Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SouthUrn

SouthUrn
    BANNED
    from US

2. Finn Jensen

Finn Jensen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A1E Skyraiders (Spads), shared a base with us in Northern Thailand in mid 60s. Where was this photo taken?

3. Hey Doc;
    this one's for you!
    doc.jpg
    Thanks for all you do and have done.

4. scrappybunch

scrappybunch
    from nj

A Bel Air with 210 rear fender spears??

5. roadkillontheweb

roadkillontheweb

Ok you Corvair guys, what have we here? I have been collectiing Junior cars for a long time and I have never seen one of these before. Was this taken at Expo 67 in Montreal? Are these electric or gas powered? Who made them? Do any survive?

I have been advised that the uniforms are French CRS Officers (their federal police service) So It looks like the photo may have been from France???

Last edited: Nov 28, 2013
  6. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ah! The memories! :) Thanks for that mate.

Doc.

7. Lack of dash stainless and stainless around tops of windows makes it a 210. Lots of folks ''Bel Aired'' the 210s with the side inserts. Crest on the trunk indicates a 6 cyl, looks like he has backup lights and the bumper is outta whack. Pet peeve of mine on a lot of 57s

8. axe grinder

axe grinder

9. axe grinder

axe grinder

10. axe grinder

axe grinder

11. SouthUrn

SouthUrn
    BANNED
    from US

McClellan Air Force Base, dated 2/15/68.

12. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think I can understand just how special and what a meal like that could mean to these soldiers. After doing the 'hard yards' for god knows how long living on tinned rations its hard to explain just how special something like this is.
    These guys deserved this and more, the greatest generation indeed!

Doc.

13. JLP

JLP

axe grinder,

Thank You for the pictures of the GI's above.
    Since it is Thanksgiving Day we all need to be thankful for those who were involved in fighting and giving their lives so we can enjoy this day.

I did not serve but here is my thanks for all that did.
    Father in 1917
    Brother 1957-1961

14. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

SWI66, in your post 83903, second photo from the top. I had a four-door F-85 with the aluminum V8, and liked it a lot. That one was tan. I traded it for my first Corvair, a 1965 which was that color. Don't know what Oldsmobile and Buick called it. Chevy called it "Evening Orchid," Pontiac referred to it as "Iris Mist." Got 1500 miles on it before I was T-boned by a drunk running a red light in Louisville and it was totalled. Replacement was blue and drove it almost 100,000.

In a later post, you show a truck with the "Built in Texas by Texans" sign. That was a big deal in the late 50s when I was in Texas with the USAF. Bumper stickers on Fords everywhere. Pretty soon others started popping up - "Built in Virginia by Virgins," etc.

Funniest one I saw was "Built in Louisiana by Coona**es."

15. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Happy Thanksgiving to all.Most of all to the greatest generation and to the ones who served before such as my Father and his oldest brother who served in the trenches in WW1.God bless them all.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

16. monkeyspunk79

monkeyspunk79

First car built at Ford's Mahwah, NJ plant. It was a station wagon with handicap provisions for the pedals.

The plant closed in 1980 and its last car was a Fairmont Futura coupe. Talk about going out with a whimper.

The Boss referenced this NJ factory in his song "Johnny 99" on his Nebraska album.
    The first car to roll off the assembly line at 7:57 a.m. July 16, 1955, was a modified black Ford station wagon made with hand controls for use by disabled drivers. - See more at: http://www.northjersey.com/communit...e_but_not_forgotten.html#sthash.IGwlT8T3.dpuf

17. 296ardun

296ardun

The XB-43 still exists, at the Smithsonian, unrestored:

[​IMG]

18. Mart

Mart

I don't know if it helps at all but I did find a version of this that looked ok when blown up bigger, and the little hats have "Nestle" written on them, and on the left of the pic are some teepees.

Probably just clouds the waters even more.

19. scrubba

scrubba

Doc, I'm taking this to a present day time . Thanks be to the people currently having to serve the THANKLESS S O B's in the middle east who want us there only on their terms !

Ladies and gentlemen of the Armed Forces , THANK YOU for you're brave service !

scrubba

20. X2 scrubba. My oldest is a Sgt. in the U.S.Army, Afghanistan Veteran, and I couldn't be more proud.
    Thanks for and to ALL who have served and are serving now. Now eat some turkey!

21. gas pumper

gas pumper

This is the company that started Horseless Carriage the car transporters. Still located the same place in Paterson, NJ.

Attached Files:

22. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

Thanks Doc. I was just about to ask .....

WHAT THE HELL IS THIS THING?

Sort of looks like a Frog, doesn't it?

23. DWest

DWest
    from Missouri

Geez, why is there always one. Buckwheat was great as were all of the rest of the gang, I still enjoy watching them. :D

24. Bob W

Bob W
    from Here

210 with BA incerts and crests.

25. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Buck Wheat would be Oh Tay! with this thread!:p

26. c57heaven

c57heaven

Bob is correct. The interior on the door panel is 210.

27. Search Dog

Search Dog
    from Western CT

Well, Nestle' is a French company...

28. Brizo

Brizo
    from Indy

Those early style Corvair junior cars appear to have actual full size '61 deck emblems and '62-'64 type fender emblems. I've been involved with Corvairs for many years but I've never seen or heard of these bodies before!

29. scrappybunch

scrappybunch
    from nj

Were there any 6 cyl Bel Air made? I saw the exhaust out the left and no 'V' on the deck lid.

30. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

[​IMG]

I don't know who these folks are .I found the photo a while ago thought I'd share it with you guys..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.