Register now to get rid of these ads!

Another Weesner Inspired Hot Rod (Lit Up)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 193257, Jan 10, 2011.

1. fleet-master

fleet-master

Hi Jimmy, your rear bumper treatment looks great!! Will you be doing something similar at the front?
    btw I'd still like to see how you have finished off the bed floor /tailgate shut area if poss :)

2. aonemarine

aonemarine
    from Delaware

I look at his shop and pout, why cant I have a shop like that? or atleast have a friend with a shop like that......

3. hasty

hasty

Thanks for the updates - and great to see this going again. Amazing skills.

4. Thanks for the update, great work. I like that you are using the earlier bed side style.

5. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

Very impressive!
    Thanks for finishing it up for us.
    TP

6. deucetruck

deucetruck
    from Missouri

Amazing work, Jimmy! Can't wait to see the truck this summer.

7. nailhead terry

nailhead terry

As we say in Texas she it !

8. Thanks Jimmy!

Looks amazing, we appreciate the time you take to keep us up to date.

Cheers M

9. How great would it be too be A young man to work under this man and learn this craft.
    Your sir are a craftsman of the first degree. Thank you for posting.

10. My God I would quit my job to be able to learn to build like this! Can't wait to see the final product!

11. edthomas

edthomas

Verry nice Jimmy. Thank's for the update, you create the finest examples of metalwork. A real inspiration.

12. Jimmy Hervatin

Jimmy Hervatin
    from Midwest MO

I got started on the new running boards. The ones that I had on the truck were a aftermarket set. The panels had allot of tension in them from the beads that were put in them. The edges were not straight they would have been imposable to make them perfect. So my only choice was to make new ones. In the painting, Weez put some louvers behind the cab on the running boards. I wanted to put those in my new boards. I laser cut the blanks out of 16ga steel. Put slits in the sheet where the louvers were going. This way my louver die only had to form the louver.
    P1010134.jpg
    I had a bead tool for my turret punch that was the same width and height as what I wanted ,but with a rounded profile. I new the tool would do a nice job of setching the panel. But it would not be flat on top like I wanted. But I made some refoming die's for the pressbrake that would make it like I wanted. Here is the panel in the turret punch.
    P1010135.jpg
    The tool did a nice job of setching the material for the bead, but the tool has a rounded profile.
    P1010136.jpg
    Here are the reforming die's.
    P1010137.jpg
    Here I am pressing.
    P1010138.jpg
    Here is the finished bead. Reformed with a flat top and the ends rounded.
    P1010139.jpg
    Did the same steps for each bead.
    P1010140.jpg
    Here is the louver form die I made.
    P1010141.jpg
    The panel with beads and louvers.
    P1010142.jpg
    Next I bent up the long edges and it is starting to look like a running board.
    P1010143.jpg
    Well thats how for I got for now. Next will finish ends and add in front rounded corner by front fender.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  13. 55 Mercury

55 Mercury

Looking cool Jimmy. Your truck and shop is amazing. Thanks for showing us around in Oct. can't wait to see this truck finished.

14. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

That looks amazing.. Great job!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

15. Phxsinner

Phxsinner

WoW is an understatement of your skills and abilities.

16. oldman2

oldman2

That is so sweet, beautiful job. Most important is, it's the way you want it....Jim

17. gonzo

gonzo

JJ said it all when he said.

[​IMG]

18. Jimmy Hervatin

Jimmy Hervatin
    from Midwest MO

Got farther on the running boards. I needed to make the curve part by the front fender. I could have pie cut the piece and welded the cuts up. But I have more F-1 trucks I hope to do some day, so I decided to make a die and press form the part in urethane. Here is the die in the press brake pressing the part.
    rsz_p1010148.jpg
    Here is the part. One is straight the other is curved. I will trim the ends off.
    rsz_p1010149.jpg
    Here is the corner tack welded in place.
    rsz_p1010151.jpg
    I made a hammer form out of 1/4" steel to turn the flange on the ends. I am turning 1/2" flange over. I will then weld another piece to this. This way I will not have to weld on the corner, which would be much harder to hammer the shrinkage out in the corner weld. I will have to weld some on the corner, but not in the flat part. Here is the hammer form.
    rsz_p1010144.jpg
    Here is the end plate welded in.
    rsz_p1010155.jpg
    Well after finishing off the welds. Doing a little tune up here and there. I metal finished the running board. Here is some pictures of one of them on the truck.
    rsz_p1010156.jpg
    rsz_p1010157.jpg
    rsz_p1010158.jpg
    I still have to finish the other side and spot-weld some mounting plates to them. There will be no mounting bolts showing.

19. Wow Jimmy those are incredible!!!

20. oldman2

oldman2

Jimmy, you make everything look so simple, when it's not. Killer work with a beautiful running board....Jim

21. Dear Santa Claus: please ask Jimmy to make a pair of running boards for me. PS, I've been VERY good this year.
    Great job!

22. Deadbird

Deadbird

Absolutely beautiful work!

23. Gotzy

Gotzy

Incredible craftsmanship and a joy to watch

24. deucetruck

deucetruck
    from Missouri

Less is more!! Simply another amazing build, Jimmy.

25. Tin Can

Tin Can

WOW, those running boards are a work of art!

26. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

Jimmy...it is a real treat to get to see your fabrication skills. Thank you for sharing with us, there are thousands of us who appreciate your work

27. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Incredible work, Jimmy - thanks for sharing it with us!

Malcolm

28. Jimmy Hervatin

Jimmy Hervatin
    from Midwest MO

First I want to thank everyone for the nice comments on what I have been doing. I wish I could get the pictures to come out bigger on the post. If anyone knows how I am all ears. I am a little better at metal than computers. Well I got the stud plates welded on the back of the boards. I also put some studs for mounting some screen on back of louvers (maybe). If you wonder what the holes are for along the edge, later I am going to make underside covers to the running boards. Now I am started working on rear fenders. Cut hole in fender to weld taillight bucket in. That's all for now.
    rsz_1p1010159.jpg
    rsz_p1010160.jpg
    rsz_p1010161.jpg
    rsz_p1010133.jpg

29. daddio211

daddio211

Ha ha ha... I hope to accomplish something like that in a lifetime and you casually crank it out in an afternoon! Keep up the great work, sir, you have no idea how many of us you inspire and teach!

My '27 T Roadster build: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t= 734383