Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Kliche Koupe goes KUSTOM!! -OR- The Bondo Chronicles

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by alteredpilot, Feb 24, 2010.

1. attitudor

attitudor
    from Finland

2. and just like that....

[​IMG]

yep. she's gone.

it was time to let her go so I made a deal with anther HAMBER which included his 54 ford customline.

This car was a real journey and learning experience. I wanted to thank everyone again for all the help, support, and encouragement.

time to start again...
    motorama 2011 here we come!

3. Jay71

Jay71

WHAT?!?!:eek::eek::eek: I was hoping to see it in Santa Maria!

4. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

It's ok!!! :)

You had your fun, and there is nothing wrong with changing it up brother!!!!!!:)

The Ford is cool!!!!

5. yeah, i'm stoked on the ford. i've already got the finished product in my head. i'm not going as crazy on this one. straight driver.

6. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

:cool::)

7. RustyRedRam

RustyRedRam

Damnit, Mitch! I wanted to see this one finished. Serves me right for becoming a hermit. Can't wait to see the Customline finished . . . .

8. might hafta wait a minute... gotta put an engine in it. rod. knock. give J a pat on the back for the ANRA win!

9. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Well, she's back...........in SoCal that is.

IMG_1592_3.jpg

The only reason I took the car in trade is because of the awesome work of all involved in the car.

10. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Love the old style flames....seen the car at the Motorama....very nice.

11. SoCal Merc

SoCal Merc
    from SoCal

Congrats Rick. Glad to see it back. Mitch did a nice job on it.

12. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I'm picking up the Grand Prix tomorrow.

13. SoCal Merc

SoCal Merc
    from SoCal

Got any pictures of the Grand Prix?

14. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

15. kinda bittersweet, what with the timing and all...

i'm stoked that its back home and that its in VERY good hands.

plus i made rick promise to call me first if he ever decides to sell...

i wish rick MANY happy miles in his new car and i hope to get it back someday (with AC)

16. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Hey Mitch, my wife is stoked, its so comfortable.

17. AWESOME!!! take a cruise over the vincent thomas bridge for me!

18. SoCal Merc

SoCal Merc
    from SoCal

The Grand Prix looks like a nice car

19. travisty

travisty
    from just moved

That was an awesome read. Thanks for sharing the journey.

20. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

It was owned by a collector. When he died, the wife sold the collection. My wife wanted a car with A/C. The things we do to make the wife happy........

21. Haha...indeed! The only one of mine my wife is remotely interested in driving is the 'Bird...

22. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

After some fit and finish issues, missing trim, over heating and low oil pressure, I finally got everything fixed thanks to Starlite Garage. They removed the front clip to realign the doors, added bear claw latch and an Auto-Lok system. Fixed the wind wings (so they close) and added a dome light.
    DSC02304.jpg DSC02305.jpg
    DSC02306.jpg DSC02307.jpg

I replaced the radiator with a triple pass U.S. Radiator and replaced the distributor (mechanical advance was frozen) and now she runs cool.
    IMG_1601.jpg

I dropped the car off at Budget Mobile Air and got heat and air conditioning.
    DSC02334.jpg

Now I'm ready for summer cruising and the wife's happy.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  23. rad. so stoked you finished what i didn't have time to.
    enjoy.

24. happy hoppy

happy hoppy

25. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I drove her the other day in rush hour traffic to test the a/c. Damn, I was freezing even though it was warm outside. I kept turning the thermostat down till it was barely cycling, worked great and never got over 160 in traffic.

26. peeduh

peeduh
    from atx

Sent from my SGH-T999 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

27. threadsurrection, i know, but now i can close this chapter.
    So when i put this thing together, i had 2 goals: 1) display it on an arena main floor and 2) get a magazine feature article. i got #1 at the 2010 Long Beach Motorama and 5 years later thanks to Speed and Chrome Illustrated issue #10 i got #2. Thanks to @Lancer for the pages, Matt Frederick for the photos and @GassersGarage for letting me borrow the car for the afternoon. It really is a great little book. get your copy at www.speednchrome.com features on Quain Scott's Willys, Jeff Lindstrom's Model A, Eagle Field, HAMB Drags 14 and much more!

[​IMG]

Gotgas, chryslerfan55 and damnfingers like this.
  28. She's Back!
    It's been a minute, and I've been lagging on the post, but I digress.

In the early part of last year my wife started bugging me about a new Suburban. I just paid off the truck we have not too long ago so I was in no mood to start over again. She kept bugging and I kept resisting. Then in late April BigDaddy tagged me on instagram with a post from a guy who had just bought my car off of Rick, who has had it all this time. I sent the guy a message to congratulate him and I told him if he ever wants to sell to call me. Turns out he's a HAMBer, but i cant remember his HAMB tag. His instagram post talked about how he had followed this thread and loved the car and was so stoked to have had the opportunity to buy it. Had I known I could have gotten it for what he paid for it, I would have bought it then and there, but I digress.

So the wife keeps bugging and I keep putting her off. Then one day I asked her, "Would you rather have a suburban or your car back?" Without hesitation she said "My car." I was kind of fishing/joking, but she was dead serious. I mulled over calling Chuck for some number of weeks. I have had a bunch of cars since this one left, and I liked some of them, but none of them ever felt right. The nudge to call kept bugging me. The urge was exceptionally hot one day when I went to look at a car. It was not a good fit for me, so I went back to the shop picked up the phone and made the call.

I'm asking myself, "How do you ask a guy who just bought the car he's been dreaming about for 10 years, and obviously loves it to sell it?" Well, you just ask. Turns out he forgot about my ask to call me if he wanted to sell because as it turns out, He had just listed it for sale locally and had a standing offer from a buddy of his.

After talking a bit, he ascertained that the right place for the car was back at home, we struck a deal, and the rest is history. I picked her up on Sept 27. Pretty much the same weekend that the car debuted at the Long Beach Autorama (Sept. 23-26, 2010). 10 years almost to the day that I finished up and drove off into the sunset to get to the show, I did the same thing except to bring her home for good this time.

Thanks to the guys who took such good care of her for me for the last 10 years.

Pic taken day of.
    fuego.jpg

Gotgas, guthriesmith, 40LUV and 3 others like this.
  29. Roothawg

Roothawg

I have always loved that car Mitch. Congrats.

alteredpilot likes this.