Register now to get rid of these ads!

SDRA build in Missouri

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by 4x4machinist, Nov 25, 2013.

1. 4x4machinist

4x4machinist
    from Missouri

After reading Old28 and Bobw's build thread, I had to have one these cars!
    The only parts I had on hand was a 9" Ford from a 70's model pickup that I narrowed to 56" and a driveshaft from a 87 Jeep YJ that is 13-1/4 long. I made the frame from 2 x 3 x 3/16 wall tubing using Youngsters T bucket plans. Found a 250 Chevy on Craigslist and a friend had a powerglide. bought a 4" drop tube axle with Ford spindles and a Vega steering box from Ron Pope Motorsports. Seat and master cylinder came from Speedway. Currently I'm working on the brake pedal and the linkage to the master cylinder.
    brake pedal.JPG

brake setup.JPG

driveshaft guard.JPG

master cylinder.JPG

rear end mount.JPG

sdra.JPG

side view.JPG

x brace.JPG

2. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Welcome to the insanity. Looks like you have a good start.

3. Old Jimmy Six

Old Jimmy Six

I see you are in Missouri, I live about 45 miles north of Springfield Missouri, I have a SDRA car, it has a 1954 GMC 302 bored out to 320. It has gone as fast as 118 mph at 11.28 et. How close are you to me?

4. Old28

Old28

That is a fine looking start to an SDRA dragster. I like your complete brake system and your seat mounted as you have it will make getting out a lot easier. Keep the pictures coming as you have time.

Just as a side note to you about the class, (old Jimmy Six) is a player in the Tulsa Group and as they run heads up races you have to be able to run low to mid 11's to be a consistent player. All the rest of use have to run some type of bracket race with a dial-in so it don't matter if you run 11.20 or 16.50 as long as you can "cut a good light" and run your dial-in.

We all wish we had a Jimmy 320 in the frame, life would be sweet.;)

These SDRA automatic dragsters can be a decent bracket car as shown by my friend Scott from the NWVD group out of OR/WA. He won the dragster/altered series this year with his 261" Chevy/PG SDRA dragster. Most all of the cars he runs with are V8 powered.

5. 4x4machinist

4x4machinist
    from Missouri

Old Jimmy Six, I live about 30 miles east of Springfield. Sounds like your car flys!!! Did you have it at the HAMB drags this year?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. bobw

bobw

It's obvious you are highly skilled and know what you are doing. Gonna be a nice car. When do you expect to have it running?

7. 4x4machinist

4x4machinist
    from Missouri

BOBW,
    Thank you for the kind words, I wouldn't know what I doing if folks like you and OLD28 didnt take the time to post your builds! This is my 1st race car build, i've been studying you and OLD28 build, that were all my info came from. If you see any problems as i go along please let me know. Hope to have it track ready mid year in 2014, depends on how busy I am at work.

8. mudflap261

mudflap261
    from tulsa

Welcome 4x4 to SDRA we can use all the cars we can get. SDRA rules may be found at www.TULSA RACEWAY PARK.com top left corner. we also have a facebook page www.facebook.com/SDRA Tulsa. scroll down till you find the starbird car show it will say Start on one of the pics. Reading the above you would think you have to run in the 11s to compete not true .All cars run every round ,we draw cards for first round pairings ,then the winners run the winners and the losers run the losers until we have a winner. winner gets 10 points loser 5.This class was started so guys like you working a 40 hour week could have a race car. If you show up with stock engine and trany that's fine your still going to get 3or4 passes a night maybe more, nobody is going to make fun of you. this is about having fun. By the way old jimmy six was the2009 SDRA champ.ROY is a old time racer you would be wise to contact him. SDRA is having a meeting DEC 7 sat at bob hindmans shop 2 pm. When we started out in 2005 these cars were in the 16s. feel free to pm any time .LARRY JONES past president SDRA

9. 4x4machinist

4x4machinist
    from Missouri

Mudflap261, thank you for the info and the invite. I would like to go to Tulsa and run with all of you, sounds like fun!

Hope everone had a good Thanksgiving. Didn't get alot done over the holiday, here is some pictures.

Finished the pad for the brake pedal
    brake pedal pad.JPG

Bent the front hoop
    front roll bar.JPG

working on a shield for the rear end
    rear end shield.JPG

10. Old Jimmy Six

Old Jimmy Six

I quit going to the HAMB drags because they only let SDRA cars use timed runs with the regular dragsters. I do most of my racing in Tulsa, or MO-KAN. I live about 15 miles from LUCAS OIL Speedway and they have a world class 1/4 mile dirt track and a drag boat lake. They are supposed to build a 1/4 mile drag track soon. My car has been built for 6 years and I last raced at Tulsa in October and took Porch Dog spot. I was 2009 Champion but I have done nothing to the car so it is getting tired. I take it to schools and show kids also, let them sit in it and get their pictures taken. I went through 3 clutches and 2 transmissions before putting a Powerglide in. I change the oil twice a year and plugs twice a year and that is all. It still runs in the low 11s and from 115 to 117. If you would like to visit contact me at [email protected]

11. 4x4machinist

4x4machinist
    from Missouri

It's been about a year since I worked on this car, I'm back on task! Did some sheet metal work making the floor. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1418426625.753650.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1418426644.953183.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1418426662.736223.jpg
    Also briefly ran the motor, I never heard it run so I didn't know what to expect, it sounded good!! Is in need of some gaskets, it leaks oil bad!!

12. 4x4,Lookin good, glad to see you're back workin on it.

13. Old28

Old28

Looking forward to seeing the cage on the frame. This ride with the flat floor & raised seat will make getting in and out a lot better. Nice work, glad the motor is a runner. With a stock 250 Chevy you should be able to run 13's - 14's all day. How wide will the cage shoulder bar be inside?

14. 4x4machinist

4x4machinist
    from Missouri

Tom, cage will be 23-1/2 wide on the inside.

15. Old28

Old28

Take lots of pictures while constructing the cage as this is the area that provides a lot of information for present builder modifications and future builders. Keep up the good work. Great winter project.

16. Daniel Clark

Daniel Clark