Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SouthUrn

SouthUrn
    BANNED
    from US

2. SouthUrn

SouthUrn
    BANNED
    from US

3. SouthUrn

SouthUrn
    BANNED
    from US

4. fremont rugrat

fremont rugrat

I'm 99% positive the guy kneeling on the left is my father, Al Jewell. I contacted VH and they could not tell me who it was, but they could identify the three standing. I showed the photo to my mother and she told me it was, but the pic is so small that enlarging it distorts, so we can not be 100% positive. My dad was racer at Fremont in the late 50s-60s. He was always down at VH on Meekland and knew the guys well enough that this could be him. Thanks for posting this photo. Mike

5. OKG853

OKG853
    from Indiana

In summer of the mid 1980s, I had the opportunity to sit in the A/C's seat of the SAC museum's B-36J. Still outdoors at that point. I saw the lower hatch open. Someone in the cockpit. I decided then and there to climb aboard. Boy was it a steam bath under the canopy. But looking over my left shoulder and seeing that wing stretch out "forever" was a thrill. Got to close the hatch, too. I soon realized I had no permission to be inside. All the people on board where young ROTC students that had an arranged tour!

6. jroberts

jroberts

Factory Studebaker Push at Bonneville:

[​IMG]

7. Mart

Mart

Is this one a bit bigger?

[​IMG]

I tried to help a bit:

[​IMG]

Mart.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
  8. Manel

Manel
    from Catalonia

Yes: TF 1971 edition: Scuderia Pegaso's Renault Alpine A110 1300 cc. of S.Mantia-J. Lo Iocano. Retired 3rd lap.

9. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mansfield and Marine...

[​IMG]

10. 55bird

55bird
    from Spokane WA

Was at my brother's place the other night going through old family photos and found this, a pic I'd never seen. My first car, 55 T-Bird that I stuffed a 390 into. What would an 18 year old know about butchering up classics?

[​IMG]

11. Mart

Mart

^^^

Nice, pretty restrained, really.

Mart.

12. swi66

swi66

13. Hakro

Hakro

Russian car, Lada 2101, correct, but the number plate is Finnish. Estonian plates have first three numbers and then three letters, without a hyphen between.

The man on the roof is Kalevi Häkkinen, downhill skiing champion, who practiced high speed skiing this way. This situation may be arranged only for taking a picture (slow car, small road). In fact Häkkinen practiced on the roof of a Saab 900 Turbo driving nearly 200 kph (125 mph) on a motorway:

[​IMG]

Häkkinen's record speed on snow downhill (without a car) was 205,011 kph. He made it at the age of 60 in Les Arcs, France.

14. skipperbob

skipperbob
    from Upstate NY

OK grandma.... you just wait here, I'm sure the bus will be along shortly.

15. fremont rugrat

fremont rugrat

Mart, Thank you for enlarging the photos. Comparing the photos to other photos of my dad during the same era, I am now 99.7% convinced this is my father. Gotta leave room for error. Is there anyway you can send me a pdf of this photo to my email? Thanks again. I'll PM you with my email. Thanks. Mike

16. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I was wondering what chrome rims with the original poverty caps looked like and I like it so this is what I am going to use on my 55 sunliner when it comes out of winter storage.

17. It looks pretty darn good to me. I've got my eye on a '55 'Bird and this is the look I would consider for that next Ford in my future. But I'd likely keep the Yblock in it.

18. 55bird

55bird
    from Spokane WA

That's what I meant by butchering it. The 390 didn't look near as nice as the old Y-block, with its T-Bird aluminum valve covers and the chrome flying saucer air cleaner. It didn't sound right either. Nothing like the original Y-clock sound coming out of the rear bumper guards when the top was down.

The poverty caps looked especially nice on the wide (7" if I recall) reversed chrome rims.

19. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Fairlane reaches the end of the creek a little too soon, but it will be ready to spawn when the spring rains come. Should be 1000's of little Falcons soon. GN

20. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I wish I would have never seen this picture as I now want a 55 bird to go with my 55 sunliner,I could only afford a very rough one but could be my last major project before I retire.

21. Is that the steering linkage running from the cowl to the a-arm on the panel truck? I bet it is!!!!

22. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

The flying saucer departed, leaving Bob and the alien being, formed into a human image based on his description.

23. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Think I would settle for that if the doctor said take one of these orally per day..................:p

Doc.

24. starwalker

starwalker

[​IMG]

Fayetteville, Arkansas fire station.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.