stock 24 model T roadster. He told me he bought it cuz he learned to drive on one just like it.

14. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

I was 12 learned in my Dads 49 Buick.

15. 1969 international cub low boy tractor at age 8

Attached Files:

16. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

41 International pickup and a John Deere in 55-56. Took my drivers test in summer of 58 in a 37 Ford pickup and bought a 54 Merc at start of school in Sept.

17. Saubrenner

Saubrenner

I learned to drive and shift a John Deere 440 log skidder, it didn't have a synchronized trans so it was tough to learn. I took my drivers test in my first car, a 68 Camaro, 6 cyl. 3 on the tree. I took my chauffeurs test (now called a CDL) in my first new vehicle, a 76 Chevy shortbed 4X4. I also accidentally ran into the back of the licence testers car when I went to take my motorcycle test (almost didn't get to take the test).

18. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

In 1956 I was 11yo. Learned on a Farmall Cub tractor. It's been all up hill ever since then....................

19. richie rebel

richie rebel

54 merc 3 on the tree,in 1958

20. jroberts

jroberts

Learned to drive in my Dad's '40 Plymouth four door. I took my driving test in Hawaii in a 1963 Datsun sedan. I had to take the dirver's test all over again when we moved back to North Carolina in 1964 in a '64 Falcon w/three on the tree. My first car was a 1959 Opel station wagon. It was a heap and lasted all of three days. After that it was a 1966 Opel.

21. DrJ

DrJ

My Dad used to sit me on his lap in the '40 Pontiac and let me steer and shift gears all over San Pedro when I was a kid. We moved to Long Beach when I was in kindergarten so it was before that.
    I did my first brake job on Dad 's '52 Mercury when I was ten and I used to park
    it in the garage and back it out before that.
    I actually went out and drove a car in Dad's '53 Olds 98 when I was 15 and had that learner permit.
    He eventually gave me that 98 town sedan but I just junked it because it had to many doors and I was embarassed to be seen in an "old man's car."

Now that I rethnk it, I learned to "drive" in a Murray pedal car!

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  22. wombat barf

wombat barf
    from oklahoma

wow....I had to think about it. it was a bud's parents' 1973 Ford LTD fordor with a 460.

[​IMG]

The instructor had the ill-bred nerve to ask me to parallel park the thing and I was arrogant enough to try. I failed but he passed me anyway.

23. alanwoodieman

alanwoodieman

learned to drive first on a Ford tractor in next door neighbors garden plot, then graduated to 53 GMC pick-up, a real fancy one, went to horse stables outside of Atlanta to shovel manure into the truck, he got wasted on moonshine and I drove us home, by the time I got there I had mastered a clutch and three on the tree--needless to say we hid this from my parents and his wife. by the end of that summer I was a pretty cocky driver all of 12 years old!!

24. Not HAMB appropriate, but in 69 I was taught to drive a 4 speed 68 SS Camaro in a school parking lot. THANKS Bob DiLoretta!!!!!!!

25. 8N ford tractor when I was 8 or 9, then on to the wood hauler, a 1950 Ford F1 pickup. Drove it around the farm a lot and on my Uncle's property across the street. Took the F1 into town once when I was 13, it sucks when everybody knows you and your Dad is a cop... Took my drivers test in a 1965 Falcon Futura wagon cause it was easier to drive than the F1.

26. rd4pin

rd4pin
    from louisiana

My brother-in-law taught me in and let me use his '53 Merc Merc-o-matic more door.
    I got my license at 16 in June 1960, before I left for the Air Force as soon as I turned 17.

27. Tall Tom

Tall Tom
    from Austin MN

My Dad's 53 Buick tudor hardtop, 3 on the tree, straight eight.

It was a nightmare learning with that car because to start it you had to push in the gas peddle because the starter rod under it somehow.

Now picture this........ I hadn't mastered the Clutch, so I get to a Rail Road Crossing that has an UPWARD slope and came to a stop... push brake, slow down and push clutch and then the brake together and come to complete stop. Look for trains, not any, quickly take foot off of brake and at same time get back on the gas and let clutch out.... it kills.:mad:

Hit brake (so it wouldn't roll back down the upward slope and into the car behind me), push in clutch, put gear lever in neutral, take left foot off of clutch and put on brake, take right foot off of brake and push gas peddle down to start it up again, put right foot back on brake, take left foot off of brake and onto clutch, put back into gear.:)

And the process starts all over........ and I killed it again.:mad::mad::mad:

The third time I floored that sucker and peeled rubber across them tracks....... :D

End of in town driving lessons.:cool:

After that we went out on country roads and avoided RR tracks.:)

28. U-235

U-235

1952 Chevy business coupe.....belonged to my Dads machine shop and my older brother let me drive it when he was delivering drill bits in North Dakota.....got my permit at 13 and drivers license at 14.....no test, they just issued it to you if you applied.

29. My family never had a car , so I got lessons from a local instructor.

She had a well used Ford Anglia (Harry Potter car) it had a nasty clutch and a gas pedal like a switch, it was all go or stalled . LOL

Got my licence though :D

[​IMG]

30. Got my liscence in a 1986 Ford Laser, front wheel drive POS. But my first real taste of driving was when my father built me a Gokart with a 85cc Suzuki, I was 3 years old. Managed to track it down a couple of years ago and Ive just restored it to its former glory