Register now to get rid of these ads!

do you enjoy working in the garage on cars as much as driving? a poll.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The Bomber, Dec 1, 2013.

1. The Bomber

The Bomber
    from mass.

I've heard guys say they would rather work on them in their garage than drive them and vice versa. Maybe a health is a factor? Maybe some just get tired of getting under these, or has driving worn off? Let's hear from you guys.

2. metal man

metal man

When I was 9 years old, I was trying to help my dad out in the garage when he was building a bigger,better flathead for his coupe. We were having a good time as usual. I asked him which was more fun,driving a hot rod,or building one?

He paused for just a few seconds and said "Well, I've never been driving one and thought, I wish I was at home working on this car".

3. Fedman

Fedman

I am really torn on this,

I love being in the Shop working on stuff, but Driving the old stuff is still really fun!

We are very lucky when we can still do both. :D

4. In the winter months I enjoy being in the garage!:cool: When the weather is nice driving is also nice.:cool: It's a good balance. :DJust when I have had enough cold, I start looking forward to good driving weather. Having a good place to drive to is also necessary!:rolleyes: I need to go back in the garage now!:eek:

5. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I enjoy being in the garage a lot more than driving...

6. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think I actually enjoy working on them just as much or more than driving them. Unless, of course, I answer the question while I'm driving one of them..........

7. flamed34

flamed34

I enjoy the build. Once they're done I pretty much lose interest as soon as I find a "fatal flaw" - there's always something in retrospect that I wish I had done differently and it becomes a spoiler for the whole finished car. In reality, it's my OCD.

8. metal man

metal man

One thing for certain, I spend more time working on them than driving them. I don't even wait to finish one before starting to build another. I enjoy building very much, but driving a hot rod rules.:cool:

9. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

I just like working on em... Driving them is OK but no big deal....

10. thehazguy

thehazguy

After the fruits of my labor I like to drive and race them

11. bustedwrench

bustedwrench

I enjoy a good Sunday drive a lot, but I think I'd rather be in the garage building or repairing something if I had to choose one or the other.

12. 54pathfinder

54pathfinder
    from canada

Winter forced me to park my 54 so I spent all Saturday replacing a plastic and aluminum radiator in a 1993 topaz. I really loathe that car. So even I'm once again pulling the three speed out of the Pontiac and getting hurt exactly the same way in the same spots, it's going to be more fulfilling than fixing a ford tupperware

Hood Birds c.c.

13. I can't imagine one without the other! I build them to drive, then repair, change, update, so I can drive them more. Winter in Wisconsin is garage time, summer is "hurry up and drive it" time.

14. 3quarter32

3quarter32

I think it is about 40% build and 60% drive for me. I drive my cars every time I get a excuse to drive them, which is at least 4 times a week. Been getting my favorite ready for paint for the last 10 days, and its killing me.

15. 46stude

46stude

I'm a half-assed decent mechanic, but don't enjoy working on them all that much. I don't despise it, but for me I'd much rather be behind the wheel, cruisin' to where ever.

16. The37Kid

The37Kid

I just never got into the driving thing, they're artwork, I like looking at them and working on them. Bob

17. trollst

trollst

For me, I spend no time building when the weather is good enough to drive, but all my time building in the winter.

18. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

I miss driving old cars regularly, they don't have to be super fast or powerful for that, just a decent runner. I spend part of every weekend out in my garage tinkering, because I enjoy it. Figuring it out, engineering the next part of it, learning something new, or teaching my son. There's no view better of a car than through the windshield. headed somewhere, or nowhere.

If it had to come down to it, I guess you could call me more of the builder type but the payoff for that is seat time.

Devin

19. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

I'd rather drive, but I end up working on them more.

Work and family obligation and whatnot keep my away from my car (I still work on other people's on the side) and suddenly I haven't driven the car for a couple of months--then I think I really ought to just sell it, pay off some bills and spend the next decade or so finishing my current "project"--then I drive it and remember why I do this to begin with--nothing like driving a hot rod!

20. BRENT

BRENT

sums it up for me! I'm in the same boat about building in the winter and driving during the spring and summer.

Brent

21. AlbuqF-1

AlbuqF-1
    from NM

I'm too old to get much satisfaction out of just driving around. If I have a real destination, I get into the driving. Mostly I prefer working on them.

22. fsae0607

fsae0607

I would say I like to work on them more. Gives me reason to use all the tools I've spent all my money on! :D

23. bigjsp

bigjsp

90% build, 10% show / drive.

Pretty tough competition at the few shows I attend so winning is pretty sweet ..... but I always drive the vehicles to local shows or from the hotel for shows > 2 hours away because the family is too big for a 2 seat open roadster....... besides bad weather, 65 mph and I don't get along anymore.

24. A.D.D.

A.D.D.
    from PacNW

50/50....

I LOVE working on them. Whether it's searching for parts at the swap meet/ Craigslist/Ebay/buddies place, surfing the web for ideas (I build file folders like "Stance", "Color", "Grilles", etc.), Screwing around with photo shop, or wrenching and fabricating out in the garage. It's a lot of fun!

When they are "DONE".... I drive 'em. Which means I get to talk to people when I park, get gas, go to a show or cruise and BS about cars. DRIVING THEM--- usually requires working on them to keep 'em running/ work out bugs.

THEN..............
    I sell 'em.

ALWAYS throw a price on 'em and run through my mind cars hidden away I know about, surf the classifieds and crane my neck when I see the smallest glimmer of chrome hidden away in someone's yard or garage.....and sure enough........... I drag another one home.

When I am working on them out in the garage with some tunes going... I am happy.

When I am driving them with some tunes going... I am happy.

It's an endless cycle.................................................:D

25. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

26. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Depends where I'm going, in both instances.

27. colinsmithson

colinsmithson

I think I am about 60/40 prefere the build love driving when finished but I normally thinking how I can do better

28. 41GASSER

41GASSER

I actually enjoy the challenge of fabricating a new part, finding the rare gem at a swap meet and finally putting it all together more that driving em. But thats why some of my friends actually get pissed off at me for taking so damn long on projects.

Dave

29. Im 50/50. Thats why i have a hot rod as a daily driver, and two projects in the shed. I love driving the hot rod most days, and i can work on the projects in my free time :)

30. Grumbler

Grumbler

50-50 as in, work on it between fall and spring for six months and then drive the living hell out of it daily for the other six.
    But if I do end up working on it in the garage during the driving season then I'm usually in no shape to drive afterwards.................[​IMG]