Register now to get rid of these ads!

Y-Blk Dual Exhaust Using Stock Cross-over Manifolds

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SAM123, Jun 5, 2013.

1. I like the "under the hood" look and wonder if it is something I want to do to my '60 F-100 with a 292.

What am I getting into? .. does the engine breathe ok? .. any problems associated with the modification like clearing the steering box, etc? ... is there a HP increase?

I downloaded these pics from a f-100 site. Click to enlarge.

Attached Files:

2. I like the look of that better than one exiting off the front and one off the rear like most people do when doing duals this way on a Y Block. So did they just cap the rear dump on the passenger side?

Where did you see this posted originally?

3. Yes, the right side is blocked off .... I am not sure if it is just a plate or what. The site was a facebook site for 57-60 f-100s I believe.

I never did care for the looks of the crossover pipe on the stock setup and aftermarket rams horns are darn pricey.

4. find some 56 ford car manifolds, the right ones are big and exit rear

5. I had a '56 with stock cross over pipe and one with a modified stock into duals exhaust. I honestly didn't notice a lot of power difference. I'm sure it does help some, but not a much as a set of headers or something. Sound is probably the biggest perk. There was no issue with clearances or anything either on my truck.

I just had a plate on mine.

Oh I agree. There are several "better" options. The mod pictured is the most economical.

6. ParkinsonSpeed

ParkinsonSpeed

This would be fun to do on a hoodless roadster until i can get some headers made.

7. Vendome

Vendome

Passenger car manifolds do not fit on trucks. My opinion would be to save up for a set of ram horn manifolds. Look better and flow better.

8. As far as one looking better than the other, I would think that would be a personal choice but the flow situation, or lack of is one of the questions I would like to find the answer to. It seems the left manifold would have no change ... the exhaust is going the direction it was intended but the right side is a different situation . The exhaust flow direction in that it is exiting out of a flange the was designed to be the entry point of the crossover gases .... seems there would all kinds of turbulence going on in the exhaust runner on that side.

9. Yeah, I think it would be a eyecatcher ... sorta like running top dump OT caprice manifolds on a hoodless sbc .... always gets that second look.

10. You are correct, the steering box gets in the way. But you can swap sides and dump at the front.

Almost anything is better than the cross-over pipe. I've seen a lot that dump one at the rear (pass) and curve the one down out the front but this is the first time I've seen this set up. I like it! Different look. I doubt it flows real well but it's better than what it replaces. ;)

11. Here's a shot of Passenger car manifold that have been swapped and dump at the front.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. mustangmike6996

mustangmike6996
    from the D

thats something a little different there.

13. Thanks for the input McTim. This brings to mind an important point. Since I plan on going with a 2-inch drop axle then I need to have all that in and ride height established before the exhaust is fabbed. The flipped car duals look like they are darn tight to the axle.

14. To the top ... I need more input.

15. Its been awhile but I have the f-100 sitting at the stance I want .... exhaust is next.

I'm still open for comment on the setup I plan on going with ... additionly, I plan on running straight pipes all the way to the rear ... noisy or not? I don't plan on listening to music! LOL

Attached Files:

• 050.jpg
      050.jpg
      File size:
      35.6 KB
      Views:
  16. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

F600 tilt cab manifolds bolt right on and look a lot better, also known as "rams horn" manifolds with a center exit. They wont work on cars but will on pickups, I had a set on my 63 f100

17. Yes, that would be an option for dual exhaust ... but I pass. I am after the look of Gabriel's horns when I lift the hood ... I'm after that double glance!
    Thanks for the comments but concern with flow was answered, "Better than what you're replacing it with." , provided by a y-block guru... so I am going with it. I am now after input from someone that has done/seen it .... heat transfer?, tone?, HP increase (if any)? clearance issues?, etc.

18. Seems once they are modified and bolted to the y-block they would then become "y-block headers" lol .... or are you talking about exhaust manifolds?

19. luke13

luke13

i once had my sbc lovin mates convinced that they were ford factory turbo manifolds, when i had my 272 on the engine stand, ha har suckers.

20. Ole don

Ole don

The exhaust outlets on SBC is so close to a Y block you can saw between the two center ports on SBC headers, us a dab of heat down at the collector, and fit them on the Y block. I think the truck would look good with fender well headers made for a tri five.

21. Which is my point, skidmarks and ole Don. A header is a header depending on application, and once it is modified it is still a header but for a different application .... am a missing something in regards to the SBC headers?

Red's Headers makes them (Headers, wheel-well included!) for y-blocks ... pretty common and seen on a lot of y-blocks! Its the uniqueness of the Gabe's horns is why I am hoping to go that way.

22. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just about everything would be a step-up from stock, even "split".

I like the Iron Y-Block ram's horns. They flow pretty well, and don't look out-of-place.

I put them on my blacksmith's truck. They made a noticeable improvement in power and sound.

23. If I had a truck, I'd find a pair of Rams Horn manifolds.

24. ^^^^ I cant say this enough! LOL ^^^

I've got rams horns on my sedan delivery, Ive got headers for my Chevelle ... Ive made up my mind what I want on the F-100 and am after input from those that have done/see it.

25. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

26. GEEZZZ, 123, just do it, then everybody else can ask you how it works.

27. Yeah I think that is what it has come down to! LOL

28. junior58

junior58

Just go for it SAM! It seems that some don't read too well and keep offering alternatives, when you have stated often enough that it's what you want to do and are only asking if anyone has any info on it. Let us know how it goes.

29. UNCLECHET

UNCLECHET

Yep, do it, I think it looks cool! And I'm pretty sure the exhaust gas doesn't know which way the car (truck) is going and doesn't even care. As long as the tips aren't pointing into the wind that is. Neat truck.