Register now to get rid of these ads!

another T5 question...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dan, Dec 2, 2013.

1. Dan

Dan

Rounding up parts to put a T5 behind the 261 in our '53 sedan, have two trans, has the one already had the input shaft and collar shortened? It's quite a bit shorter than the other???

Attached Files:

2. Snarl

Snarl

Yes, and they took more off the tip than they needed to.

What are you using for a bellhousing?

3. Dan

Dan

I will have to look up the numbers on the bellhousing to see what exactly it is...it fits the front of the trans and bolts up to the six cylinder, its a 6 cylinder bell of some kind...

4. Dan

Dan

379551 is the p/n on the bellhousing...

5. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

Its shorter.....what is your question?

6. Olderchild

Olderchild
    from Ohio

I do believe the left is stock s 10and the right is jeep t5, flat Ernie is the expert

7. Dan

Dan

That's interesting about the jeep I'll have to see if I can some numbers on the case. How far into the pilot bushing does the input have to go? I don't have any pilot bushing so I'm making one on the lathe. Gonna go to the tech archives now and see if any of this is covered.

8. Snarl

Snarl

no. Jeep used the Ford bolt pattern and a larger diameter bearing retainer.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
  9. Snarl

Snarl

if you were to measure the tip of the T5 and any 3 or 4 spd that would have been behind that engine, you would find them to be the same diameter, so why make a new pilot bushing from scratch? you could just use any 6cyl or V8 bushing from the 1980's on back.

10. Snarl

Snarl

Picture?

There is a reason I'm asking...

11. Olderchild

Olderchild
    from Ohio

dam, wrong again , but i still think the one on the right is a jeep, mine has the same length shaft and collar

12. Olderchild

Olderchild
    from Ohio

dam your quick

13. jeep had 10 spline like older GM.

14. pbr40

pbr40
    from NW Indiana

Just my 2 cents the 2 are different do to the input shaft splines. I agree I think the other is ford or jeep. Never the less I bought the hot rod works adp for my 261 w/ t5 and it moves the trans back about 1/2 inch. (I used my stock 53 bell housing) I think the later bell housing 55-63ish will bolt right up not sure if it is 1/2 longer if not you would have to trim your input shaft.

15. Dan

Dan

Only reason I am making the bushing is I'm broke (I know, whats a new one, a couple bucks??) and I enjoy playing with the lathe...I'm pretty amateurish with it and like to find ways to practice with it...
    I'll get a pic of the bellhousing up for you...

16. Snarl

Snarl

That's fine. Just make sure you're using oil impregnated bronze, but I'm sure you knew that.

I need a picture because I'm not finding that part number listed in my Hollander, and anything close to it is newer than 1963, which would mean that it's not going to fit a 261, I just want to be sure of what you have before making any recommendations on part selection.

17. Dan

Dan

pics of bellhousing...

Attached Files:

18. Snarl

Snarl

They are both 14 splines. Like Dan said, they are the same except for the shortened collar and shaft tip. Both appear to have the wide Muncie Chevy bolt pattern, so no on the Ford or Jeep issue then.

Whether or not to use an adapter, or a spacer, or nothing at all depends on the bellhousing he is going to use.

19. Snarl

Snarl

Ok, looks like 1958-62 car 235 bellhousing, so we are good on that.

With using that in a 1949-54 car, the fork angle is going to be wrong, assuming you are going to hook it up to the stock clutch under floor linkage setup.
    Both transmissions you have could be used. If using the shortened one, then a thin shim between the trans and housing should be all you need to get enough spline to keep the disc from binding on the input shaft.
    I sell a thin spcer for this purpose, and I also have a piece of clutch linkage available to fix the fork angle issue.

You could also use the uncut trans, but you will still need to shorten the collar, and it might be necessary to take a small amount off the tip. This assumes using the thin spacer. If you were to go with the thick spacer that others sell, then you could avoid cutting the tip, but it won't save you from cutting anything else, and it will cost an extra $100 just to say you didn't need to cut the tip.

You could do it without a spacer if you took a Dremel tool and lengthened the splines a bit.

Other option would be to use the stock 1949-54 car bellhousing and stock linkage, and buy an adapter plate like pbr40 suggested, and then use the trans that hasn't been cut. You would still need to shorten the collar and run a 1/2" drill through the case holes, but you won't need to shorten the input shaft itself.

20. Dan

Dan

Does this look doable???

Attached Files:

21. Snarl

Snarl

any amount of daylight between the flywheel and clutch disc and you are good to go!