Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 58 Fairlane info please?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by swooshcmk, Nov 27, 2013.

1. swooshcmk

swooshcmk

Hello all
    I'm a newb here, so please be kind :eek:

I'm picking up a 1958 Fairlane 4 door as my next project car. No engine/trans (was a swapped in 351W and C6 that the guy I'm purchasing the car from pulled out). But the rest is pretty well all complete. In addition to the engine/trans, he wants the 9" rear axle out of it. He's got an 8" that I can get with it (not sure if it's the same width or not) for $150, but I'd really prefer to stick with a 9"

So, I did a search, and the closest I've found so far is a posting here saying the 57 Ford 9" axles were 57-1/4" wheel to wheel. Since the 57 and 58 Fairlanes are essentially the same, I'm assuming they're the same axle width as well. However were "all" 57 ford 9" axles 57-1/4"? Can anyone verify what axle width I should be aiming for with the '58 Fairlane?

The dilema is, I could try the 8" he's got, or for the same $150 I can pick up a local 9" from a 1964 T-bird, which he said is 61" wheel to wheel, OR, I have a 9" from a 68 Ford truck I could cut down. I don't have the truck axle at the farm at the moment, but I assume it also will be ~ 61" wheel to wheel, as well as a big bearing unit I'm sure.

So, what sort of wisdom can a newb beg off you guys? :)

In addition, is there some other good sources with a wealth of information/parts for these old cars? The worst part of the car seems to be the lower core support which is mostly rusted out. I haven't found a source of replacement parts, so it would seem I'm stuck with finding a donor car for one, or fabricating the replacements? (I'm all set on the fabrication front, so it doesn't scare me away, but pre-formed parts are *sometimes* easier to work with). At any rate, I've been able to find snippets of information here and there, but they seem largely forgotten about?

2. Personally, I'd tell the guy that taking the rear axle would be a deal-breaker but that's me...

The '57-59 Ford cars all used the same width rear axle. The Rancheros and wagons used the 'big-bearing' housing, all others the small bearing. The early V-8 Mustangs, Falcons, and Comets used a same-width 8" housing that will bolt in, also small bearing. Most any other Ford axle will need narrowing to fit, although I think some of the later Maverick/Comet/Granada housings will be very close. The truck axles will have a larger bolt pattern on the wheels.

Depending on the planned motor and amount of abuse you plan to heap on it, the 8" may be good enough. If you use a 302 or Y-block, the 8" will live behind those. With a mild 351/auto, the 8" could be bit skimpy, anything bigger definitely so.

3. swooshcmk

swooshcmk

My thoughts are a mildly built 302 or 351W. The 302 because I have one on hand at the moment, but I might still pick up a different engine for it.

The thing is it's a texas car, so the frame/floorboards look in great shape, and it looks to be all original and never repaired yet even. All the trim is there too, so it's a good starting point. Plus the price is quite reasonable. I believe the prior owner purchased it for the engine/trans/axle specifically.

At any rate, for the reasons you've pointed out I'd like to stick to the 9". Thanks for verifying the axle width!

Shortening up an axle doesn't really bother me if I have to go that route, it's been done for years, and the axles and parts are all readily available to do so. I just wish to get info from those who have it so I can avoid learning something the hard way in the process.

4. I agree. Tell him to leave the rear in the car and go find another one.....

5. exterminator

exterminator

I agree with crazy steve about passing on the car- if he takes the rear end.Then look for a two door.My opinon worth what you paid for it.

6. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

7. swooshcmk

swooshcmk

I must say I'm surprised that the majority consensus is to bail on it over a little fuss about a rear axle?? Am I missing something here?

Perhaps my newb comment is throwing everyone off? I'm not a newb to modification/customization of autos so much as a newb to this website and the old Fairlanes. I've been wrenching for over 15 years on cars, and I've got several years in restoring old Healeys and Jaguars, some of which were sent over from England and Australia for restoration, so trust me when i say the doing isn't the problem, I'm just after the information here.

For example, the axle width information is now cleared up. But why is everyone against cutting down a 9" to fit under it? Is there a technical reason behind it? Or is that merit based on opinion?

Also, I'm still curious for sources for parts for these older cars. I'm familiar with Moss Motors and Victoria British as parts sources for the Healeys and Jags, but are there similar sources for the good 'ol American classics? I've seen Dearborn classics, and one or two other sites with a few parts, but are there others?

8. swooshcmk

swooshcmk

Thanks JeffB2 - I haven't run across that group yet. I'll be sure to check it out!

9. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

Why go through all that on a 58 4 door? I wouldn't even if the car is free.

In other words I'm no help on the rear width.

10. Ive built several 57-59 Fords in the past, customs and mild street cars, 2drs and 4drs, and I have to say that the majority of the guys here are right on the money...walk away if the dude wont leave the rear end where its at. Hes tryin to dick you around on it bc he knows he can make a buck off it. Doesn't make much good financial sense to let him do it...see: hes gonna sell you a rear for 150, that you can buy all day long for 100 bucks, then hes gonna sell that 9in for anywhere from 200-350, and the whole time hes making sound like YOURE getting the better deal by giving him more money to swap rears?! Theres plenty of decent 57-58 Fairlanes out there man I promise.

11. swooshcmk

swooshcmk

Well I wasn't really planning on buying the 8" rear end - hence the question about the original axle width. I was curious if the 62 thunderbird 9" axle available locally for 150 would fit or if it would need to be shortened. Plus I already have the 9" truck axle on hand, which I knew would need to be shortened and have a different bolt pattern.

He's not looking to sell the 9" separate from the car, he's putting it under his project car - in place of the 8" he'd sell me - which as stated, I'd prefer to go the 9" route

Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
  12. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

For parts... Dearborn classis and Mac's

13. look at a newer town car or Merc equel,

14. swooshcmk

swooshcmk

Thanks! I hadn't run across Mac's yet!

15. junior58

junior58

If you have other 9 inchers available, why not see if he'll take one of those instead, and leave the original uncut one under the 58?

16. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

As you have found, this forum is rife with macho attitudes about how you should do business. Ignore it. Not one of the naysayers either asked what you have to pay for this near rust free Ford nor offers a good alternative vehicle.

An 8" Ford axle is generally underrated. The axles are the same as small bearing 9", the design of the pinion support is the same as a 9" and they are quite durable. That said, there is nothing wrong with your plan to narrow a 9" if you can't find a correct width to bolt in.

You obviously have a good grasp on what you are doing......so proceed and best wishes with your project.

Ray

17. Another option is the Ford Explorer rear. It is 59-5/8" wide, Limited Slip, Rear Disc, easy to find in a 3.73 or 4.10 ratio and these sell for around $100 at the local pull a part. Parts are cheap and for less than $60 the track lok is rebuildable.

18. lukey

lukey

If u aren't doing burnouts or racing, the 8" will be fine. Maybe consider an 8.8 from a mustang or something, 3.73 gears, a traction lock and disc brakes for $200 here...maybe cheaper where u are. I have a 58 ford, parts really aren't to hard to find if u can navigate the internet. Most of what I've bought are from macs tho. Any questions, just pm me

-LUKEY-

19. 58ClubVictoria

58ClubVictoria

Might want to check out the '52 to '59 Ford Social Group on this site. Just might find some things you are looking for. Concours Parts has a catalog for '49 to ' 59 Fords and so does Dennis Carpenter. Hope your rebuild goes well.

20. well I measured my 63 t-bird rear looks like 61 1/4 , as stated 8" is plenty for tooling around with a 302 , not sure about us 9" but 59 type 9" in australia was bad about week axles . yes a 9" is preffered but not to die for , others have said 8.8 explorer ( I put one under a customer 46 ford coupe good fit , maverik etc, if you get a housing narrowed you can get 31 spl axle set of ebay $295 to suit 57 1/4" rear and use the pumpkin from p/u rear if it's after 73 should be 31, pre 73 28 spline , anything wider than original rear will limit wheel choice . as one member asked a lot depends on how much you are paying for the car , you maybe set on a 4 dr (children etc) or a sentimental atatchment parents had one etc ,personally I would hold out for a 2 dr of some kind ,they are still out there, everything costs the same ,body paint brakes wheels tires etc, the only extra cost would be the purchase price , I just traded some labor for the one pictured with title , good luck with your build what ever way you choose

Attached Files: