Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Gasser Finals Race at Greer Dragway!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chevydeucewagon, Oct 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. That line follows him from thread to thread, he's a glutton for punishment.

2. Pudge87

Pudge87

To the gasser experts on here: Did many mustangs get converted to a gasser? I know in factory trim they rolled out at around 2700-2800 lbs. I could almost see one being lightened to the 2400ish category.

3. Maybe the car was getting away form him, so he wisely lifted. You ever run a straight axle car into the 105-110 mph range in the 1/8 mile, on 11 slicks, and marginal tracks?

4. johnybsic

johnybsic
    from las vegas

Dude. Its a gasser thread, that means "dooo doo doooooo" MoonRocket to the rescue!!!
    Boy i'm glad we have guys like this around to keep us straight. Things ain't been better from the day he bought an axle kit, and almost raced once....
    And shit howdy, shame on me! I buy parts from summit racing :eek: damn possers. We need to go and "grind a stock crank of some sort into what ever they needed"
    Wait...Thats how the did it right??? Undercut cranks to make strokers? IDK summit has ruined me :p I suppose.
    Wherever a gasser thread is...Be assured, It won't stay cool for long.
    I by NO means am an expert, But i also don't constantly front like i am either.

5. lmao! Ha ha ha! Now that is some funny stuff! You slayed me johnny! I SEE YOU'VE BEEN DOWN THE MOON LIT PATH BEFORE.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
  6. Uncledirty616

Uncledirty616

What is the range that the cars are currently running? 5.80-?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

Other than Ohio George, there was a 65 mustang called the "Numismatist" that ran A/GS in 65-66 it ran a blown small block chevy.

MELTDOWN DRAGS
    JULY 18-20 2014

8. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

Meltdown drags
    july 18-20 2014

Attached Files:

9. Moon Rocket

Moon Rocket
    BANNED
    from GA

"IMO why would you want to build a 100% exact gasser? By the time you find all the rare parts, you'd be scared to run the damn thing."

I'm curious, what would be a couple of examples of the more rare, hard to locate and expensive parts commonly used on a 1965 A/G car, excluding a SOHC?

10. Yep, the fastest cars have run low 5.80's, and that's were they want to keep it. They also have cars in the 6's & 7's, and I believe you have to be able to runs 6's to get any money.

11. Lighten up. HRP

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Ur0g-R7ZODY?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

12. i've been involved in racing since the early 60's and it's easier to make horsepower to-day parts are machined more exact, weight of components are more closely matched, tolerances are a hell of a lot better and easier to get. most everything was done on manual machines no cncs even stock blocks are better you can't go back.

13. Moon Rocket or Drama Queen ...you have moved from one thread to another busting everyones balls with your rants showing how little you know. Go back to face book.. You were a big supporter of the drags in Georgia that brought controversy.If I would have made that 10 hr drag down there with the description posted I would have been upset too. Bring a leaf spring 4 speed car and race against what? A 58 that is an old race car with 70's or newer technology ??? A Vega that was an old A/gas car had to be 71 or 72 unless it was a brand new car turned race car. So it would have been 4 link. Not condemning those cars just comparing.
    It would take some work on there part but Maybe these groups should go back to weight per cubic in. Then you could be competitive between the groups. If you want to run bracket racing.. they take old cars there. Gasser's should be heads up.
    Quains groups theory is old school suspensions and 4 speeds , the cars reacted different each time ... makes it more of a drivers race and the fans love it. And that is why I am building to those specs.
    If I remember right you did 13's and afraid to break your tranny. Spend a little money don't be afraid and go race with them.

14. dmc3113

dmc3113

X's 2

15. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1385573837.630045.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

16. frank spittle

frank spittle

Mentioning a '65 Mustang Gasser reminded me of why in my opinion the Gassers lost their appeal. Probably the biggest reason was when new cars were being used in the build like Mustangs, Camaros, Vegas, Pintos etc. It caused them to lose their identity. They looked like the new Funny Cars but were not as fast.

Of course, a '65 Mustang Gasser would be considered vintage today.

17. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Or, you could stop adding ridiculous fuel to the drama fire, and use some common sense.
    From what Quain said himself, at least one guy currently in his group, running a car that ran with his group, has left with his car to start another similar group.
    Quain hasn't said who it is, or which car or cars are leaving. He HAS said that of the 9 cars in his group, more than half (5) were running automatics, and he didn't like it. Since Quain has only dished out a little info, we are left to draw our own conclusions on some things.
    However, what we DO know is at least one of the cars that was in the group a month ago--we don't know which one, but we DO know it was a car we all liked watching, because every car in the group kicks ass--is going to get together with a bunch of other like-minded guys to form another gasser group.
    If you think this means "pro-mod wheelie bars, 4-links, coil over front suspensions and God knows what else from the Summit book," you probably need to wipe a little bit of the star-struck out of your eyes.

I do, however, have no doubt that a match race like that will NOT happen, even if the cars are mostly similar visually, because I have been told on two separate occasions that Quain and his guys don't want their cars PHOTOGRAPHED running anything other than cars that are period-correct... with fabricated box-tube chassis, 'glass bodies, tin interiors, 540-inch Boss motors and Jerichos.

-Brad

18. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

No, I won't. I put on a vintage race, I am NOT going to organize a group or race class.
    You know why?
    Because I'm building a gasser. And an altered. And someone told me a long, long time ago that if you are going to organize a race or a racing class, the guy putting the class together can't have a car in it. It has to be that way, otherwise the guy organizing the class writes the rules to favor his car, and it's usually his car that is always in the finals.
    Separation of Church and State, hot-rod style.

I hope to have one or both of my cars at my own event some day... so I can line up against my son and we can make an exhibition pass in front of a crowd. We will never race our own cars in a class at our own event.
    I WILL, however, race them at The Meltdown, going by their rules.

-Brad

Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
  19. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

You should probably have your facts straight before comparing:
    Yes, the '58 Ford shouldn't have been in Gas at my event. Shit happens at a first-time event. I corrected the problem to everyone's satisfaction, and then the following week ONE person from that group starting drama about it. (there could be a pattern here...)

The Zoro car was a legal Gas-class car in the late '60s, and it's a survivor. In fact, it's even running the same engine it had back then. But now, it's not supposed to be allowed in nostalgia Gas classes.
    The Vega doesn't even exist anymore. It was brought up in the discussion to make a point, just like the Prock & Howell car that was similarly constructed, and toured the country match racing with a couple other similar cars, all billed as "Nitro-Burning Gassers." Apparently the Prock 7 Howell car should not be allowed to run Gas at nostalgia events.
    The Vega was a legal IHRA Gas class car in '71 that was documented with period literature, not to mention a very storied and respected owner's word, and I was told repeatedly by some here that it was NOT a Gas class car, that it did NOT run Gas, and that I don't know what I'm talking about.

I don't mind an opinion different from mine. Hell, I don't even mind being told I'm wrong... when I am. Disagree with me all you like, but get the facts straight.
    You're entitled to your own opinion, you are not entitled to your own facts.

AND, let's not forget, at my race, the Quick 8 cars went through the ladder, and everyone else who wasn't in the Quick 8 gets paired with the car closest to their ET for a best 2/3 shootout, so everyone gets to race pretty evenly matched, regardless of what's under the hood or under the quarters. That '58 Ford wasn't the fastest qualifier... one of the Greer cars was.

-Brad

20. LET IT GO,,,ENOUGH ALREADY,,,this was a good thread that has spiraled out of control,,,over trivial crap,,he said this,,no I didn't.:rolleyes:

This thread is destine to be closed! HRP

21. edweird

edweird

what hrp said!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.