Register now to get rid of these ads!

Coil overs right placement?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CHOPTOP_T, Dec 1, 2013.

1. CHOPTOP_T

CHOPTOP_T
    from place

Everything seems good w/ them mounted everythjng is just tacked in place. just wanna hear some opinions thanks

Attached Files:

2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I's put them as far apart as the frame rails allow. Angle is good, though.

3. gecko54

gecko54
    from Sumner, WA

Just curious, why so close together. Wider apart wold be more stable and would have less leverage from the axle.......might ride better. My opinion......

4. trollst

trollst

Too narrow, will give better performance if placed far as possible toward wheels.

5. CHOPTOP_T

CHOPTOP_T
    from place

The ideal spot to mount them is right where the bracket for my lower links are from the axle i was going to mount in front of the bracket but it wouldve been too hard to get the nut in to the lower shock bolt. I can move em just trying to figure it out.

6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Put them outboard of the lower link mounts.

7. CHOPTOP_T

CHOPTOP_T
    from place

Thanks for the tip will do

8. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Move the top mounting points out accordingly.

9. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Mine used to be like that. Too much body roll. You could push either side down easily but barely move it from the center. Rode like crap.

10. 333tinman

333tinman
    from MASS.

when i put coil overs in i try to get around 17 degs. laid in at the top. i also tip them forward a few degs. because your rear end should travel in an arc if they lay back they cause a bind on the lower mount and bolt. i've seen many bent brackets and bolts over the years. hope this helps.

11. CHOPTOP_T

CHOPTOP_T
    from place

I did 20 degs cause thats what speedway showed on how to mount so i just went with what they had shown

12. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Ya,thing about having them so far inboard is that ya get a lot of body roll from that sring placemint,plus the shocks don't work well there ether=that is the same thing that happens on front ends when shocks are to close to center or far back on the bones=they just don't do much tell they are out fairly close to the wheels.

13. I agree, get them out as close to the ends of the housing as possible without creating a steep angle to the frame mount.

Attached Files:

14. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is my standard, as well.

15. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

The angle depends on the spring rate. The more angle they have, the softer the feel is. The more straight up they are mounted the firmer they will feel. They always look better angled a little, but I like to build an upper mount with multiple holes so the angle can be changed if they need to be adjusted for ride feel, or height.

16. CHOPTOP_T

CHOPTOP_T
    from place

Well tomorrow night its gonna get switched over so ill post pics of the turn out

17. CHOPTOP_T

CHOPTOP_T
    from place

How does this look? I think it came out good

Attached Files:

18. badshifter

badshifter

Way too much angle. The 20 degrees that you are shooting for is at ride height. Right now with no compression it looks like you are past 20 degrees. As you compress the spring you'll be well past where you are now and will lose spring rate and dampening.
    Your best bet is to remove the spring, and mock up at ride height, or don't use the shock at all. Measure the eye to eye distance you want, drill some holes in square tubing, and use that to set-up your mounts.

19. CHOPTOP_T

CHOPTOP_T
    from place

If i mounted them to the inside bar that they are mounted to at 20 degrees they would be hitting the bottom of the frame. Only thing that i could figure out is mount them to the side outside of the frame between the tire and frame which i dont want to do. So whats to say i ride with them like this? And some of the above pics posted look like 15 degrees and one guy said he shoots for 17 degrees. another hamber said the more straight up and down the more stiff and more angle the softer.

20. CHOPTOP_T

CHOPTOP_T
    from place

I have them at 25 degree the spring are rated 225 lbs

21. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Why not just check out similar builds? Stop drilling holes and do some more research.

22. badshifter

badshifter

Ok, you need to slow down a sec and get the right order of things.
    1 determine ride height
    2 mock up axle at ride height
    3 determine what the length the shock will be at ride height lets say 14 inches
    4 determine what angle you want the shock at ride height
    5 using that information you locate the shock upper and lower brackets

That's simplified of course but there is an order to it.

You want the shock outboard as mentioned as far as practical to minimize body roll. In your case, you mounted the lower brackets too far outboard, giving you too much shock angle, and no thought or consideration to ride height or shock angle/travel. Your spring, is rated at 225 pounds, vertically. At a 45 degree angle it's rate is half that. At the angle you have you are in the 170 pound range. The more you compress it, the more the angle, the weaker the spring acts.
    It's not hard, you just need to map it out before you weld and drill.

I'll post a pic of a coil over setup I just did on an OT 30 model A pickup a few weeks ago. 225 pound springs, 15 degrees at ride height, 2.5 inches down travel, 1.5 up, and rides super smooth. More important, the ride height is where it was planned to be, and everything works as it should.
    Good luck.

Attached Files:

23. CHOPTOP_T

CHOPTOP_T
    from place

Im not just drillin holes were using tape measures angle finders and all that and looking at similar builds gives you somewhat helps but every build is different..

24. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

What I meant was, STOP and put some more thought into what you want. Find a way to mock things up, without so much welding, cutting and drilling. There are some great builds on here. Search them out and look at how they did it. All builds are different, but everything has a basic formula.

You may need to get shorter shocks, after you fix the mounting point.

25. CHOPTOP_T

CHOPTOP_T
    from place

Alright i appreciate it. Well one of the other guys said mount the bottom mount out board of the lower link mount. Reason why is because it will be to miuch of a pain in the ass to get the nut on to the shock stud because of the lower link bracket

26. CHOPTOP_T

CHOPTOP_T
    from place

Its all good thanks i hope these shocks work they werent cheap and its prolly too late to exchange em thru speedway

27. CHOPTOP_T

CHOPTOP_T
    from place

This is something im doing with little to no help. Its Something ive wanted to do for a long time. I dont get much advice. i do read alot of whats on hear searching the forum and different sites and rod mags.

28. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Maybe not. You can use some tube stock, cut at different lengths, to mock your shocks. That way, you have a better idea what length you need, for the ride height you want.

29. badshifter

badshifter

Move the lower link bracket outboard. It looks like you have room to move it outboard an inch or more. Move the lower shock bracket inboard to get your desired angle, clearance etc.

30. CHOPTOP_T

CHOPTOP_T
    from place

The lower link is parallel to the other link mount which is mounted under the frame. If i move the one on the axle i will have to move the one from under the frame right?