Register now to get rid of these ads!

46 Fleetmaster with TH400 trans?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Boost, Nov 27, 2013.

1. Boost

Boost
    from Boston, MA

Hi All,

First time posting for me. I have a 46 Fleetmaster Coupe that I'm doing a SBC/TH400 trans swap on. I have a bolt-in trans cross member from chevsofthe40's but it doesn't look like it will fit with the stock K-member in place. I know there are lots of folks running a similar set-up. Are you guys just removing the entire stock K-member and using the bolt-in cross member? Any info, would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance - Boost

2. It all depends on cash verse skills i did one and cut the center out and weld 1 3/4 or 2 inch square (two of them) tubing to the rear of the k member pointing to the rear of the car with a hole drilled on the end of each one then made a crossmember to bolt across it took a chop saw a mig welder and a drill press done deal

3. Freemoe

Freemoe
    from Fowler, CA

My dad's coupe with 4l60e is like The Cut Master descried. The break bracket is also welded on to the k-member. On my coupe with a th350 the k-member is removed and a bolt on style is used. The reason mine is removed is the booster was interfering. Also my break bracket is bolt on to the frame compared to my dad's coupe.

4. Freemoe

Freemoe
    from Fowler, CA

Here is how my dad's was setup.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014

5. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

Here is my set up. This way I was able to keep my e-brake set-up and M/C in the same place when using a 700R4.

Attached Files:

6. chinarus

chinarus
    from Georgia

My 46 has the master cylinder moved to the firewall and a simple bolt in rear trans mount made from thick wall 2 inch square wall tubing similar to the ChassisEng bolt in unit from Chevsofhe40s. The brake setup is early 90s Astro van or similar.

7. Boost

Boost
    from Boston, MA

Wow!...Thanks so muck for the quick responses. I like the idea of keeping the M/C and e-brake in the stock location if I can. I have access to a MIG so maybe the partial K member removal like Freemoe's Dad pic if everything will fit under there.

Freemoe - Would you happen to have a pic of your TH350 setup on your coupe for comparison? I'm curious what you did with your e-brake and M/C if the K-member is gone.

Thanks again!
    Boost

8. Freemoe

Freemoe
    from Fowler, CA

Boost- In the first two pictures is my 350/350 setup. Still don't have my car on the road and as of yet don't have the hand break all planned out. Both cars we plan on using the original hand break. Lokar sells kits for the hand break, I figure a few brackets and we should be good. The last picture is how my dad's break was setup to the k-member.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  9. Boost

Boost
    from Boston, MA

Looks great! Thanks so much for the detailed pics Freemoe!

10. Freemoe

Freemoe
    from Fowler, CA

No problem Boost