Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1964 Ford Fairlane Sports Coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by F-ONE, Apr 12, 2013.

1. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

I'm going to start on my 64. This is going to be a simple repair as I bring her back after 33years of mothballs.
    I hope it's HAMB friendly, its just going to be an honest early mid 60s Ford with that era parts.
    No air bags, no "Bolt" hood, no disk brakes, no AOD, no straight axle, no big block or 5.0, no V6, no Crites and no sawzall just a honest to gosh early-mid 60s Fairlane.
    She's pretty much intact, I want to keep it that way.
    First step is to unlock the wheels.
    More to come.

2. One of my favorites. I like what you're "not" going to do with the car. Will be following your progress.

3. Scrambler1

Scrambler1

My fave too...any pics? Love that bodystyle...had two of them back in the 70's. Miss them.Kev.

4. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Always loved the '64s. The simpler, the better!

5. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

I cleaned up the shop around the the Fairlane today. Soon I'll be ready to get to work.
    I pecked around on the left front fender and removed a good deal of bondo. This car was orinally rangoon red with a white vinyl top. The top is long gone as it was repainted sometime in the late 70s. The paint job/repair was shitty, sorry but no other word seems to fit.

In 77 or so somebody backed into it in a grocery store parking lot. The rear quarter was replaced and that's when I assume it was painted. I noticed a strange thing with the roof stainless trim off. The quarter is held on by pop rivetts, lots of them. If the window trim was not off the car, I would not have noticed it. The panel is on straight and the doorjamb, lines and stainless trim match perfect.
    There's no telling what's hiding under that crappy paint. It looks like it was applied with a brush, it wasn't, but that's how poor of a spray job it was.

All the rubber actually looks good. The interior is like a time capsule, not the Tulsa kind. The only problem, nicotine stains. It's really amazing that the seats are not full of burnholes but there are none.
    There's a whole lot more important stuff ahead besides body and interior work. I'll post some pics very soon. Maybe some of you might like to see one fresh from 1980. In a way it's like a 16 year old car.

6. derbydad276

derbydad276

hmmm early to mid 60's build????

I would build a copy of the car my buddy's older brother had when we thought putting 68 Detroit tiger baseball cards in the spokes of our banana seat bikes was cool with a .030 over 289 with 11 to 1 pistons but cheat a little bit by using a
    hydraulic version of the Shelby cam instead of the pain in the ass solid version install dual springs & add a little mild port work on the heads ,sneak in a set of roller tip rocker arms toss a pertronics kit into a old mechanical advance dual point distributor find a edelbrock F4b intake with a vacuum secondary 750 Holley couple it to a Lakewood bell housing with a super T10 4 speed
    dig up a set of 14 inch of the chrome smoothies with out the baby moon caps like the comets used
    and to get the right 60's stance dig up a set of extended shackles for the rear springs with some cal tracks
    and no 60's build would be complete without a gigantic craig 8 track player under the dash

7. My pal Greg's Fairlane. HRP

[​IMG]

8. costabkz

costabkz
    from london

This car was orinally rangoon red with a white vinyl top.[​IMG]

9. 64Nostalgia

64Nostalgia

I hope to see your car progress. My patina'd, barn-find, Rangoon red '64 Fairlane started out a similar project, but as the car is progressing, the engineer in me just wants to make it drive and handle better and better. In many cases this requires succumbing to modern bolt-ons. So far, I've managed to keep it looking old school on the outside, but 12" disc brakes up front will likely be the beginning of the end to my best intentions .

[​IMG]

10. Nice cars. One of my car club friends special ordered a 64 Fairlane Sport Coupe, it had bucket seats and a Hi Perf. 289 4 speed, it was dark green with a beige interior.

11. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

OUCH MAN! I think you hurt my feelings a little bit.:p Kidding!

12. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

Nothing better than a sports coupe... mine is a 63 4 speed I bought back in '91 out of CA. Still has the original paint.....

Attached Files: