Register now to get rid of these ads!

*MrModelT and Powerwagonmaniac build a T speedster in 6 months!*

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MrModelT, Jun 23, 2010.

1. MrModelT

MrModelT

Patiance.......Patiance... :)

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. powerwagonmaniac1

powerwagonmaniac1
    from Aloha, OR

NoboD thats what i keeptelling myself patients patients. Locked myself in the machine shop again tonight and started building some more parts for the mag control. Hopefully my you g freind cN come over tomorrow evening and help get a few things closer. Hmmmmm?

3. I have no patients, but then again... I'm no doctor :D

Great to see that things are moving ahead so well Chris- would LOVE to meet up with you all in Jersey, if next year's school schedule allows :)

4. noboD

noboD

Skooll teechers! A friend used to say any word worth using should be able to be spelled a few different ways.

5. I've got to friends who used too say the same thing, two

6. Rapid Robert

Rapid Robert

Looking good, you guys!

7. powerwagonmaniac1

powerwagonmaniac1
    from Aloha, OR

Mac would love to meet up in Jersy sometime when this monster is running right. Had a Blast meeting Rapid Robert and NoboD at Bonneville Speed week last year. hope fully I can get the Special down to Bonneville in 2015 might be plans in the works as Clayton and Troy are considering driving their Ranchero and Falcon down there.

Thanks Robert. We are making progress.

So today Clayton shared his expertise at wiring by helping me build the harness. A couple of months ago Clayton drew me up a wiring diagram and with that I started making a new harness for the special. First order of business was to rewire\repaint and polish the switch box from a 1915 Overland and set it on the shelf till we were ready for it.

[​IMG]

Well during the week I made up brass brackets to mount the switchbox on the column. Once mounted (which was late Thursday evening) we could start the harness building part. First thing first was to sort out the wires and label them according to Clayton's wiring diagram.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We next ran the wires to fuel pump, solenoid, and magneto wrapping each set to give it just the right vintage look with old school friction tape.

[​IMG]

Then hitched them to the fuse block... still have Headlights/taillight, side-lamps, Horn, and Trouble light and Spot light to hitch up yet.

[​IMG]

I am still working on the mag controls on the lathe and mill. I have Monday off so I should be able to finish that before next weekend. with ant luck good possibility of firing the Special up for the first time either Saturday or Sunday next weekend.....

Chris

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
  8. powerwagonmaniac1

powerwagonmaniac1
    from Aloha, OR

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chris

Well finished the wiring harness last night and did a couple of things this afternoon next up tying up loose ends and hopefully start it next weekend

9. powerwagonmaniac1

powerwagonmaniac1
    from Aloha, OR

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Starting to look like a car again....

10. Olderchild

Olderchild
    from Ohio

^^^ dam nice looking one too!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. powerwagonmaniac1

powerwagonmaniac1
    from Aloha, OR

Thanks olderchild, I like it a lot even better when it going down the road!
    [​IMG]

12. MrModelT

MrModelT

[​IMG]

UPDATE
    IT LIVES!!!!!
    :D

Last Summer, this was the scene....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nearly a year and a half after a broken crankshaft crippled the "Special" after only 52 miles on the way to Bonneville, the new motor is complete, installed and RUNNING! .......not with out some issues however.

At first, it flat out refused to start at all, so I checked the points in the Bosch DU-4 Magneto and found them open to .060"+. These old mags need to be set to .015" to .017" or they WILL NOT run at all. I also found that one of the two lobes that open the points was not doing it's job....so it was only firing on 2 cylinders.

After we corrected this, checked our timing one more time and re-gapped the plugs to .018" (down from .040") we finally got Her to fire and run.....

...on only 3 cylinders. We did a quick compression check and found all cylinders came in at 90 lbs, except for #2 which had 0 lbs. Fortunately for us....this is due to a out-of-adjustment valve.

We should have this fixed and be giving rides for New Years! :D

And of course (as promised) a video of the car running ....and Chris giggling :)

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  13. Sounds a little like Speedbuggy... the car, not Chris' giggle :D

14. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

15. noboD

noboD

16. MrModelT

MrModelT

Bump

17. powerwagonmaniac1

powerwagonmaniac1
    from Aloha, OR

Very cool to here it run again even though it was on 3 cylinders. Spent the last couple of days building parts. I didn't like the way I built the hand throttle pulley and cable set up so went about building a new one. Also found out the accessory brakes we built neveractually worked right before we left on our trip to Bonneville ( Not a good thing!!!!!) so we had to redo it all still some bugs to work out but hopefully this weekend to actually drive it the first time in a while. Thanks goes out to MrModelT (Clayton) and InkedForLife (Troy) without there help and many others the Becker Special might still be a pile of parts.

Happy New Year Y'all!!

Chris

18. Happy new year fellas, great to see you all still hard at it. :)

19. powerwagonmaniac1

powerwagonmaniac1
    from Aloha, OR

Happy New Year to you to Jeff. Just not enough time, would pike to have it running sooner.

20. MrModelT

MrModelT

[​IMG]

UPDATE
    It Lives.....Take 2
    :rolleyes:

Well after getting the compression issues sorted out on cylinder #2 (out of adjustment exhaust valve), this happened.....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/LUNdjdiZA90" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

We are having issue with it starving for fuel now....but it runs! The reasons for the fuel starvation is the fuel pump location. We have the Autopulse mounted to high up on the firewall....and it is having issues drawing fuel up that high to keep the carb happy. We will be relocating the pump in the next few days. Hopefully it will solve the problem. I did some more diagnostics after this vid to confirm my thinking.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/8y7dUfR1qdc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Keep your fingers crossed..

21. noboD

noboD

Clayton, you could prove it's the fuel pump by using a lawnmower tank mounted high and let it feed by gravity.

22. MrModelT

MrModelT

Very true. I tried simply shooting a small burst of starter fluid in the carb when it started dying....I could keep it running pretty smooth until I stopped adding starter fluid.

Also the speedster uses the same tank, carb design, pump and lines as my T.....the only difference is the tank is lower and the pump much higher then mine.

I think we will try the gravity feed tank test.....

23. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

My personal experience with that type of fuel pump is that they work well if they are mounted below the fuel tank, but very poorly if above. They don't suck well at all, but if gravity fed will pump well.

24. LB+1

LB+1
    from 71291

gas tank vent is my call

25. MrModelT

MrModelT

It has a vent (cap off) and I can pressurize the tank with the hand pump too.

I agree, the pump is higher then the tank. On my car, the tank is 6" to 8" inches higher then the tank on the Special. The pump on the Special is also 8" higher then the one on my car.

26. powerwagonmaniac1

powerwagonmaniac1
    from Aloha, OR

27. MrsModelT

MrsModelT

She liiiiiives! :):eek:

28. noboD

noboD

Way to go Chris and Clayton. Sounds like you guys are having fun!

29. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Too cool. Great to see it's up and running again.