Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1964 Rambler American gasser or lower???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by American Hellbilly, Nov 27, 2013.

1. American Hellbilly

American Hellbilly
    from Seymour,IN

I have a 1964 Rambler American 440H 2 door hardtop. I have been thinking about which direction to go with it. I was thinking about lowering it a few inches all around. But a friend told me he had a complete straight axle front end kit that he would give me. the car will be mainly for the streets, maybe hitting the track a couple times just to mess around.

2. 1955IHC

1955IHC

By no means am I knocking your car! I love all old cars period.! I think your car would benefit from either. Neither way would br traditional. But my truck really is either. I guess personally I'd take advantage of your buddy's parts and go the "gasser" or more appropriately classified "street freak" route. But ultimately do you really love the car. Not busting your balls but I've gone overboard before when I should have just made a simple cruiser before.

Sent via Illinois Bell Telephone Company's Car Radiotelephone

3. cmyhtrod

cmyhtrod
    from ct

When I lived in San Diego back in the late 70's I knew a guy who had the same car. His was chopped, had a tunnel ram 327 with a 4 sp and I believe an AMX rear with 4.10s. His car was painted VW green with some yellow pearl. We had a ton of fun cruising in that car....

If I ever find a nice 64 Rambler hardtop, that's what I would do with it.

4. Tuck's hardtop ran a stock 196 with an automatic..looked faster than it was.

Attached Files:

5. toucan

toucan
    from sc

lower it and cruise it!

6. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

Maybe a little lower but level at all four corners. Give it some ladder bars in back and new springs all around but keep it level. Look at car crafts project rambler and build a mild amc v8 and make it look like someone raced it on a stock class fresh off the showroom floor. That way of you decide to sell it a restorer or a drag guy would have a solid starting point for the future. It's not a super desirable car really so keep it simple and relatively stock if you are just looking for something to beat around town in.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. 327Eric

327Eric

I love gassers and street freaks, but in this case, lower it and go.

8. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I would lower it...

9. slammed

slammed

3/2 drop. Make the lines of the car the focal point. Detailing the engine compartment w/period parts that match up. The wheel/tire combo is critical. Subtle changes that enhance what is there.

10. Somebody

Somebody

60's Kustom all the way. Gassers are kool but have reached fad status I'm afraid. Avoid trends, Kustom is forever. (And timeless if done correctly.)

Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
  11. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Whatever you do, please put a little thought into it. People seem to be throwing things together these days just to be in the "scene".

12. American Hellbilly

American Hellbilly
    from Seymour,IN

I find myself really loving the stance of the car craft rambler. I love Ramblers because hate on them so much. I have an AMC 360 in it right now.

13. Low and slow. HRP

14. bobadame

bobadame

If the drive train is ok, I'd leave it stock and spend the time, energy and money on something more interesting.

15. American Hellbilly

American Hellbilly
    from Seymour,IN

So here is what I have so far.
    [​IMG]</a>[/IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  16. cmyhtrod

cmyhtrod
    from ct

If I had that, I'd chop it a few inches.

17. American Hellbilly

American Hellbilly
    from Seymour,IN

It has Gabriel air shocks on the back and new monroe front shocks. I plan having new front coil springs made 3 inches lower than stock ride height. I may end up bagging the rear.

18. slammed

slammed

[​IMG] These styled wheels. The black steelies on your screaming yellow are drab. Lower your car 3" in the front. 2" in the rear. Are the slapper bars needed? Otherwise loose them or paint them black to disappear. I used this car in the pix as an quick example (same boxy mid sized body) a stock metallic color would enhance the shape and ear specific you are looking to achieve.

19. We had an identical '64 Rambler when I was growing up. Same color, same caps. Slow as hell, but it was as dependable as an anvil. That car always ran, regardless of the weather.

Gasser or cruiser, can't go wrong either way. But, I really like the advice given by landseaandair. Build it right. Don't be a Scenester with a dangerous POS. [​IMG]

20. American Hellbilly

American Hellbilly
    from Seymour,IN

The drivetrain is far from stock. Its an AMC 360 bored .040 over, Edelbrock performer cam, carb, and intake. It also has a 4.11 Richmond locker in a narrowed 9 inch rearend.

21. johnybsic

johnybsic
    from las vegas

Thats a nice car. Personally i'd leave the altitude alone and put a big nasty, nervous engine in it.

Carcrafts blue rambler it a bad ass car for sureeeee. I'd love one with that racy style.

But it wouldn't hurt for a little more low, if you want it.

22. johnybsic

johnybsic
    from las vegas

Dude thats a real nice lil car. Needs slicks...and a pine tree air fresh'ner other than that i dont know hahaha.

23. Leviman

Leviman

Lower! The gasser thing is quickly becoming a trend, and rather obnoxiously so I might add.

24. mopar210

mopar210

Just my opinion , but I say straight axle ! Regardless of some opinions , I have had more fun with this rambler than any car I have built to date. I don't really give a damn what is popular or flavor of the day , I build em to drive and drive hard . I don't do low and slow , I do go to a few shows and some cruise ins , but my fun comes from the build and the joy of finishing what I start -then run the crap out it . And contrary to popular belief , the straight axle really drives and handles very well , and the harder I stuff the big pedal the straighter it goes ! My next build may also be called "flavor of the day" or whatever , but I build what I like and what I think looks cool ,and more importantly runs Like a scalded dog . I guess what I'm saying is ,do what you will get the most enjoyment from.

Attached Files:

25. Chuck R

Chuck R

Here is a different direction, I pulled this off the internet. Sort of a trans am racer feel. I think it looks pretty cool.
    Chuck

[​IMG]

26. mopar210 that is Bad ass !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

27. Don't tell me how great it handles, been there!!!!!!
    And don't get springs 3" shorter than stock, they will drop the front end 5"!!! It is a leverage thing, your spring isn't out at the tire, it is about half way between the tire and the suspension pivot.

28. Pulled this off the 'net. always an option.

Attached Files:

29. cmyhtrod

cmyhtrod
    from ct

Talk about a car that screams LOOK AT ME!

30. Chuck R

Chuck R

[​IMG]
    When these were new I used to see them at the strip. they were factory muscle cars to compete with ford and chevy. A neat piece of history. Good find Steve!