Register now to get rid of these ads!

Test Picture posting ?

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by jimvette59, Dec 2, 2013.

1. jimvette59

jimvette59

2. Raven53

Raven53
    from Irwin Pa

I have problems with this system all the time I'd post more if I could just get them to up load

3. jimvette59

jimvette59

I was just using a resizing site I was given on this site. It does take some time. It is called Resize Images on Line.

4. How are you trying to post your photos here. There's a couple different ways of doing it.

One way involves uploading your pics for storage in an album here on the HAMB. The images then appear in your post as a small thumbnail photo that you click on. It then opens up larger in a seperate window. I think these images can only be posted on the HAMB.

Another method involves uploading your pics to an online image hosting service like Photobucket, Image Shack or Flickr. Your images are stored there and you place a link to the image in your post on the HAMB. These are the pictures that appear in your post at the larger size and don't have to be clicked on to view. These images can be posted on the HAMB as well as just about anywhere else on the web.

Depending on the method you're using there may be different solutions to the problems you're having.

5. You can re size images in windows paint. Then just go advanced and click the manage attachments button below the reply text box, a drop down window will appear and you can brows your machines photo files, select the images you want to upload and click "upload files" they will appear as thumbnails that can be clicked on to view full sized. very quick and easier than it sounds here.

Attached Files:

• 32.JPG
      32.JPG
      File size:
      404.3 KB
      Views:
  6. As mentioned by ClayMart,Photobucket is a off site storage house for your pictures,,easy to use and the site automatically re-sizes your photos fpr posting. HRP

7. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

I store my pictures on my own computer. Never any problems posting them.

8. Your original photos (image files) are stored on your computer. When we see your pictures on the internet, we are not looking at these original image files. Unless your computer is set up to work as a server, which I doubt.

For your pictures to be visible to everyone online you need to upload a COPY of your photos to an image hosting service (like Photobucket or ImageShack, or even to Ryan's servers here on the HAMB).

When we view your photos online, we are not looking at the original image files on your computer. We are seeing a copy of the file that you uploaded that is either being stored offsite (Photobucket, etc.) or onsite (in your photo album on the HAMB).

Your computer could be turned off, unplugged from the internet or you could even delete the image files from your hard drive. But we could still see your images as long as a copy remains stored somewhere with an image hosting service. You may be storing the original file on your computer, but you are also storing a copy of it somewhere else online. :D

9. EnglishBob

EnglishBob

This pic is straight from my desktop.
    No off site storage etc.

Attached Files:

10. And now there is a copy of this image, THAT YOU UPLOADED, stored onsite on the Jalopy Journal's servers, which is what we're actually seeing here.

Here's the link to this copy of the image...

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2089254&d=1386255136

Take this link and add the "open image" tag [​IMG] at the beginning and end of the link, add it to your post, and the image will open in the thread, like this...

[​IMG]

I only know maybe about 3% of how the internet works, but I think I'm explaining this correctly. If somebody has a better explanation please post it here. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  11. jimvette59

jimvette59

I used to be able to post pictures from my computer but Ryan and company changed something. Go figure.

12. Bam.inc

Bam.inc
    from KS

"open image" tag [​IMG]
    So if you open the app to old threads & most of pics are rectangle box with zig-zag through them like broken links, what's that symbol?

13. If you don't mind my asking, when you upload photos here do you always upload them directly to the HAMB or do you sometimes upload them to someplace like Photobucket first?

Your picture in the first post...

[​IMG]

...is hosted on the Jalopy Journal servers. Here's the link to it. Double-click it to open it in a new window.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2087820&d=1386039899

If you want to see where I got the link to your photo hold your cursor over it and right-click. In the window that opens left-click on "Properties" and look where it says "Address". That's where your picture is located on the 'net.

I've had good luck getting pictures posted here over the years. Maybe we can figure out a way to make this work better for you. When you know a little about how this stuff works it can be easier to troubleshoot problems.

OK. Here's where thing may get a bit sticky. You mention opening an app to view the HAMB. Which sounds to me like your doing this on a smart phone. Which is part of that 97% if the internet that I don't know so much about. I assume that the pictures still have be to hosted somewhere to make them viewable here.

What you're seeing are probably broken links. If the owner removed the images from the image host, renamed the image files or moved them to a new image host, the old image links in the post will no longer work.

14. jimvette59

jimvette59

Clay Mart I had to go to Resize Image on Line and down size the image in my computer by 50%.

15. Downsizing by 50% is a step in the right direction. But it's a little vague since I don't know what it's 50% of. If you're starting with an 8 mega pixel image and reducing it by 50% it's still a little larger than it needs to be to post here, but not so big that it's a real issue.

I looked at some of the online resizing sites and they did seem to be a bit sluggish. I suspect that you could resize on your computer without having to go online. It will be faster and it gives you more control of what you're doing. But it depends on what software you have available.

If you have a newer version of Windows, WinXP and newer I believe, Windows can resize your pics for you. Or do you have any image viewing or editing software like Kodak Photoshare, Picasa or Irfanview? These programs and others will usually be able to quickly resize images without going online, and many of them are free to download.

I don't know how deeply you want to get into this. But for the most part I downsize my images on my computer to around 800 x 600 pixels and save them to a specific folder where I can find them easily. Then I go online and upload them into my Photobucket account. Since they're already downsized they upload faster. Then I copy the IMG links I need and paste them into my post here, or anywhere else I need to online.

BY NO MEANS IS THIS THE ONLY RIGHT WAY TO GET YOUR PHOTOS ONLINE. It's just the way I've become comfortable with and I seldom have problems getting my pictures posted on the web.

And the size of your pics isn't the only thing that may be causing you problems. But it's one of the easier potential problems to eliminate. I'll be glad to try to help if you can give me a little better idea of what you're working with. :D

16. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

17. jimvette59

jimvette59

I apologize to Ryan and company. I found out my new camera takes pictures at a higher amount of pixels that makes the pictures to large to up load for this program.
    To make things easier I am using my older camera.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  18. Well it sounds like you're gaining on it. But it seems a shame to not use your new camera if you can. :(

The image you uploaded above is 2369 pixels wide and 1777 pixel high though. It's apparently small enough to upload to the HAMB's servers but it's still about twice as large as it needs to be to display in this forum. Most newer monitors only display at about 1400 or 1600 pixels wide. And on most forum pages 800 or 1000 pixels wide is plenty.

I don't know what kind of new camera you've got, but I'd bet there are some settings you can make to alter the image sizes. Check the camera's menus and look for something like "Image Size and Quality". Try a setting like 800x600 or 1024x768 pixels for images you want to post online. But just remember that you'll want to reset the camera to shoot at a larger size if you're planning to make prints of your shots.

Or as already mentioned, shoot bigger, and after the fact, downsize the images that you want to post online to 800x600 or 1024x768. :cool:

19. jimvette59

jimvette59

ClayMart I don't like to fooling with my camera because I am camera challenged and it is easier to just use it. JMHO

20. Fair enough... :D But if you get in a jam on something don't hesitate to ask. :cool:

21. jimvette59

jimvette59

Thanks for your help. Jim.T.