Register now to get rid of these ads!

History History (and Build) of Just Steve's 1932 Ford Three Window

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Roadsir, Nov 26, 2013.

1. Really cool. I like the firewall myself. I think I would run it...

2. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

Met Steve a couple times and am very sorry of his passing. Got to know him a little when he worked for the Digest and did a feature of pop's roadster at the Nats North. What a great and knowledgeable guy! Glad to see you're putting his coupe on the road, and he'll be riding along in spirit.

3. 1947vert

1947vert
    from Minnesota

I too, had the pleasure of knowing your brother. I was truly saddened by his passing. It is great that the car is staying in the family. I really like your plans and can't wait to see it on the road.

4. zoomma

zoomma

Wonderful story.
    Best of luck on the build.

5. dixstir

dixstir

Eric, when your dad asked me if I got some pictures I said no then he resent them. could not hardley believe what I was reading ,you did a awsome story.you are a lucky man to get this car ( it would be a true gift from steve ,

6. Roadsir

Roadsir

Larry, 5:50's and 7:50's
    Hi Dick, Thanks!

7. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Eric - I was fortunate to be talking to you a month or so ago when you told me about your plans to keep your brother Steve's 32 three window in the family. Glad it all worked out for you, it is definitely the right thing to do! I am sure Steve would be proud in the knowledge that his coupe remains in good hands.
    The pics you have posted tell a real story, and what better place to tell than here! Really look forward to updates as you progress with this build. All the best to you and your family.
    Steve S.

8. Roadsir

Roadsir

Guys, thanks for all the nice comments and feedback. Today I finished up some shelving to get more parts off the ground and then decided to go through a few boxes of Rodders Digest archive information and other photos that Steve had. I did find some more information on the '32

First is a picture of the motor when the car was pulled out. My Dad thought the hanging pedal assemblies were 57 Ford that were chrome plated and the master cylinder and clutch cylinder were chrome plated too. You can barely make out the hole in the side of the head from freezing, you can see the Hurst Mounts, and the Header ( more on that below)

[​IMG]

Here is the Header, Steve could not find the driver side, If anybody know the manufacturer, or has one. Let me know, if not I can duplicate it,

[​IMG]

This is another shot after it was loaded. The graffiti triangle has been buffed off. The car had 39 Ford Tailights but the holes were filled.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This shot was cool...Kind of like being behind bars.

[​IMG]

Stepping back in time again, and hopefully some Twin City guys can help out. On the back of one of these Steve had written "Road Angels car show in Robbinsdale, car owned by Jim Rauch 1957 or 1958. One of the nicer cars in the club, so the trophies were displayed with it.

An earlier pic that I had posted with the car in a shop said it was the Rythym Rods club garage in Minneapolis.

What are the hubcaps? 53 Buick full size?

[​IMG]

On the back of this picture it says "1960 or 1961" GSTA show owned by Don Shanks R&R Racing Team was left over from Rythym Rods. Engine was rumored to be gold plated, also just a dummy with no crank or pistons, strictly show.

The rear end on the car still has remnents of being painted red at one time, and then gold.

There was another black Buick powered 3 window in MPLS around this time that belonged to Carl Pramil. Carls had a metallic blue vinyl interior and is still around un-molested in Colorado (it was just featured not too long ago in RJ? or RC?) I heard there was some sharing of motors for the GSTA shows.

[​IMG]

Close up of the motor, the R&R racing on the lower cowl, chrome master cylinders look the same, chrome headlights look the same, but the firewall isn't skinned, front end looks a little lower..

[​IMG]

Eric Aurand original Artwork for the car...sorry for the bad picture, you can see my reflection and shop in it. I also have the doodle bug to finish.

[​IMG]

Yesterday I mentioned the dash, and the chrome glove door, here it is..
    [​IMG]

9. Wow what an absolute time capsule, that body looks in unbelievably mint condition. Good luck with the build, I'll be following this one for sure..

10. Roadsir

Roadsir

F&J,
    The Red tranny is the transmission. Steve must have picked this up converted, as it is not the tranny that was in the car originally.

Based on the input shaft overall length (6.75") and based on some quick measurements the shaft may be 5/16" too long, based on where the bushing sits in one of the engines today. It appears this could be pressed in farther or machined some to reduce the thickness.

[​IMG]

Based on the where this bushing resides it appears I would have slight interference. I'll verify the measurements and fit the parts up as well.

I 'll do some digging on the candlestick to see if I can find one in the parts.

[​IMG]

Crank from the other motor without a bushing, looks like I could go deeper into the crank if needed.

[​IMG]

volvobrynk likes this.
  11. seatex

seatex

Man, that's LEGACY! So glad you were able to keep your brothers dream alive for this car. She's a 'beaut!

12. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

I always liked your Brother's work and am very sorry to hear of his passing. I'm really glad to hear that awesome car will stay in the family. I know you'll do him proud with the build and like the song ''Riding with private Malone'', he'll always be riding with you...

13. uncle buck

uncle buck

Larry was sleep typing originally. He woke up and asked about the front tires in post 49:D

14. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

Hahahahaha!
    And we got an answer,too

15. Roadsir

Roadsir

Steve, thanks, I'd really like to have your three window sitting next to this one:D...I'm not quite sure what to do with my 34. I may paint the chassis, so that I can assemble it and consolidate some parts, then set it aside, so I can focus on the 32. It's been been put on the back burner a couple time before, I hate to do it again.

16. Brock49Ford

Brock49Ford

Great that you are able to keep it in the family and continue your brothers dream. He appeared to have every intention of being a "caretaker" of this hot rod. Not change everyhing about it. From reading your posts and seeing the pictures I have no doubt you will do him proud.

17. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I never met Steve, but had some correspondence with him over a period of time. What a nice and generous guy he was!

I like that you're completing his project. A lot.

18. 2b-banjo

2b-banjo

The first time that I met Steve was at a car show in Menomonie, Wi. he was doing "Midwest Rod & Machine" magazine at the time. This was 1988. I drove in with my 34 Ford coupe and he walked over and talked about my car, he asked if he could do a photo shoot and article on it. Of course the answer was yes, so we moved the 34 over to an area that he had for doing photo shots. After that was over he wanted to know if I was interested in taking the car out on hy 94 for some action pictures, another yes from me and away we go!!! I didn't realize how exciting in was going to get!!!

I will let Steve's words as written in the July 1988 issue of "Midwest Rod & Machine" magazine tell you:

"Bob left off the hood ornament when he built the car, but when we shot this month's cover, he thought that I might be trying out for the job. I was riding in the back of a Chevette with the hatch back open, and was using a wide-angle lens that I wasn't familiar with. Looking through the lens, I kept motioning for Bob to come closer, so his car would fill the frame. Bob seemed reluctant, and when I put the camera down I found out why. That lens should have a warning like those convex rearview mirrors-"objects appear closer than they appear." Bob's car was right underneath the hatchback with me. I could of reached out and polished his hood (at 70 mph) if I hadn't been so surprised! Anyway, the results were good, and we all had survived to laugh about it afterwards."

It is really neat that you have the 32 and helps keep our memory fresh, what a really special person Steve was!!! I shared this story many times in parking lot chats.

Attached Files:

• 079.JPG
      079.JPG
      File size:
      148.4 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2013
    DallasVW171 likes this.
  19. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Congrats! I'm so happy for you and like others have said Steve would be thrilled that the car will be on the road and will get the wheels driven off it.

I miss and think of Steve often and always wonder how Becky and the boys are getting along. The boys have got to be end of high school, early college maybe? If either of the boys are into hot rods then someday I hope the '32 can make it back into one of their lives.

Happy Holidays to you and your whole family.

20. What a great old hot rod and story to go along with it. DAM! That is a great body...

21. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

Ryan should make it mandatory that you must tell wheel and tire size and brand when posting pics...inquirin' minds don'tcha know. ;)

kidcampbell71, dad-bud and volvobrynk like this.
  22. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Killer story..... simply awesome.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  23. bonesy

bonesy

I can't get enough of this. Awesome.

24. Roadsir

Roadsir

I remember this story and the cover, thanks for sharing, and yes Steve did have a 'Vette....errrr Chevette, how many hotrodders can say that!

25. Roadsir

Roadsir

Thanks again to all for sharing some Steve Memories. I did here a little on the valve cover story from my brother in-law Thudson (still need Tman to share this).

Minnesota guys, please spread the word. I would like to find to more photos and bulletins from the GSTA show, and more information on the Rythym Rods, and hopefully more history on the car.

Thanks again
    Eric

26. BONNEVILLE BOB 95

BONNEVILLE BOB 95

Was sorry to hear of Steves passing a few years ago. Always felt there was unfinished business with the 3wd with the magazine folding and all. Hadn't heard anything new on it until I saw it on a deuce forum I tripped across yesterday.
    Am glad to know the story isn't done on this car. And glad to know it's still in the family and in good hands as well. Remember, Read it,Build it, Drive it.

27. I'm sure your brother is smiling down on you knowing that this sweet little 3w is still in the family. Everyday driving her will be like having him along for the ride... Enjoyed reading the thread ... Please keep the updates coming...

28. Jersey Suede

Jersey Suede
    from Joisey

Eric,

So great that you are the new care taker of Steve's deuce. But don't let the issue of fenders vs no fenders bug you. I have a sneaky feeling that Steve will guide you in the right direction. Good luck with the build!! Lance

29. adam401

adam401

I don't know if Ive ever seen a cleaner real Ford deuce body. Great car with a great story. In todays market even if you have the cash its hard to find a car that good. Amazing.

30. Ebert

Ebert

Eric,

Thanks for sharing your awesome story and for keeping the flame going on your brother's story and ride! Cool car!!!
    E