Register now to get rid of these ads!

PLEASE help us find our old drag car (model A)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by modelacitizen, Dec 28, 2008.

1. modelacitizen

modelacitizen

[​IMG]
    My uncle, my father and I are looking for this car! We want it back! It was campaigned at Maple Grove Pa in the late 60's. Here's what my uncle has to say about it. -
    When the coupe left Bienert (our last name) possession (I sold it in 1972 for $650), it had the 354 Chrysler in it with Hilborn injection with no stacks. The transmission it had was a brand-new Muncie close-ratio 4 speed. I think the shifter was Fenton. Rear tires were XS-11 superstock slicks (11 inches wide) on Lincoln wheels. I think the Lincoln wheels were reversed (by us) to gain clearance. The car was bought buy a guy from Hamburg, Pennsylvania. He arrived with a friend and a large Ford box truck to haul away the car. I think he came from a family who grew mushrooms. The coupe's steering box was Crosley and the steering wheel was a black and chrome item from Boscov's department store. The frame was 3-inch diameter steel tubing and the rear axle was solid-mounted and actually became the car's rear crossmember. The axle was secured to the frame by rows of Allen screws. All the shiny and unpainted sheet metal was aluminum that we bought from Morgan trailer. The car's front wheels we made from 1948 Plymouth and early Ford wheels. We drilled all the rivets from both sets of wheels and discarded the wide Ford rims and the Plymouth centers. We then welded the narrow Plymouth rims onto the Ford centers. I think the front tires were Volkswagen 5.50 x 15. The Plymouth rims were only 4'' wide. Alfred drilled all the holes in the front axle. The coupe weighed about 1860lbs. The firewall was made of two pieces of aluminum and had several decals attached.
    Frid bought the coupe from a guy he worked with, Charlie Titanic, I think.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lil'Alb, mgtstumpy and volvobrynk like this.
  2. modelacitizen

modelacitizen

If the coupe still exists, the most positive way to identify it would be to find evidence of the holes we cut in the body for the drag link and the exhaust pipes. If the frame is still under it, that would be very obvious because nobody but nobody used 3 inch tubing for a frame.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ANY info or questions PLEASE contact me!

3. modelacitizen

modelacitizen

4. modelacitizen

modelacitizen

Anyone from PA remember it?

5. Gearstix

Gearstix

I hope you find it. I really like it.

6. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

cool fucking car. i hope you find it!

7. SlamCouver

SlamCouver
    from Brazil, IL

Wow that car is bad ass I hope you find it, Actualy hell I hope I find it ;)

volvobrynk likes this.
  8. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

That thing is very cool. Hope you find it!!

9. srdart67

srdart67
    from Sharon, Wi

good luck with the hunt wish i could help that is one slick car.. if you cant find it at least ya'll remember enough to reproduce... may not be the same but sure would be cool to have more of them rollin around

volvobrynk likes this.
  10. AHotRod

AHotRod

The car is awesome, love the pictures and the story details. I've not seen it around my area here in Florida, but will keep my eye open for it.

11. squigy

squigy
    from SO.FLO.

Wow..you might want to get ahold of "Clark" here on the HAMB..he lives in Pa. and knows alot of old timers in Pa.

12. 28 ponti

28 ponti

hey everyone. I was the worst driver of this car. But I'd like to find it so I can try again. Any info, please let us know.

volvobrynk likes this.
  13. roosters hot rods

roosters hot rods

thats a cool ride i hope you find it

14. maybe you might consider re creating the car..IF you did find it, you would have to update it anyway. Or who knows, it might be a cool street rod by now !

recreate it ,and save youself the aggrivaition chasing false leads.

1939fiat

15. SlamCouver

SlamCouver
    from Brazil, IL

16. modelacitizen

modelacitizen

Man I've thought about cloning this car so many times. Now I'm involved in my own model A project. However . . . if we were to locate this car, I would sell mine in a heartbeat to fund a restoration.

volvobrynk likes this.
  17. g-lover51

g-lover51
    from Dallas Ga

That is one bitchin car. I wouldn't stop looking for it either if I were you

volvobrynk likes this.
  18. modelacitizen

modelacitizen

I know this thread is super old so please forgive me for bumping it. My dad and I are still looking for this car. ANY info... please contact me.

volvobrynk likes this.
  19. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Super Old????? Haha lately 7 year old threads are getting bumped.

Did you contact Clark as suggested above?

20. modelacitizen

modelacitizen

Yeah, I did but he had no info. I know some sites are sensitive about bumping old threads. Thanks for looking.

21. modelacitizen

modelacitizen

I'm bumping this again. I hope it's ok. I would sell my coupe in a hot minute if this thing turned up. My dad and uncle are in their mid 60's now and I dream of finding this car for them. I'm getting close to the point where I wanna just build a clone. But the original thing would be 1000x cooler. thanks for looking

volvobrynk likes this.

22. I think that is actually an altered and if I found it I wouldn't let you know I had it, if you catch my drift. One neat little ride for sure.

I hope you find it. If I do see it or some part of it I will let you know.

I hope you find more of it that I found of my dad's old A/GA. The fella that bought it parted it out and one of the fellas found the body in Arizona. I now have the body hanging from the rafters of my new digs up north.

volvobrynk likes this.
  23. Ghost of ElMirage

Ghost of ElMirage

Without a doubt!! That is fuckin cooleran shit!!!!!!!!

24. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

I hope you find it! Good luck!

25. modelacitizen

modelacitizen

26. modelacitizen

modelacitizen

bumping it again

volvobrynk likes this.
  27. Mark T

Mark T

If I were you I'd get a spot at the spring and fall Maple Grove swap meet and display a few very large poster boards with big pictures of the car. Many old timers there that may know its whereabouts.

How about a wanted ad in the local newspaper in Hamburg PA.

Good luck in your search.

lothiandon1940 and volvobrynk like this.
  28. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

That is an awesome. Legen wait for it dary, I would say.

Keep at it, never give up.
    And start collecting parts. If you just get enough you have the parts needed you can restore. If you got too many you can clone it.

Rasmus Brynk Andersen, from Denmark.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  29. modelacitizen

modelacitizen