Register now to get rid of these ads!

Slot car picture thread

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by Tony Ray, Dec 1, 2013.

1. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

Mr Gasser in a BRM and Rat Fink in a Lotus F1 car.
    Spare parts engineering at it's finest.

Finally a scientific psychological explanation for why my tastes are so "diverse" today.

2. Rok55

Rok55
    from Cheyenne

Great topic! Got my first Eldon track for Christmas in '65 at age 10 and picked up a couple more over a few years. At 14-15 I convinced the local-powers-that-be to allow me and a friend to open a track in an unused room at the local community center. Had a great time renting track time out to other kids (and a few adults) and spreading the joy of slot car racing.

In the '90s got heavy into 1/10 and 1/12 scale electric RC car racing, both indoor carpet racing and dirt track. Had a great time with my kids and made some good friends along the way. Still have a bunch of that stuff collecting dust in boxes out in the garage. Guess I should let that stuff go and just hang on to the memories.

3. Iron Dog

Iron Dog
    from Minnesota

Love slot cars, even have a snowmobile. Here's an early American Flyer set. Pretty cool.

Attached Files:

4. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

Thats the other set my dad has! still in the box..left that one there and took the drag strip home

5. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool memories..

My dad built me one of those fold down tracks when i was like 9-10 y.o...
    It had a killer track with overpasses, speedway curves & lights.
    I think it was Rewell...?

Anywho the two cars I remember was a Silver 63 Corvette and a Red Ferrari GTO.

6. had this in my basement.
    [​IMG]

Had to disassemble (reason for blue tape) but should be going back together soon

7. Can't think of a better hobby as a kid

[​IMG]

Deuces likes this.
  8. Nice layout, must clone;)

9. '51 Norm

'51 Norm
    from colorado

I discovered that a little sewing machine oil on the outside of the curve would pretty much let me beat my brother every time:D

10. cruzingratiot

cruzingratiot
    from Detroit MI

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  11. captain scarlet

captain scarlet
    from Detroit

Here's some if mine ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1386029292.877105.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1386029386.796526.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1386029446.209898.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1386029553.568269.jpg

Singlefingerspeedshop.com. Detroit

Deuces likes this.
  12. PBRme,
    What set/sets did you start with here? Or was this all scratch built?

13. Deuces likes this.
  14. I've still got my Aurora HO Thunderjet stuff from the late 1960's. I recently set up a 4-lane track that's 33 ft. length per lane on a folding leg frame so it can be stored when not in use. The other pic is a Hallmark ornament on the Christmas tree in the garage that pays homage to my love of slot cars!

Jim

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  15. RAF

RAF
    from MA.

Had some of my old HO cars from the 60's and decided to build a track. Tried to keep it "old school" and use old Aurora and Atlas buildings,etc.

Attached Files:

Rolleiflex and Deuces like this.
  16. WOW:D. That's impressive

Deuces likes this.
  17. I sure had a lot of fun with them

Deuces likes this.
  18. joseph.peter.carter@us.ar

[email protected]
    from USA

They had a large track set up Servicemen's Club at Pease AFB in New Hampshire. I remember that you would build your chassis, set your motor, obtain a clear plastic body and painted it from the inside, where it would look like a professional job. Most of the kids had some sort of sport cars, but I had some old coupe body. The best part it keep me off the streets and out of trouble.

Deuces likes this.
  19. cruzingratiot

cruzingratiot
    from Detroit MI

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  20. about half of it is from when i was a kid, other quarter is new, last quarter is swap meet finds. Gota bug up my ass a few years ago and did it, dug out all my old cars, built a 4'x8' sheet that folds down off the wall for easy storage.
    I really gotta set this back up

21. D type

D type
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

some of those old sets were great fun if you have the time check out this site http://www.oldslotracer.com/ (links to tracks around the world ) HAVE FUN --------

Deuces likes this.
  22. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

My brothers and I got a big 4 lane set in 1968. As I recall it was a revell I got the vette because I was the oldest.
    We had a big pro track at the intersection of Beach and Ball, I think Buena Park Ca.
    Hobby town. Everything you could want. From trains and slot cars to flintlock and dolls. It was a great place. I built the 1/24 old time hearse hot rod and fitted it to my slot car frame. It was cool as all get out, then it got away from me and put a bunch of pieces all over the track. It looked like it exploded.
    I wasn't happy, but it was hilarious.

Deuces likes this.
  23. There's still some sort of Hobby Town there or near there with Prestige Hobbies one of the bigger places there........co owned by Tom The Mongoose Mcewen

Deuces likes this.
  24. crashfarmer

crashfarmer
    from Iowa

Now that is AWESOME!

25. hdman6465

hdman6465
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

26. hotrodarchaeologist

hotrodarchaeologist
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Maine

My current slot car project...60's HO Aurora stuff...

[​IMG]

27. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

This was the other set i got from the attic, need to clean up the track some so the connection is better..they just kinda spin outback and forth until they move alittle forward.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

uncleandy 65 likes this.
  28. OK,
    Looks like I'm starting off on another tangent! Who said ADD couldn't be fun!?!
    I have a 12'6"X26" sunroom on the back of my house that when my wife was alive was dedicated to an enormous hot tub that is so big I'm going to have to cut it up with the sawzall to get it out.
    This thread has given me the theme for the upcoming remodel of the sunroom.
    I dug out a box from the garage this morning that has been out there for probably 30 years.
    It's an old TYCO set that looks like it's just too decrepit to revive, but now the juices are flowing!
    I ran 1/24 slots when I was in high school in the mid 60's, but this time I think H/O is going to be the best scale. Think of it! 25' of straightaway!
    Seriously, I'd like to run 1/32, but there is much more available in H/O, and I can have an enormous track in the same space. I plan to build a four lane, and may even build and rout a wooden track.
    It's Christmas time! Time to hit the toy stores and see what I can buy.
    Opinions on brands? Going to build the sunroom into a mancave/slotcar track.....

29. TONS of good deals on larger than store bought sets on the internet