Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Bruce builds another A

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vtwhead, Nov 18, 2013.

1. Some of you may remember my thread on the awful 31 coupe that Bruce salvaged and made into a beautiful traditional roadster. He had whipped that one out in about 9 months. Well last summer we went out to western NY and picked up this 31 two door sedan and brought it back home. Last month he blasted the entire body and it came out in much better shape than the previous coupe for sure. So he is at again and is thinking of building this one with a '60 283 with trips and a 39 box with a 48 rear and most likely a quick change, all on a set of A rails.
    For those that may not have seen the other thread on the roadster, Bruce is a senior in his 70's and has been building race cars, midgets, and street rods most of his life. He does this the old school way like it was back in the day. On average he turns out a car a year. The man has a great work ethic!
    Now if you recall, the last thread was done by me as Bruce is not computor savvy. So I go up and take some pics and try to keep up with the updates as I can. So follow along if you will and we will see how this one turns out.

Last week he pulled the body in and set it up on the dolly, braced the heck out of it and chopped four inches out of the top, then chopped the floor out and lowered it down over the rails. Lots of cutting and welding. Hardly done but you get the idea where he is going. Here are the first shots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2013
    volvobrynk likes this.
  2. Went up to the shop just before the holiday to see how things were progressing. Bruce has kicked the frame 4 inches and boxed the rest of the frame, made a straight crossmember for the rear and fabbed up some sub rails.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Guess he decided to try using a set of coil over springs on the sedan instead of the traditional buggy spring this time around. He turned out two bushings that he will weld into the crossmember to support this.

[​IMG]

He has the '48 rear on the floor for measurements that is going to be used with the '39 box. He is going to maintain the trailing arms as they were originally.

[​IMG]

volvobrynk likes this.
  3. After some thought he decided to find a donor roof to fill in the big hole in the sedan. After searching a yard for the right profile he found a Chrysler van that looked to be right one so I picked it up the other day and dropped it off for him at the shop. He is going to trim all the unneeded metal and crap off of it and hopefully end up with just the right size panel he will need for the insert.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2013
    volvobrynk likes this.
  4. Looking great so far. Like you said, you really have to admire your friends' work ethic.

5. HotRod33

HotRod33

Looks like it is going to be a cool car.

6. Swung by the shop yesterday to pick up a A rear crossmember for my build and took a couple of pics. Looks like Bruce has removed the center section from the roof panel I dropped off the other day and has it setting on top of the sedan. Lots of trimming and fitting required here but it looks like the profile fits the sedan.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He has mocked up the front end with the dropped axle and bones. Has a couple of fabbed up mounts made for the rear so I believe next week he will be setting up the drive train.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

volvobrynk likes this.
  7. pumpman

pumpman

This is going to be interesting to watch. I dig the donor roof thing, use and re-use.

8. Sounds like a man with a plan. Subscribed

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. 60 Belair

60 Belair

Looking good!

10. Wildbill29tudor

Wildbill29tudor

Definitely watching this one

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

11. Bugguts

Bugguts

Subscribed! Thanks for showing us.

12. Over the weekend Bruce worked on finishing up the rear end and then turned his attention to the engine and tranny. I see he has a mount made for the rear of the tranny and was about to start on mocking up a set of mounts for the engine. He is not going to use side mounts as they will interfere with the cross steering box from a 81 Jeep that I gave to him. He used the same box on the roadster he built and we can not believe how easy it steers. Amazing difference compared to other boxes he has used.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

During his spare time he is trashing on this build. One of many he turns out each year for club members and other clients. This one is powered by a Pinto engine of all things. Ha! Whatever engine he uses (usually a Focus twin cam 4 cyl) these things get around the track quite well. He builds a sheet metal intake and runs two Holley 94's with a special ignition that is triggered from a crank sensor.

[​IMG]

Anyhow, here is a pic of the rear suspended with the coil overs. Not quite finished yet but you get the idea.

[​IMG]

volvobrynk likes this.
  13. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Very inspiring.

14. Swung by the shop yesterday but Bruce was no where to be found which is a bit unusual. So I took a few pics to update the progress of the sedan build. It looks as if he has got the engine and tranny pretty well situated where he feels it should be. He has fabbed up a pair of engine mounts and strengthened the rear tranny mount. The body is now setting on the frame in the position that it will remain in. He has built a few suports to hold the body in position while he modifys the firewall.

[​IMG]

I see that he has filled in the fuel tank hole in the cowl. Guess he has decided to build a custom alum. tank and insert it behind the frame kick. I know he is concerned about the filler neck location. We will have to see what he comes up with there.
    [​IMG]

Took a pic of the interior as it is today. He will be starting to fab up some floors and begin the process of tieing the sub structure together this week I would imagine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lots to do so I will be taking progress shots as he goes. Stay tuned for updates.

volvobrynk likes this.
  15. Stopped up to the shop yesterday to check on the sedan build. Bruce has been working on fabbing up some floor pans and installing the sub frame. He has the kick area covered and most of the floor pans done. He has made one inner rocker to cover the frame in the door opening. Been working on some patch panels as well. Pulled a spare rear out of storage and has used that to mock up the rear location so that he can fit the inner wheel opening panels.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

volvobrynk likes this.
  16. Watchin, good start

17. Swung by the shop yesterday to see what progress was made this week. Seems Bruce decided that he would make a modest change to the windshield of the A! He has fabbed up a new windshield opening and restructured the face to resemble a '32. He made up a small L channel and shrunk it to get around the corners. This will be the channel that the new one piece glass piece will be urethaned to. It appears to represent a bit of work but the change kinda grows on you when you look at it for a bit. He then attached the roof section to get the gist of what it will all look like after a considerable amount of more work welding etc.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He has also worked on the floor and made up a small tunnel.

[​IMG]

volvobrynk likes this.
  18. A fresh update! After taking off several months to build a midget racer for a client Bruce is back on the A sedan. The body is in final primer. Floors and trans tunnel are finished and he has mocked up a steering column. Has the dash laid out for gauges, has modified a truck seat to fit the A, is reshaping the door edges so they do not overlap at the edges and is setting up some Buick drums for the front brakes. Now that he is back on the project I will try to keep the updates coming along.

101_3570.JPG

101_3571.JPG

101_3572.JPG

101_3573.JPG

volvobrynk likes this.
  19. CaliDreamin'

CaliDreamin'

Just realized I see Bruce's blue sedan all over town. I've always thought, that for sure looks like a hamb friendly hot rod right there!! Are you guys around this weekend? I'm off though on dad duty during the day. I'd love to check this thing out and I bet Bruce is a good guy to have a eye out for parts I need. Cool sedan.

"Insert Epic Quote Here"

volvobrynk likes this.
  20. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Good job so far.. Looks like a well equipped shop...

21. update time! Bruce was off the project for a while restoring an Offy Indy race car from the 50's for a client. That being done he is now back on the 31.
    Major change over the months on the engine. Sbc is gone and replaced by a flatty with new heads and twin distributors with a 2x2 setup. Very different set up for sure...
    100_4560.JPG
    100_4561.JPG

He had replaced the rear with a QC and has the body and frame ready for paint. Some parts are being painted this week and the body will get color next week after he gets the frame rolling.
    100_4558.JPG
    Here is the body setting on the dolly waiting it's turn

kidcampbell71 and Kiwi 4d like this.
  22. can't load the pic of the body????? will work on it.

23. Here is the body after many mods. Channeled 4, chopped 4, sealed windshield, Chrysler Town & Country roof insert etc.
    100_4562.JPG

Got the front end painted and working on the frame
    100_4567.JPG

100_4568.JPG

We flipped the frame yesterday so by now it is dry and he will be assembling the running chassis this week. Probably put color on the body late next week. Keep you posted.

volvobrynk likes this.
  24. The frame is a roller now. Pretty much assembled, he is installing the brake lines at the moment. Guess he was not happy with the body as he is block sanding it again to get the final touch.
    100_4577.JPG

100_4576.JPG

volvobrynk and kidcampbell71 like this.
  25. CaliDreamin'

CaliDreamin'

Hey you, this thing done yet?

26. The 'Ol Boy has been busy racing but he has managed to get the body mounted and has been insulating the interior before going on to other things. Here is a recent shot
    100_4603.JPG

100_4602.JPG

bengeltiger and volvobrynk like this.