Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Classic Tire/Wheel question

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by donnymopar, Dec 3, 2013.

1. donnymopar

donnymopar
    from MI

I am working on a 24 Dodge hot rod project and have decided to go with the original 20" solid wheels. I was looking at new flaps and Universal tire and Coker want around $58 each. Has anyone used duct tape to wrap inside of rim instead of a flap. I have done this on my Harley spoke rimes and never had a problem (100k miles on the scooter - 6 tire changes).

Thanks,
    Don

2. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

I have duct tape on a set of wires now. Seems to work.

3. donnymopar

donnymopar
    from MI

Thanks for the confirmation…I have used it on my Harley wires for the entire 100K with no problem.
    Maybe someone else will chime in as well.

4. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Have had a set of 50s Chrysler wires with tires mounted in the 70s wrapped in duct tape with tubes on several different cars and now a Mullins trailer. Only flat I ever had was on the trailer when it picked up a rather large nail in 1990.
    Just bought a set of 50s Dodge wires , two with tires, two no tires. The no-tire ones have duct tape wrap.
    It works.

5. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

i use electrical tape

6. txturbo

txturbo

I don't see what the point is with a solid steel wheel...

7. Squablow

Squablow

Damn. I was going to say no, but apparently I'm wrong. I've used electrical tape on bicycle wheels but that's about it. This is good to know.

I did buy some Gorilla brand duct tape recently and it's super thick and gooey, would probably be ideal for this.

8. Squablow

Squablow

To keep the rivets from rubbing on the tubes, correct?

9. txturbo

txturbo

Ok.....if there are exposed rivets it makes sense.

10. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

Duct tape works well on drop center wire wheels to protect the tubes from the spoke ends.
    I believe your 20" Dodge wheels are split-ring, flat base, non-drop center rims.
    Flaps were designed for that flat-base type rim, ( both, disc center & wire spoke type ) to protect the tube from the inner edges of the tire, especially when mounting & dismounting.
    You may get away with out using flaps, but it's not recomended.
    Duct tape on a flat base rim just makes it harder to mount the tires and has no benefit.

11. donnymopar

donnymopar
    from MI

I wasn't sure since I never used these 1924 rims with a "split ring"…I just taped them up today. I will be having a guy down the way who has a safety gage, and has done old wheels/tires putting them on for me. He had said that the flap was the way he had always mounted them. I told him I always just used tape on my Harley wires with no problem.

Thanks again guys for the help.

12. donnymopar

donnymopar
    from MI

Oops, posted a little too quick. Thanks for the heads up…since I already taped them up…we see if this does anything either way. I will be getting them mounted next week, we'll see if I need to take it off, if the tire man strongly agrees that I should.

13. 3340

Yes I Have Used Duct Tape On Wires With No Trouble

14. I used duct tape back in the 70's on a set of Buick wires before mounting the tubes & tires. HRP