Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 59a flathead problem

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by johnale, Nov 30, 2013.

1. johnale

johnale
    from Melbourne

Hey guys,

I've recently got my 40 ford on the road, but now I've got problems with my flathead, I'm running a completely stock 59a flathead which has a rebuilt carby and been converted to 12 volt.

Problem I have is when I'm driving, hen I get the revs up as I'm driving, the engine has a miss which results in poor acceleration, I have changed out the plugs, checked all connections and replaced the condensor, I'm changing out the fuel filter also,

what else could it be?

Any advice would be great as I'm trying to get it ready for a show

Cheers
    John

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. woodypecker

woodypecker

The distributor runs off of a venturi signal from the carburator. If you have an aftermarket carb or signals are not matched it could be your problem.

3. johnale

johnale
    from Melbourne

I've got a stock carb on it and running a ballast resistor, but I had some issues during the 12 vlt conversion, so I'm trying a different coil!

4. I see you have converted to 12 volt, are you running a 12 volt generator or an alternator? If you're running an alternator you should bypass the factory amp gauge in your '40 , it won't like any more than 30 amps and an alternator will be putting out more than 30...

5. R Pope

R Pope

Weak or broken valve spring?

6. fenderless

fenderless
    from Norway

Check your voltage as you rev it up. Might overcharge, same result as driving without a ballast.

K

Taildragger&fenderless

7. johnale

johnale
    from Melbourne

Problem solved, turns out I had a bad msd coil, even though its only two months old!!!