Register now to get rid of these ads!

buried or submerged finds

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by crotex, Jan 11, 2011.

1. 01spirit750

01spirit750
    from Ohio

So this vehicle if OT for Hamb but it is relevant..

http://www.worldwarhistoryonline.co...wo-wwii/item/967-another-buried-sherman-found

This model Sherman was nicknamed "Easy Eight" and fought its way through mounds of coal, snow and dirt for some 14 years at the hospital. The saga of CI's armored vehicle did not end when the maintenance department retired it in 1960. When the hospital converted its coal plant to natural gas, the tank was no longer required. It sat for many years having parts stolen off of it and eventually the hospital did not want it any more. What do you do with an unwanted 36 ton tank?

2. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

A tudor

Attached Files:

3. Looks like a diorama

4. Mo rust

Mo rust

I once stumbled across a group of cars partially buried in a creek in Southwest Missouri. There was a Model T 2 door sedan, a 34 plymouth 5 window coupe, 2 model T coupes and 9 open cars that were just pairs of windshield stanchions sticking out of the ground. They all appeared to likely be model T era. I went back the next summer and couldn't find the spot in the thick brush.

5. 1963phil

1963phil

Found this 6 cyl engine block buried
    Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

6. Several we found along a river bank in Wyoming while on a road trip.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There were about ten 20's mostley roadsters.

This 36 coupe was not far off.
    [​IMG]

7. A couple more from a diferent road trip in south west Colorado.

[​IMG]

The A coupe came from the same ravine buried upside down about 6". The sedan was at another site. It was starting to sink into the ground.

[​IMG]

8. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

Here's part of a '32 cab I dug out recently....its pretty rough;
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And a cowl from a different location. I think this is a Model T center door cowl
    [​IMG]

Bobby

9. The short story is that I was rebuilding the engine in our basement back in Royal Oak, Michigan when I was 17. I had decided to move to California at the spur of the moment. I left the car and parts in the hands of my father. He sold the house and the new owner of the house was tired of calling my Dad to come and get the engine in the basement. He and his buddies took it out behind the garage and threw it into a hole. When I came back a couple of years later, I learned the fate of my engine. Had to wait a few months until the guy sold the house and rushed over and talked the newest owner of the house into helping me find it and dig it up. Here is the story in print. Click on the images a few time to enlarge enough to read....

Attached Files:

10. sport fury

sport fury

that is one cool story.

11. The worst part of the whole episode is that I had taken the engine apart and the guy who buried it just dumped it into the hole and filled it in with dirt. The best part of the whole ordeal is that the guy didn't have the where with all to take the engine to the scrap yard. It is a one year only engine.

12. Ramblur

Ramblur

Sikorsky S-43 that Howard Hughes crashed in Lake Mead in 100' of water killing two crewman in 1943. Howard paid to have it recovered and rebuilt into an executive transport.

[​IMG]

Showed up next door this summer for another restoration
    [​IMG]

Howard took another whack in the head from the switch panel seen here.
    [​IMG]

13. THAT is COOOOOOL!

14. In late summer of 1965, long before we had any environmental concerns, my friend Mike (RIP) and I dumped this Tony Fiel built "301" Chevy, Rochester injected, engine into a canal near our home after the #3 crank-journal web was liberated from the rest of the block while spinning 7,500 - 8,000 RPMs (!) in the little '57 Chevy , Belair sedan we used to race.
    In later years, during many trips to that area, I would scour the canal looking for that block to no avail while my wife shopped nearby.
    Then about 6 years ago I found it! It had gradually made it's way approx. 500ft. downstream from where we threw it in.
    It haunted me since then to the point that yesterday , with help from a friend, I retrieved it. Why? I don't know. I just had to get it and it wasn't easy, to say the least!
    It's hard to believe that a useless, inanimate object such as this can evoke some kind of a sentimental attachment, but it does.
    Memories, such as it's last street-race on Rt3 east-bound in Clifton,NJ against a new GTO came flooding back. Running D/Gas and D/Stock at Island drag-way and E-Town almost every week in 1965.
    My wife said, "please don't tell anyone you did this", but I thought I could tell you guys.......

Attached Files:

15. this should be an interesting thread w/ cool digs to be found =)

16. dan31

dan31

We get it[​IMG]

17. texkbc

texkbc

I found this sitting upside down in a gulley. The landowner said it had been there for 40 yrs.

Attached Files:

18. TERPU

TERPU

You are quite sane and have a really good soul.

All the best,

Tim

19. willo_96

willo_96

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1386043457.069658.jpg
    Just saw this one and thought it was pretty appropriate

20. toml24

toml24

In July of 1965, during the filming of "Flight of the Phoenix", Paul Mantz was killed when the plane he was piloting crashed in an area called Buttercup Valley, near Yuma, AZ. The film company decided to bury the remains of the plane at the filming site in Buttercup Valley, where it presumably resides to this day.

21. acadian_carguy

acadian_carguy

Great story! I get what you are saying. Hard to explain...I know my wife would not understand...

22. henry's57bbwagon

henry's57bbwagon

23. 63comet

63comet

There is a river near Cherokee, NC where the retaining wall to hold the road up is made up of old cars, anyone got pictures of that?

If'n anyone wants to go digging I can take you to a well that has the Model T one of my great uncles died in at the bottom of it, been there since the '50s? My father remembered when it was used to help fill the hole.

24. agshelby

agshelby

Dug up this T a few years back. Was buried standing up on the back of the cab. The back was rotten.Doors were solid, cowl and windshield posts were repairable . Sold it -

[​IMG]

25. Russman69

Russman69
    from MI

This is the '33 Chevy coupe stock car I found particularly buried behind an old barn. Dug it out and brought it home.

Attached Files:

26. henry roberts

henry roberts
    from australia

for totally nuts retrievals you should look at the vw scene. the barndoor kombi guys in particular.

this is a fave of mine. the build thread is worth a read if you like stupid metal shaping skills.

http://www.ssvc.org.uk/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=35155

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

then I saw this swamp extraction... WTF! for those that just don't get it, it is a 1st production year, LHD with left hand cargo doors = 1 of maybe 1 - 3? in existence. (and barndoor kombi guys a f'n crazy.)

http://vimeo.com/80846391

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
  27. Now that would be some cool yard art!

28. About a mile from my house, I don't know how long its been there, but I've watched it slowly disintegrate over the past 40 years. About a 35 IH pick-up

Attached Files:

29. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

Here's a couple from some local river banks. Car bodies were used as rip rap and there are still a ton of them around but they can be hard to get to and even harder to take pics of.

'36 Ford Fordor I got the dash out of this, believe it or not.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

'36 Ford coupe floor and frame, before and after some quality entrenchment tool time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5 window thing

[​IMG]

'40 ish ford sedan
    [​IMG]

'35 or '36 Ford 5 window

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]