Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1934 3 window HighBoy Build Begins

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by geoking, Dec 12, 2012.

1. geoking

geoking

End of the day paint booth " primer" pictures from Josh....

Attached Files:

2. geoking

geoking

If you are familiar with the country song lyrics .. "What was I thinking" you will laugh with Josh and I a little more. We can not take the vacuum spider out and cap it off because we are running EFI and need to have the vacuum port for the MAP sensor. WELL DUH!!! The vacuum we will have is estimated at 12 inches of mercury and not enough for the power brakes that I wanted to have.

Adding a vacuum pump with reservoir is too much hassle and we have decided to stay with the dual master cylinder manual brake set up.

There is one exception, the current master cylinder has a 1 inch bore and it will be replaced with a 7/8 inch bore to increase line pressure. This is a very small tweek that will make me feel better that we did all possible to minimize the amount of effort required to stop.

Regards,
    George

3. geoking

geoking

Now that the temporary detour ( sorting out the brake direction) is completed for the time being, Josh has been able to get back to the business of getting the radiator/grill assembled.

We DELIBERATELY went over board on moving air. Please note the large stainless fan driven by the water pump pulley and the auxillary electric pusher that will be available by manual switch rather than temp sensor. It's hanging on the front of the alternator in the photo but will be thrown in the trash. I should be able to drive without over heating by just using the mechanical fan. If stuck in cruise traffic, I wanted the option to flip on additional air flow to insure confidence in reliability. IE: NO OVER HEATING.

The radiator was shortened 1.5 inches to maintain a straight belt line and the bottom of the grill was kicked out to accommodate.

It's starting to come together. smile.

Regards,
    George

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
  4. geoking

geoking

Now that the radiator is mounted, Josh has polished the stainless steel water pipes that he had previously fabricated to use along with short hose sections to connect the upper and lower water pump to the upper and lower radiator.

Some of you may remember that way back in the engine build, the crossover was modified for using the 331 heads on the 392 block. The effort was made to insure that the thermostat housing and cover was centered for a short 45 degree into the radiator inlet.

Now, after all these months later, the fussiness will pay off in CLEAN detail.

Regards,
    George

Attached Files:

5. alchemy

alchemy

I don't use one, but have read here that an electric fan will block airflow when not turned on. Are you concerned that the electric fan will do this, since it's right out front?

6. geoking

geoking

Alchemy,
    I have seen it go both ways. Lot's of variables including fan size on both sides as well as having a good fan shroud that is properly installed.

To answer your question, Sure, I have concerns. That being said, it isn't a big deal to work out during intial driving and if it becomes an issue, it will be a simple fix. I like the optional e-fan usage and it is working very nicely on Pete Stringers 34.

I'll report back results at the beginning of January.

Wish me luck!

George

7. daddio211

daddio211

That's always been my understanding as well, that pusher fans block airflow while at speed (driving).

My '27 T Roadster build: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t= 734383

8. geoking

geoking

Not much to report as Josh is still tweaking around on the small frame items while Dustin is on the body. More wet sanding !!!!

In the mean time, the drive shaft came in today. Sorry Dustin , but more sanding and painting. smile.

As I can't contribute much , I have pulled a Chevy 348 W Engine from its dusty corner of my shop and torn down the top half of it . I will knock the pistons out of it tonight and Pete and I will run it down to the machine shop one day this week.

I just need something new to work on as the coupe project is winding up soon. I placed an ad in the wanted section for the next build.

Regards,
    George

Attached Files:

9. geoking

geoking

Josh sent me the attached picture of the Kinmont "style" brake cover this afternoon.
    He has polished the lip and edge to match the backing plate effort. The cover will be shot in matching body color. "Pozzi Blue".

I also heard from Bill Chapman this afternoon and the red line tire set shipped today. I am looking forward to receipt and mounting.

Regards,
    George

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
  10. geoking

geoking

It always scares me to see nice parts hanging from those little wires!

Regards,
    George

Attached Files:

11. geoking

geoking

Red Line tires arrived last night and I had them mounted today. See what you think? Smile.

Regards,
    George[/QUOTE]

Attached Files:

12. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

High Five on the Red Lines George :)

13. ezdusit

ezdusit

Well worth the wait, George...

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

14. Homemade44

Homemade44

George, like everything else with this project the red lines are unique and perfect. This is a great build.

15. palat

palat

The red lines look terrific. I am strongly tempted to update the final renders of this project.

16. geoking

geoking

Thank you ALL!

Attached Files:

17. rexrogers

rexrogers

They look outstanding!

18. loudbang

loudbang

Holy crap that is what you would call Bigs and Littles for sure. New tires and wheels look great.

19. You know George, I hate for you to burden your '34 with those wheels and tires. You probably should just give them to me for my Ranchero. ;-)

20. geoking

geoking

Josh dropped an interior panel at the hard coating shop to see how a panel would look before we have them all clear "hard anodized". The caustic dip tank that etches the aluminum as part of the preparation process, made the panel a little more grey in color. It also resulted in a huge improvement in the uniformity of the finish. The best part is that the panels will now be able to be handled without leaving finger prints or turning black. A simple damp wipe for dusting and good as new.

Now for all the rest... 2 full tanks worth and then carefully assemble into the coupe.

regards,
    George

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  21. geoking

geoking

Josh says Dustin has her near flawless. I'm excited and will drive up Saturday to drop off tires / wheels and see the progress first hand. I'm guessing that there will be some block sanding going on over the next few days. smile. Nice job Dustin.
    regards,
    George

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  22. daddio211

daddio211

George, this is such an amazing build! Can't wait to see it all together!!!

23. geoking

geoking

Thank you Daddio,
    I spoke with Dustin tonight and he may have color on her by the weekend.
    It is going to be really tight on time to finish up, get her running and debug our yet to be learned issues and then make it to the GNRS.

Regards,
    George

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  24. geoking

geoking

Here's an update on the front brake cover detailed finish.
    Another small step. The drive shaft has also been painted and will be installed today.
    Regards,
    George

Attached Files:

25. geoking

geoking

If you have any interest in how the interior paint looks?....

HERE YOU GO!

While it will all be covered up with sound proofing ,panels , and carpet , it is still nice to see it "clean" and know that we are getting good coverage for rust prevention. I asked Dustin how many cars he paints to this level annually and he said he averages about 7.

He really pays close attention to detail and I can't say thank you enough.

Regards,
    George

Attached Files:

26. todztoyz

todztoyz

Maybe I got bad tastes but I just don't get the redlines. On the low profile fronts they appear way too big. Might look better on the car. Don't get me wrong, I simply love your car and if you can put whatever tires you want on it. Maybe I just never really liked red lines at all. I can't wait to see it all done. Very badass.

27. geoking

geoking

Todztoyz,

You never know if something is going to work...OR NOT, until you try it. If you look at the renderings below, plain goes to plain PLUS a belt line red stripe, then it's all in with red line tires and a flame job. I have two sets of tires and can swap them out if the red lines prove too much. I don't take any offense to your speaking out against the red lines. Your post actually made me smile.

One of our build team members is dying to pin stripe each and every louver which I am dead set against. Another wants to just let the pin striper have an open canvas and do what ever it is that comes to mind? YIKES....

I am currently in the mode of less is more and trying to balance a little vs plain Jane.

I too, can not wait to see it done.

Take Care,
    George

Attached Files:

28. alchemy

alchemy

HA! This car ends up plain Jane? NOT! You could lose the redlines and the pinstriping and the car will still be close to over the top. You could hammer every louver closed and it will still be up there.

I kinda agree with Todz, the redlines may be too much.

29. daddio211

daddio211

I think the redlines will work fine as long as they tie into the paint, I just wish you'd chosen a non-directional tread pattern. But it's not my car! :D

30. geoking

geoking

Daddio,
    Directional vs non-directional tread pattern wasn't even on the requirements list. Hmmmm, to tell you the truth, I didn't even think about it. Maybe I should have?

I did spend a lot of effort trying to find a company that offerred big and littles with the same tread pattern. Hoosier and BF Goodrich both had matching treads but only Hoosier had the gi-normous rears I was looking for.

Mike Nicholas of the Hill Climb pushed me to find pie crusts but
    Bill at Diamond Back hasn't gotten his radials there yet. I think that he will get there.

The build was based on starting with these tire sizes to get the desired stance and ride height, I will definitely keep in mind to think about the tread design after I spin these rears off. How fun!

Thank you for the continued feedback...It is much appreciated.

Regards,
    George