Register now to get rid of these ads!

REPRODUCTION Metal DEALERSHIP EMBLEMS

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by motion corvette, Nov 30, 2013.

1. motion corvette

motion corvette
    from CT

Anyone have a source for something like this? A friend of mine found were his car was originally sold at. His wife called me to see if I could help her as its a gift for Xmas (or maybe later if one needs to be made)? They have done the ebay and swap meet looking for years now and nothing (I have searched myself). It was a small town dealer in upstate NY so pickings are slim he will ever find one. The dealer was Ames Chevrolet in Cortland NY, but making a repop would work but who does this today? Thanks

MODS PLEASE MOVE IF POSTED IN WRONG SPOT THANK YOU.

2. Might give these guys a try-
    http://www.emblemart.com/
    No idea what they are like price wise, but its a place to start.

Also, try the search feature for threads on casting, some very talented guys here you might be able to get ahold of.
    Good luck!
    :)

3. motion corvette

motion corvette
    from CT

4. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

It appears that Ames Chevrolet is now http://www.royalmotorco.com/ in Cortland - maybe give them a call. You never know, they may have an old emblem in a drawer.

5. motion corvette

motion corvette
    from CT

Yes he tried that. The car was sold out of the old dealer location at the original main street address in 64, and is now at a different location new ownership. When my friend called they thought he was nutz...(he is, maybe a little) lol... Thanks!

6. motion corvette

motion corvette
    from CT

May of found a place called motorhead jewelery. Will call on Monday but still willing to take suggestions? They have a vintage tag design and fonts but not going to be cheap as a one off as I told her.

7. Boldsmobile

Boldsmobile
    from W.Mass

A friend used a custom jewelry maker from Prov RI area - there are lots of them there. They also gave him the mold. But they duped an original.

8. TP

TP
    from conroe tx

I found an original dealer emblem on ebay of where my car was sold from. I checked for about a year then one popped up. $28

9. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Most cars die close to where they were sold.... A trip to the closest auto parts yard near the point of sale might be a worthwhile trip.... You'd probably need to re-plate it.

1964countrysedan likes this.
  10. motion corvette

motion corvette
    from CT

Would not be a bad idea if it was not 4 1/2 hours one way (he has called, but your right better to walk the yard yourself). My friend and I both have had the saved search on ebay for a long time, him well over a year. Maybe some smaller dealerships didn't do this back in the day?
    Thanks you though, looks like a repop or nothing at this point? :(

11. check with your local community colleges and see if they have any industrial art classes and a water jet, if so it wouldn't be a big deal to make one out of steel and then having it plated.

12. moonlight graham

moonlight graham
    from wyo

13. funny - most guys take them off - but when we were running our yard in Dallas back in the 90's - someone called for a dealer tag - "Earl Hayes - Chevrolet" ..we were happy just to mail one out to him....

lwf

14. motion corvette

motion corvette
    from CT

Thanks all, wish me/us luck. Just shocked in a way more folks don't offer a service like this? Maybe just not cost effective? I do appreciate the help!

15. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

The only other thing I can think of is calling around to salvage yards in the Cortland area to see if they have any old cars with the dealer badge, but they may think you're nuts. ;)

16. aonemarine

aonemarine
    from Delaware

Do you have a picture or anything ??

17. One thing to remember about the old dealer metal scripts is that they screwed on and made holes in your trunk. I have the original dealer license plate frame with my 57 Ford, it is from Cort Fox Ford in Hollywood. A license plate frame may be an option for you.

18. Looks like they can do exactly what she wants :)
    [​IMG]

19. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

from the guy who thought it would be ok to do some HAMB things without Ryan's approval................buyer beware

20. Big_John

Big_John
    from Upstate NY

Get in touch with Cadillac Dave on this forum. He's dealt in NOS Chevy parts from the Cortland area. It wouldn't surprise me if he had something.

21. You might also check salvage yards in your area. I found three dealer badges from the long-defunct Skyline Dodge (gone since 1980) at a boneyard about 40 miles from Denver. The guy let me have all I wanted, and I found three in very good condition. My '66 Dodge was bought new there in Jan of '66, and the dealership kept the same logo style for over 20 years. So, finding one was relatively easy.

Of course, in CT and NY, you probably don't have a lot of old cars in the scrapyard, either. Worth a shot, though.

22. motion corvette

motion corvette
    from CT

I have to wonder if he is the person who sells on ebay. I shared and email with a person that had some collectibles and said he removed a lot of inventory before old building was taken down? I will post a picture tonight what they think would be correct.

23. motion corvette

motion corvette
    from CT

[​IMG]

I can get fonts if needed? Comma and period would need to be attached to letters.

Trying to copy something like this..

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
  24. Big_John

Big_John
    from Upstate NY

That's probably him. Louies1948 is his ebay handle.

25. motion corvette

motion corvette
    from CT

That's too funny... Yes same person! If he has one the price just went up, I sent him a PM here....

26. aonemarine

aonemarine
    from Delaware

Motioncorvette, that looks pretty good. Can you convert it into a 3d stl file? I'll play with it tomorrow and see if I can come up with something for you but I'm not the greatest 3d Cad guy.
    If you get on thingiverse.com look up cerberus333 (Perry) and ask him if he would be willing to make up a 3d printable version for you, might want to offer him a couple bucks gratitude. Then get the stl file from him and you can either have it directly printed in metal or use the lost pla investment casting process.

27. aonemarine

aonemarine
    from Delaware

The AMES is giving me a bit of grief, the program isnt likint the intersecting triangles for some reason. Im going to keep playing and see if I can trick it into liking it.
    I still need to add some fillets and clean it up but heres a rough sketch.
    [​IMG]

28. aonemarine

aonemarine
    from Delaware

Would this work??
    [​IMG]

kiwijeff likes this.
  29. aonemarine

aonemarine
    from Delaware

Just playing around with it, had to stop print short due to a conflict in scaling with the chevrolet, going to re adjust and try again.....
    [​IMG]

30. motion corvette

motion corvette
    from CT

Sure is very close! PM sent.