Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need Info On Air Bags

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by -Malign Motorsports-, Nov 22, 2013.

1. I have a 53 Chevy Bel Air that I would like to bag and I have used the search button and came up empty.

I need to find the correct bag size of the bag for the front and rear and where I can buy the tubed bag spacer or where I could have a set made.

Thanks,
    John

2. Pinchecharlie

Pinchecharlie
    from Montana

Not a expert but I baged my 49 ford front and rear. The bags I used were slam specialties and the general consensus is the bigger the better for are heavy cars. Air bags are a lot of work but fun you need to mock up the car the way you want it to ride and you want to install th bag so that at ride height you have the ideal pressure in the bag ie; to much stiff, to little soft. There is a wealth of info on the web just not as much here( not so traditional) google it for mini trucks. Gambinoes customs on here a hamb vendor deals with lots of tail dragster stuff, I bought my rear four bar and bags from him he's a straight shooter and will help you understand what you need.unfortunatly it's up to you to finger out what you have to do to fab it up or else pay for it but it's not too hard once you get going . As for the spacer and the plates and pieces they are easy to make and easy to buy call gambinos after you do a little research. Hope this helps

3. Thanks man, I will give him a call. I also should have stated that I don't want to do a mustang II front end and would love to keep the stock front end.

4. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

5. Thank you Inked, very helpful.

6. n847

n847

Gambino kits are very well priced, and I hear they have great customer support!

7. I just dont want to cut the car all apart, just a simple notch on the rear and no cutting on the front.

I know they make killer products and love their work, just a bit extreme for this build.

8. chevrolayd

chevrolayd

There is no way to bag the front with out cutting the lower control arms and spring pocket. Use 6 inch slam bags dont use anything smaller or its not worth doing.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. Pinchecharlie

Pinchecharlie
    from Montana

He's right no way to go with bags and not do a lot of cutting and moving bits around. My car will go completely flat frame on the ground and the simple notch turned into a six inch high tranny tunnel, crazy back seat floor for the four bars, cutting out wheel wells, not to mention modifying upper and lower control arms re locating shock mounts dealing with sway bar and moving just about everything that's there! It's major surgery but it's about as cool as it gets. Unfurtunatly you can't really do a little at a time so research it and go for it, it's only money and when your done you'll have learned a bunch!

Attached Files:

10. I know there will be some cutting involved, I just meant like installing a mustang II frontend or something along those lines.

11. chevrolayd

chevrolayd

I have had a bagged stock front end in my 54 for 4 years and will be switching to a mustang II next year for better handling. If you havnt rebuilt your front end yet I wouldnt put the money into it. Just my opinion not telling you how to build your car just making a suggestion. If you need help and picks let me know I will send you what you need. If you search 54 chevy bagged front end there is a lot of pics and info. Good luck with your build

12. NATESBPD

NATESBPD

I bagged my 40 with mustang 2 front end and no c notch out back..it sits nice..I have a few bag contacts...

Attached Files: